Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2014, 05:24 AM   #1
bomar

Default Glove box radio

Does anyone have instructions to install a glove box radio in a 1933 Ford
bomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
whizzernick

Default Re: Glove box radio

go look in the service bulletins. They make a nice repo of this full size. Also if you go to the 33 - 34 Ford Bible I'm sure it's in there to. Do you have the Grimsby grunlow radio or the zenith? Zenith is a better radio.
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
JR48

I have an original, but non-functioning glove box radio in my 34 Roadster. My question is are they worth fixing?
What with the vacuum tubes being continually vibrated and the suppressors on the plugs not suppressing 100% I thought it might not be worth the trouble. What is the experience of other Fordbarners with a glove box radio? Should I get it restored and working?
As Bomar said above there is a very good repro Ford radio guide which I do have.
JR48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #4
gearhead1952

I have a working original 34 radio with original caps even and they do sound nice. We only have one am radio station worth listening to out here and it is an oldies format so it is perfect. I have a tube radio in my f1 that I redid and am happy with it. If you don't like the am stations you can get a redi-rad unit to plug in your ipod or zune player. My mp3 player has an fm tuner built into it.
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
FrankWest

On ebay there is a guy selling for 50$ an am radio transmitter. I use it to transmit mp3 1933/34 songs through my ford radio. Like going back in time.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:20 AM   #6
AnthonyG

Bomar, depends on why you want to do it. If you are big on originality and formal shows then go for it. Keep in mind AM doesn't have much on it anymore and stations have a lot of static unless you close to them. If you just like the look and are an informal show / rod run guy who just likes to cruise just pretty it up for looks and go with an I-phone / I pod / or micro am/fm remote hook up with some nice hidden speakers. My old is center dash mounted, I shined it up for looks and went with the hidden remote and the sound is great and you wouldn't even know it's there.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
DavidG

Part of the static problem may be the lack of all the suppressors. In addition to the spark plug suppressors, the original installation included condensers on the generator and on the distributor.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
keith oh

Years ago when carbon fiber plug wires came out I changed my 35's solid plug wires and found they did a better job of suppressing radio noise than those ugly top of the plug suppressers. They lasted over 20 years before breaking down and had to be replaced. At some point all cars were equipped with CF wires and are much better than they were at first at both ignition noise suppression and durability.
keith oh is offline   Reply With Quote