Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2014, 08:37 PM   #1
V12Bill

Default Condensers

A few weeks ago, I had to be towed home from an outing in my 1939 Pickup. When I removed the coil, I noticed that it was cracked. I was told that the case cracked from leaving the ignition on. I got a new coil from Skip and installed that. It ran badly and couldn't muster the power to pull itself out of the garage. I rechecked all the connections and decided to change the condenser. The engine started and ran smoothly. I checked the spark and there is only a white spark about 1/16" in length. I know that the spark should be bluish and at least 1/4" long. I am sure that my tow home was caused by a bad condenser that wouldn't allow the engine to start and the coil over heated in my 45 minute attempt to get the engine started again. Is my new condenser not up to snuff? Am I setting myself up for a repeat failure? How does one check a condenser?
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
gearhead1952

Default Re: Condensers

Some digital meters like my Fluke have the ability to measure capacitance. Can use a meter and then a heat gun to warm it up to see if it breaks down when warm.
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

If your condensor was going bad, chances are your points have pitted/burned some. You may need to clean those up or replace them, and reset the gap and timing.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
G.M.

Check the spark to a head nut not the spark plug. G.M.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
V12Bill

Just an up date on my problem. Today I drove the pickup around the block and it had some hesitation and missing before I completed the circuit. I removed that condenser and replaced it with an IH 200 condenser and it made the circuit around the block,so I ventured out to fill the tank with gas. It made it out to the gas station and back with no apparent problems. I will start to expand my trips and at higher speeds and see if the problem is cured.
Who would have thought that a little condenser could be such a pain in the ankle.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:53 AM   #6
Tinker

I remembered this discussion from a while back. I found it very informative.

http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread...nsor+gmc+bubba
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
russcc

Heard a great idea from Ray Helgers last week about condensers and coils. Condensers, keep a spare in your car with an alligator clip on it to hook right to your coil in the event the one in the dist. fails. Coils, there are some defective coils out there, the one in this case was a NAPA. You could shake the coil and hear the oil sloshing around. Not enough oil allows the coil to overheat as some ofthe coil wires are out of the oil.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:23 AM   #8
CC33

"Condensers, keep a spare in your car with an alligator clip on it to hook right to your coil in the event the one in the dist. fails."

Please explain. ('33 style coil)
CC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:30 AM   #9
deuce_roadster

I keep an IH 200 with 2 wires with alligator clips, one on the condenser lead the other for the ground. This way, I can clip the ground side anywhere and the lead to the coil wire connection. Should get you home.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote