Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2015, 12:29 PM   #41
Old Henry

Default Re: To Powder or Not To Powder? That is the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Out of curiosity, did you compare the cross sections of the tubes to determine if the bad one may have been oversized?
Here's the 5.50-6.40X16 tube laying on top of the MR16 tube that crumpled. I just looked up the size of the MR16 tube that Coker sent me as a 5.50-6.00X16 tube. It is 7.00X16. Way too big.

Here's the tube Coker sent me that crumpled and leaked at the creases.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:39 PM   #42
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand View Post
Progress really started for Ford once "the old man" croaked

GB
Anyone that has actually studied the Ford Motor Co and especially Henry Ford realizes that your statement is quite factual.
Ol' Henry cost that company a boat load of market share with his thinking.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #43
A bones

I've mentioned this before, in other threads. Been too lazy to research it. Does anyone know what Germans do when they need an inner tube?

When my health improves things will happen. Doing nothing these days.

Last edited by A bones; 01-09-2015 at 02:16 PM. Reason: To clarify
A bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:28 PM   #44
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Anyone that has actually studied the Ford Motor Co and especially Henry Ford realizes that your statement is quite factual.
Ol' Henry cost that company a boat load of market share with his thinking.
Think you might have to qualify that, Henry was a very smart engineer and his ideas built the company from nothing to one of the largest in the world. So, in the early years he was brilliant. As time pasted he didn't like the company engineers changing his designs and started hampering progress. So, later yes he blocked progress but early on he promoted progress. It depends on the time period!

On the other hand, Henry's reluctance for change is what made the early Fords as popular as they are today.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:15 PM   #45
scooder

Don't think it needs qualifying, I believe Henry was very reluctant at stopping building Model T's and replacing it with the Model A.
I know he had a lot of good ideas, and put a lot of them in production in the early years ( ie before they built cars that look like cars and not like a badly arranged lounge chair on 7 foot tall 1 inch wide wheels) the cars I (we) love here are thanks to the Ford Motor Company and it's team of engineers and persuaders (sp?)
Like most car companies, they built a lot of good stuff and a bunch of bad stuff, but with Ford the good far outweighs the bad, unlike the other brands.
Just a little tongue in cheek note to the "its called progress" camp, overhead valve engines are also progress. You wouldn't tug the flatmotor out and put a damn monkey motion motor in there would you?
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:17 PM   #46
V8COOPMAN

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
Don't think it needs qualifying, I believe Henry was very reluctant at stopping building Model T's and replacing it with the Model A.

Just a little tongue in cheek note to the "its called progress" camp, overhead valve engines are also progress. You wouldn't tug the flatmotor out and put a damn monkey motion motor in there would you?
Martin.
Ya gotta admit that the only reason we have SO many '28 thru '40 Fords (the "really collectibles) left today is 'cuz Ford managed to build and sell UMPTEEN gazillion of them, and because at least a FEW gazillion of them ended-up in junk yards during those earlier decades, numerous affordable outlets were always available to supply cheap replacement parts well into the '60s. The Chevies thru '36 got scrapped as soon as the wood rotted, and the lesser oddballs got scrapped when no-one had any use left for that junk.

Henry's sales rested upon their laurels after a while. Henry was the LAST major to utilize hydraulic brakes by a long shot, and even then resisted paying the fee to Bendix until '49 for the right to utilize a decent hydraulic brake that worked WELL. God knows our precious flathead was a boat anchor compared to what the "smart" manufacturers had figured-out for '49. And, there aren't but a handful of '52-on "early Fords" that the front suspensions haven't rotted-off of years ago, where-as GM had a robust frame and suspension design since about 1937.

Don't mis-interpret what I'm saying.....I love flattys and I-beams and banjos and Lockheeds as much as any of ya, and I wouldn't change any of Henry's cheap-ass decisions for nothin'! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:55 PM   #47
scooder

You have some good points there double D, I'd still trade a solid frame 53 brand X for a 53 Ford with it rusty front end any day.
I can fix rust, but I can't fix pug ugly and a far to long and tall engine. I know cus I had a 52 X, only one, won't happen again.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote