Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
harleytoprock

Default Torque tube connection

With high mileage Model A's, is there ever an issue with wear at the torque tube/transmission connection that could cause vibration, noise, problems, etc?
Thanks!
harleytoprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:55 PM   #2
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Torque tube connection

I've never had one .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
Joe K

It's always possible that the Ujoint could be on it's way out. Not to mention the rearmost (output) bearing of the tranny - which is in the same area.

Ford's original design "ring" type UJs are more susceptable IMHO. These are rugged in concept - but time and wear do wear them down. They can be rebuilt using bushings and cutting out the rivets that hold the two parts of the rings together. But it's a job for a machinist (enlarging the pivot holes and truing up the forks) and not exactly a shadetree mechanic repair.

The later Dana-Spicer yoke/X style universal is much more easily serviced: replacement sealed bearings are available and snap ring pliers can be bought at Harbor Freight. Being sealed the D-S UJs have a longer life by definition.

But nothing is forever. Were I to guess I might say you have the earlier ring type UJ - not only do these wear faster, but also result in larger unbalanced force once the ring gets off center. D-S UJs you usually break the X and it fails suddenly and completely. (and noisily - having heard the thump-thump-thump of the two parts hitting off one another.)

Joe K
Old 12-04-2014, 05:01 PM   #4
31Tudor

I haven't had one either, but your vibration could be coming from the U-joint. Especially since you said it was a high mileage A. The vibration could easily be transferred from the U-joint to seem like it was the connection area.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #5
Purdy Swoft

I agree it could be the universal joint. I took the question to mean wear where the end of the torque tube meets the universal joint housing. Sorry if I jumped to conclusions there
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #6
harleytoprock

Purdy, you do have it right. I was just curious if that connection does wear out since there would be movement there when the rear end bounces up and down . I'm sure the u joint is shot on my car ( and everything else)but was wondering if that connection wears out also. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

I've never seen measurable wear at the coupling, but I have seen gouges due to lack of lubrication.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
larrys40

I worked on a coupe a couple of years back that had a horrendous vibration
I got the rear back and the I joint bolt was loose and the bolt wore down with all the tread off . The shaft was ok , I replaced the worn u joint and washer/bolt and reassembled. Vibration still there! Long story short I tore apart the driveshaft and torque tube and replaced the front sleeve and bearing at the speedo drive but the end culprit was the torque tube itself no outward damage I could see but changing it cures the problem
I pulled that rear 5 times!
I believe if you have loose pinion bearings it too could cause an issue. You just have to check it out usually it will show up with other noises as well but then you never know .
Let ya know what you find

Jacket and it car lift firmly and run the driveline at a fast idle and use a mechanics stethoscope to listen . Remember driveshaft noise travels the driveshaft easily
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:01 PM   #9
harleytoprock

Larry, Thanks for the info. If I understand correctly, your torque tube was the problem? So, what ws actualy wrong with the torque tube?
Old 12-05-2014, 12:30 PM   #10
townsedan29

a club member had a vibration from that area turned out to be worn drive shaft where it rides on bearing. replaced drive shaft and bearing problem went away
townsedan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #11
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleytoprock View Post
Larry, Thanks for the info. If I understand correctly, your torque tube was the problem? So, what ws actualy wrong with the torque tube?
I suspect the car had been in an accident or something at some time
I had previously replaced the front bearings and even the driveshaft
There was a slight tightness to it when assembled . I have donee my rear axles so have good experience there . I was down to the torque tube ... Pulled one from my stick and replaced just that and even used the bearing and race I put in the original one and all fit well and vibration was gone

In all my service work I never had one like that
I would suggest running on jack stands to see where it's at ... Feel the I joint area / torque tube and rear. Make sure you don't have a tire/wheel issue
While driving down the road with engine off and coasting is it still doing it?
If so it is between the wheels and the trans main drive shaft

Drop me a line back and let me know
Thx
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote