Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
Old Henry

Default Not so Super Bright LEDS

I just got in some LED bulbs from http://www.superbrightleds.com/ to try in my tail/brake lights on my '47. I have blue dot lenses. The LED bulb sure lit the blue dot up nicely but nothing else. It is totally directional one direction. It throws no light onto the rest of the lens nor anything to the side or back into the fixture to light up the rest of the lens. Woefully inadequate. I'll be sending them back and getting replacement for my halogen that just burned out. Here are some photos showing comparison of LED to standard incandescents and halogens.

LED lighting up the blue dot only:

LED on the left. Standard incandescent on the right:

LED on the left. Halogen on the right.

Standard incandescent on the left. Halogen on the right.

The LED I tried:

P.S. The LED bulb would not work turned in the socket, only just pushed straight in. And, there was no change in the bulb when brakes were put on.

Last edited by Old Henry; 07-28-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #2
Brian

Default Re: Not so Super Bright LEDS

Henry, This style LED is, in my opinion, the type you want;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1942-1948-Fo...sories&vxp=mtr
They make them in different styles to suit different cars. I run the 33-36 style they offer in my 35, and I love them! What you do is use the mounted LEDS they supply, but throw away their rubbish plastic lenses, sustituting them instead for your glass ones.
Now...you're gonna tell me you are still running 6 volt aren't you? I could be wrong, but I think that even though these are rated at 12 volt, the current draw is so small [applying brakes in my 35 does not even make ammeter flicker], that they'd work perfectly well on 6 jolts. Brian
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:29 AM   #3
54mainlinetim

Old henry, The reason they only light up the very center(which does look super bright) and dont throw the lighting outward or back into the fixture is because the 1157-x19 bulb you have pictured they are a "Narrow viewing angle" style bulb and designed that way, as stated on some of the bulbs in the same selection box you picked yours from ,If you goto this page http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...15x-x12x19.htm and go down to the second picture which is the 1157-x19 bulb you have pictured and click on the 3D view option , the picture that pops up says "Narrow angle LED"

If you go to this page of the website http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...rake-turn.html and look at the bulbs in the 2nd selection box under the ones you purchased ,at the bulbs 1157 Dual & 1156 Single Contact BA15 High Power SMD LED Automotive Bulbs
with the LED's not only on the top but also the sides of the bulb you'll see they are a "360 degree Viewing Angle" bulbs which throw light all the way around the fixture, but they cost quite abit more then the ones you bought.So most likely it was a misunderstanding from the buyer and not the bulbs fault hope this helps and congrats on the super amount of posts you have made!

Last edited by 54mainlinetim; 04-06-2012 at 02:14 AM.
54mainlinetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:10 AM   #4
Terry,OH

Make sure to order the correct color when you use the red lens (see their instructions). Note your photo of the dimensions of the bulb base one pin is 0.21 from the very boittom and the other is 0.356. This is the offset pin base of the 1157. If you have the socket for the bulb with the pins at the same dimension then the 1157 style bulb will not turn and lock in place. I do not believe they offer their LED bulb with the other base.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54mainlinetim View Post
Old henry, The reason they only light up the very center(which does look super bright) and dont throw the lighting outward or back into the fixture is because the 1157-x19 bulb you have pictured they are a "Narrow viewing angle" style bulb and designed that way, as stated on some of the bulbs in the same selection box you picked yours from ,If you goto this page http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...15x-x12x19.htm and go down to the second picture which is the 1157-x19 bulb you have pictured and click on the 3D view option , the picture that pops up says "Narrow angle LED"

If you go to this page of the website http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...rake-turn.html and look at the bulbs in the 2nd selection box under the ones you purchased ,at the bulbs 1157 Dual & 1156 Single Contact BA15 High Power SMD LED Automotive Bulbs
with the LED's not only on the top but also the sides of the bulb you'll see they are a "360 degree Viewing Angle" bulbs which throw light all the way around the fixture, but they cost quite abit more then the ones you bought.So most likely it was a misunderstanding from the buyer and not the bulbs fault hope this helps and congrats on the super amount of posts you have made!
All of your information is about 12 volt bulbs. There are, indeed, a lot more choices for 12 volt. Since I'm at 6 volt I got one choice only on this page: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...57-x12-24V.htm I bought the only bulb available for tail/brake light for 6 volt. I did have a choice between 15 degree viewing angle and 100 degree viewing angle. I bought the "wide angle" 100 degree viewing angle bulb and that's what I got.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Henry, This style LED is, in my opinion, the type you want;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1942-1948-Fo...sories&vxp=mtr
They make them in different styles to suit different cars. I run the 33-36 style they offer in my 35, and I love them! What you do is use the mounted LEDS they supply, but throw away their rubbish plastic lenses, sustituting them instead for your glass ones.
Now...you're gonna tell me you are still running 6 volt aren't you? I could be wrong, but I think that even though these are rated at 12 volt, the current draw is so small [applying brakes in my 35 does not even make ammeter flicker], that they'd work perfectly well on 6 jolts. Brian
LED's are very voltage sensitive, meaning they must have their rated voltage to operate. They're not like an incandescent bulb that will run on lower voltage, just dimmer. If LED's don't have the proper voltage they just don't light up. I've tried it. That's how they are.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
Make sure to order the correct color when you use the red lens (see their instructions). Note your photo of the dimensions of the bulb base one pin is 0.21 from the very boittom and the other is 0.356. This is the offset pin base of the 1157. If you have the socket for the bulb with the pins at the same dimension then the 1157 style bulb will not turn and lock in place. I do not believe they offer their LED bulb with the other base.
The bulb would turn and lock like it's supposed to but the contacts were not lined up right to contact locked in place. They would only contact when first pushed in.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
48Flyer

