Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
39portlander

Question HVLP paint spray system...

Would like some input, if any one is or has used the TP Showtime 90 turbine unit. I am looking to get away from the rattle cans and a little more sophisticated.

Have to paint that nice bed I got from Northern classic truck. Any input would be great. Scott
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
wamnram

Default Re: HVLP paint spray system...

I have one and and use it only occasionally. For what it's worth, and this is just my experience as an amateur hobbyist, we're I to purchase another unit I would spend a little extra and get a better unit, especially the spray gun itself. With the TP unit, if everything is just right I can lay down paint like glass. Normally I get a small amount of orange peel, but I usually spray base coat/clear coat systems so I can wet sand and buff to fix. The TP units are good, not cheap junk, and with practice will do a good job. For the serious painter you would probably want a better unit.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
Tinker

Just my thought. Paint is prep first. Then to odd as it seems the air setup is more important then the gun. Filters to get rid of water in the line is important. Surprising for much water gets into the air system. The bigger the air system the less you have to worry about it.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
Kurt in NJ

My father bought one many yearts ago, it worked pretty good in the beginning, it did get warm--almost hot after a few cups of paint -----then it got loaned out, never was the same again---I think it was used for latex paint
I did find a new use for the "compresser", hook up to garden hose and put up the back of the sandblast hood---if hot out coil a few turns of the hose in a tub of ice water, you still need the respirator though

I painted my car with a speedy sprayer diaphram compresser set---it worked good enough
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:01 PM   #5
Bored&Stroked

Like anything else, the 'paint equipment business' has many levels of products, capabilities and costs. You need to decide how much of this you're going to do over the next XXX years. If you're like me - probably quite a bit.

So, the biggest investment will be a good compressor, associated water filters, etc.. Once you have that, then a whole host of air tools and spray equipment comes into the picture. There are some pretty decent HVLP guns available in the range of $150 - $300 . . . you'll be so glad you spent the money on them. I have a lot of high-end stuff ($600 guns) and some of the lower end.

For the money, you can't go wrong with the Devilbiss 'Finishline' series of guns - probably mid-range, but very capable equipment. I think I paid about $350 for a two-gun kit (large gun and touch-up gun). I have a few different tip/nozzle sizes - some for primer, some for base, some for clear. Truth be told, I use this equipment more that my high-end Sata stuff . . . for routine work. When it comes to a complete paint job - then I bring in the 'Big Dogs'!

Compressor first . . . clean air . . . mid-range gun . . . you'll love it!

B&S
Bored&Stroked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:29 PM   #6
quickchange34

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Don't waste your money take the advise of Bored&Stroked and get a good compressor, decent gun, filters for clean air.
quickchange34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #7
Ken Crans

If it's worth to you 39, if you do alot of paint jobs..yes invest in all the good stuff.If just doing it ocasionally,try the TP unit. I have been painting for 40 years and used all different systems including the TP. you get what you pay for. and equipment. the TP unit is good and they have updated the spray guns. Good luck
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:08 PM   #8
39portlander

Thanks for the input guys. I am the "occasional painter" for what the TP system claims, quick-efficient and less overspray of conventional paint guns, will let the Fordbarn know how I make out.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:21 AM   #9
TomO

If you already have a 5hp compressor, I would ho with the Devilbiss Finish Line guns. They are great for the occasional painter. If you do not have the compressor, think about buying one as they have many uses besides painting. The turbine systems do not have other uses and are not as user friendly as the Devillbiss guns.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:26 PM   #10
supereal

I always farm out the paint jobs. One prerequisite for successful automobile painting is a properly ventilated booth. This insures less airborne dirt will mar the finished results. For the occasional painter, it doesn't make much sense to buy a suitable compressor, air dryer, and guns for one or two uses. The painter we use has us remove the fenders, hood, trim, etc, before bringing it in, to contain labor costs. He knows how to mix paint with additives to prevent "fish eyes" caused by silicone embedded in the surface of most vintage vehicles. Given the very high cost for materials, it isn't a DIY job anymore.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote