Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2015, 12:08 AM   #1
Old Henry

Default 47 Tranny won't go into 3rd gear

I had this problem a while back but it was just the linkage from the steering column catching on the brake pedal return spring. Easy fix. Now it's not that nor anything external but something inside the transmission. I'm wondering what the chance is of removing the side panel with the shifting levers in it and finding something that can be fixed without removing the tranny from the car. Any ideas?
Old 02-28-2015, 12:59 AM   #2
Russ/40

Default Re: 47 Tranny won't go into 3rd gear

I'd say slim to none
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #3
Kurt in NJ

does it feel ike it goes into 3rd, --the shift lever move as far as before problem

Have you tried to shift it at the trans with the linkage disconnected
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:41 AM   #4
Charlie ny
BANNED

OH,
I'm with Kurt, if you can get 2nd gear with no sweat hopefully you'll find an external problem.
Charlie ny
Pepe wants to GO !!
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #5
rotorwrench

High gear is a direct coupling of the input to the mainshaft output through the synchroniser. It could still be something with the shift mechanism so Kurt in NJ has a good check for that. If that doesn't work and there is a failure of a blocker ring or the synchro teeth, the transmission will have to come out.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
Kube

I would suggest you make sure with 100% certainty that all of the linkage is in "as new" condition. This includes all of the bushings, top and bottom, on the shift rods. It also includes the rods (ends) as well as the two forks on the transmission side cover.
A little wear "here", a little wear "there" and you end up with shifting issues. With all due respect, you are not known for maintaining quality components on your sedan.
Once you KNOW the linkage is in "as new" condition AND the rods are adjusted CORRECTLY, only then would I think to open the transmission. "First things first" as is often said.
If the above does not solve your problem, all repairs within a transmission dictate the transmission must be removed.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:39 PM   #7
Russ/40

Repeating my answer to your question originally asked, no way, but heed Kubes advice to eliminate the linkage issues. He's right on.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #8
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
Repeating my answer to your question originally asked, no way, but heed Kubes advice to eliminate the linkage issues. He's right on.
I agree with you Russ in that it is probably the transmsission as the root cause of the issues mentioned. However, like you, I figured it best to eliminate the "easy fix" stuff before tearing out that transmission.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:46 PM   #9
Mart

As generally mentioned above, I would investigate.

I would set the car up on stands so I can get underneath safely. I would then observe underneath while an assistant moves the shifter into top. I would then see if the trans would then go fully into top with a bit of manual assistance from below.

The course of action would be dictated by the findings.

Scenario 1: if the trans goes half way in with the linkage and then fully in with manual help then the linkage needs reworking or if in good shape, adjusting.

Scenario 2: If it doesn't want to go into top even with help from underneath, I would remove the linkage and try and engage all gears by hand from underneath.

I'd need the results from the tests so far to be able to suggest any further steps.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:54 PM   #10
V8COOPMAN

That's about as straight-forward as it gets, Mart. Only reasonable plan of action......not hard to figure out. No "secret" mystery-fixes. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:06 PM   #11
Old Henry

Funny. I just finished my 6 day 2,379 mile road trip to Mexico with no mechanical problems other than flat tires and the next day this happens. Weird. Just weird. My guardian angel must have been working overtime on the trip.

Last edited by Old Henry; 02-28-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:39 PM   #12
George/Maine

Are you able to put in neutral, could be you are locked in two gears.
Column linkage should be about even in neutral.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:44 PM   #13
Old Henry

Not locked in two gears. Will go in all gears and neutral except 3rd. Linkage is OK. It's inside. Just wonder what it might be and if it might be just the forks and that mechanism that I might fix by removing just that without removing the whole transmission. That's all.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:50 PM   #14
George/Maine

You can remove the side cover, if it no good you have nothing to lose.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:55 PM   #15
Mac VP

Be sure first that the shift lever on the trans is definitely capable of putting it into third gear. I would get the rear wheels up and free off the floor. Prop the clutch pedal down to the floor. Remove the shift link rod from the front lever. Try to shift the lever into high gear by pushing the lever toward the rear of the car. If it doesn't go all the way in, have someone rotate the rear wheel slightly. If it still won't go all the way into third, something internal is preventing it.

Generally the problem would be one or two of the synchro inserts hung up or a piece broken off, preventing the full travel of the shift. This will require getting the trans out and apart.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:15 PM   #16
oldford2

Professor,
I hope your transmission problem turns out to be a simple linkage problem. When you get a chance, tell us about your trip.
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:20 PM   #17
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac VP View Post
Be sure first that the shift lever on the trans is definitely capable of putting it into third gear. I would get the rear wheels up and free off the floor. Prop the clutch pedal down to the floor. Remove the shift link rod from the front lever. Try to shift the lever into high gear by pushing the lever toward the rear of the car. If it doesn't go all the way in, have someone rotate the rear wheel slightly. If it still won't go all the way into third, something internal is preventing it.

Generally the problem would be one or two of the synchro inserts hung up or a piece broken off, preventing the full travel of the shift. This will require getting the trans out and apart.

Thanks, Mac. That's just what I wanted to know.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:21 PM   #18
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
Professor,
I hope your transmission problem turns out to be a simple linkage problem. When you get a chance, tell us about your trip.
John
I'm still working on the report. There are lots of videos that take a lot of time to create. And, I hope this telling of the story will be better than ever. It was quite the trip.

Stay tuned.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:49 PM   #19
Old Henry

And the winner is . . . Mac VP.

Took the gearshift housing off, hoping it would be a problem with that. It wasn't. It was as Mac said, the syncro sleeve slides fine into 2nd than back to the neutral position but will not slide into 3rd position no way. It doesn't even get close to the syncro ring. So, it's gotta be one of those stupid little inserts or balls that are messed up keeping it from sliding. Easy fix once I get the thing out of the car. But, as Mac said, the whole shebang's gotta come out. That'll be another day. At least I know now.

Last edited by Old Henry; 03-04-2015 at 09:58 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:14 AM   #20
Old Henry

Here's the culprit:

That's the 1" long insert in the syncro hub. That itsy bitsy broken off piece jammed the synchronizer ring so that it wouldn't shift the little bit that it need to to allow the sleeve to slide onto 3rd gear. That was it. Whoda thunk?

Price to replace broken part? One dolla bill.