I know these are 12 volt, but they are, by far, the best tail lights for a 46-48 ford.
http://www.cool-leds.com/42ford.htm
48Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
gearhead1952

I bought some 12V ones for my trailer. LEDs operate on a very low voltage, a lot less than 6v. So a dropping resistor is mounted in the assembly somewhere. I can easily see the resistor on the bulbs I got. Simple matter of soldering a replacement resistor in there to work on 6V. I agree the SMDs are the ones you want. The resistor size will depend on how many leds are mounted on the assembly.
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
4dFord/SC

I've had good luck with the Super-Brite 6v, 14/50 CP, filament bulb from Sacramento Vintage Ford (p/n 06143-6SB). I also painted my tail light buckets white.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dFord/SC View Post
I've had good luck with the Super-Brite 6v, 14/50 CP, filament bulb from Sacramento Vintage Ford (p/n 06143-6SB). I also painted my tail light buckets white.
Thanks for the tip. Looks like a good bulb to try. I just ordered three of them.

Last edited by Old Henry; 04-06-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #12
Graeme / New Zealand

I still use the standard 6v bulb in mine. When I got the car the housing was painted black so you can imagine how useless the illumination was. Recently I took them out and painted them silver. Over the top of that I sprayed some of that "chrome" styled paint in a rattle can. I was amazed at the difference in brightness. It looks like a 12v setup now. PerHaps I should try some LEDs for a greater effect.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #13
TomT/Williamsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Flyer View Post
I know these are 12 volt, but they are, by far, the best tail lights for a 46-48 ford.
http://www.cool-leds.com/42ford.htm
Although I am 12 volts, I have the equivalent light in 40 sargent stripe style and they ARE the brightest taillights I've ever had and I've tried them ALL!!!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #14
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand View Post
I still use the standard 6v bulb in mine. When I got the car the housing was painted black so you can imagine how useless the illumination was. Recently I took them out and painted them silver. Over the top of that I sprayed some of that "chrome" styled paint in a rattle can. I was amazed at the difference in brightness. It looks like a 12v setup now. PerHaps I should try some LEDs for a greater effect.

GB
I actually painted the inside of one of mine silver and the other white to see which was brightest and the white was noticeabley brighter than the silver/chrome paint. I also compared white to aluminum foil lining the fixture. White was still brighter so I've painted both white. I also cut and inserted a backing to fill the "black hole" behind the bulb from which no light can reflect and painted it white too for maximum brightness. I was never pulled over for my lights being out (dim) until I put my blue dots in. The original bulbs just don't put out enough light for the blue dots and the cops started pulling me over for no lights. (After we'd get stopped and they walked up to my door they'd say, "Did you just turn your tail lights on? They were off when I pulled you over." No, they were just dim.) That's why I've got to have brighter than stock bulbs.

Last edited by Old Henry; 04-06-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #15
Graeme / New Zealand

Henry. Yes I've heard that white is actually the best reflector and you've done the test. I've got blue dots in mine, the car came with them in but I have thought about changing them out for the original Duolite glass. Brighter is safer too so its a good move on your part with the LEDs and has got me too thinking.

GB

Old 04-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #16
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand View Post
Brighter is safer too so its a good move on your part with the LEDs and has got me too thinking.

GB
I still have not found an LED bulb that will work for our 6 volt fixtures. (See https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67526) That's why I've been using halogens. But, I've just ordered the super bright incandescents recommended by 4dFord/SC at #10 as they are rated as bright as the halogens and hopefully last longer. They're available here: http://www.vintageford.com/part_sear...3-6sb&Category=
Old 04-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #17
Graeme / New Zealand

Cheers for that OH I've copied that into my "V8" folder.

GB

Old 04-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #18
Strick

gloss white or flat white or does it matter? think i'll try this out along with the bulbs from Sacremento Vintage Ford.

Looking for DENVER heads - 81AS - 99AS - 19AS
Strick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #19
4dFord/SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick View Post
gloss white or flat white or does it matter? think i'll try this out along with the bulbs from Sacremento Vintage Ford.
I used gloss, but I suspect the color is more important than the finish.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #20
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dFord/SC View Post
I used gloss, but I suspect the color is more important than the finish.
I used gloss too.