Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #1
Old Henry

Default To Grouse Creek and the AAA garage

Again, wife went on a three day outing with grandkids (for grandmas only) so Pepe and I did a quick road trip to a ghost town, a small remote community, and the AAA garage. Here's the story.

Started out headed north on I-15 then I-84 to Snowville, UT, just before the Utah-Idaho border. There we filled up with gas - our last chance for I wasn't sure how far -left the freeway and headed west on Utah Hwy 30. Our first stop was the ghost town of Park Valley first an agricultural settlement in 1869 but boomed to 500 population in the 1890's until the gold ran out in 1914 when it was all but abandoned. Current population under 100. Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX64CZaXGlE

Park Valley's old Main Street lined with huge old trees and abandoned houses: (where's Pepe?)

The end of old Main Street showing what I think is the old highway continuing west.

Then we continued west until we almost reached the Utah-Nevada line when we left the pavement and headed north for 55 mile of snow covered dirt road headed for the most remote community in Utah - Grouse Creek - 100 miles away from the closest Utah city. Technically it's not a ghost town because it's never been any bigger than it now is. Population 250. Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bim3Y1Orf5I

Entering Grouse Creek - "A Place Like No Other".

The road through Grouse Creek was paved for a two mile stretch then was dirt again for 45 miles to Oakley, Idaho.

It has some great old vacant and abandoned houses.

For all of you "Urban Explorers" that like to explore old abandoned buildings here are a couple of videos of my exploration of this grand old house.

The first one I had some fun with and made "Surreal" as in a wild Technicolor dream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu2L_LgC5RY.
For you that just like it real and raw here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxCzhW4lkts

Our next destination was City of Rocks National Reserve in Idaho so we continued north from Grouse Creek on the snow covered dirt road to try to get there with enough light to photograph and videotape it.

No such luck. It quickly got dark and the road became much more windey and steep than the road that we came to Grouse Creek on. So, speeds were much slower.

As the road went on the gas gauge got lower and lower and I wondered if we'd make it to the next gas station. I was thinking we ought to be getting to City of Rocks so I turned on my computer with the GPS route it had previously plotted for us and discovered that we were on some road way west of the one the computer had in mind for us. I was bewildered because any road that ever went east from ours was covered with snow and had no tire tracks on them and obviously not traveled in the winter. I could see that the next civilization was likely Oakley, Idaho.

Right about then the only other vehicle I'd seen on that road came toward us. What a relief. At least I knew the road didn't just dead end up ahead. I stopped them and learned that Oakley was only about 15 more miles, close enough to not have to put the spare gas from the trunk in, and that the route my GPS program had plotted was, indeed, not passable in the winter. So, we were on the only road we could be on and headed for a gas station. Good news. It was actually just over the next rise that we saw the lights of Oakley.

Made it to Oakley and stopped to fill up. The pattern of snow on the rear of Old Henry showed the air flow and particularly the areas without smooth air flow but turbulence instead (where the snow deposited). An interesting little aerodynamic study.

As we left Oakley headed for Burley and the Bass (dive) Motel where we'd stay for the night the snow really started coming down. Eventually had to use my fog lights because the headlights and spot light reflecting on the falling snow blinded me.

Made it to Burley and bedded down in the dive motel for the night. Why do I always look for the "dives"? For variety and adventure. It's like a box of chocolates (as Forrest Gump used to say) you never know what you're going to get. This one was old and had no working installed heat. Just a couple of space heaters.

It continued snowing all night so that in the morning it had piled up.

And was still snowing.

And 15° F.

So, now, the suspense was - will he start? He'd run and started just fine the night before. I'd made all preparations I could think of to assure a successful cold start - 20W-50 oil and spare 12 volt starter battery in the trunk just in case - so I made the attempt.

No such luck. Cranked slowly but not fast enough to start. So, I did the simple procedure than I have to do once in a while when the generator hasn't kept up. Run long heavy duty jumper cables from the trunk battery to the car battery.

Still no luck. So, I thought maybe it was because it was a deep cycle battery from my trailer that didn't have enough CCA's. So, I got the motel owner out to try it from his jeep that was parked beside Old Henry. No go. I figured his little battery just wasn't big enough so I decided to call in the big battery. So, I broke down and made my first call to AAA in all of my road trips to have them send their big truck with a big battery to try it.

He first hooked up his 30 foot long 12 volt cables that connected to his battery through a plug on the side of the truck. Not much better than before. I told him his cables weren't fat enough for 6 volt. He thought they were but consented to get a second pair of cables out, hook them to his battery and mine along with the other pair. We finally got the engine to crank at starting speed. But, no start. I checked to make sure there was current at the coil and that the points were turning it on and off but just wouldn't fire up.

By then I was real tired of fighting the thing with the snow pelting us so decided to let him tow it to his garage where I could work on it some more out of the snow and cold. So he did.

In the garage, that was only a little warmer than outside, I put a charger on the battery and continued trying to start it every few minutes until it finally started to pop a little and eventually started up so we could be on our way.

By then I'd given up on going to City of Rocks as I expected the roads to there would be as snow packed as all of the ones I'd been travelling and after two long hours of struggle just to get the engine started I headed for home.

I was looking forward to getting on the freeway that's usually plowed and kept fairly clear of ice and snow. No such chance. I was poking along at 45 mph, like most people, just trying to keep the danged bias ply tires going straight down the road. Eventually I likened it to balancing something on your nose. You can not take your eyes off for even a second and must be constantly making minute course corrections because, if you don't you'll totally lose it and crash. Then I started losing power. I got slower and slower until I pulled onto the shoulder and the engine died. Looked down at the gauges and the battery gauge was halfway to full discharge and creeping down.

The ignition and all lights and switches were off so there had to be some major short somewhere. So, I jumped out, opened the hood, and started looking for it. That big of draw had to be heating up a wire somewhere to at least start burning off the insulation (been there, done that before) but nothing. Reached under the dash and wiggled wires under there but no usual burning smell nor any success at stopping the drain. I didn't want to have the battery totally die so I quickly grabbed a wrench and disconnected it. There was a noticeable spark as I pulled the clamp off so some obvious drain.

So, there I was, on the side of the freeway in a blizzard with the big trucks speeding by and sloshing muck up on me and no more ideas what to do so I called AAA back and told them to send the same guys out to get me again.

Then I had the thought, "Maybe whatever was shorted had fixed itself by cooling and disconnecting while the battery was disconnected." So, I touched the clamp to the battery post. No spark. Pushed it on and ran around to check the battery gauge. No more discharging. Tightened the clamp down, got in and started it right up - one of those not too infrequent little quirky miracles I get with Old Henry now and again. Called AAA to cancel the tow and headed on down the freeway.

A shot of Pepe for his fans:

Fortunately, the fresh air heater kept us nice and warm inside.

After a while Old Henry got tired of trying to keep two wipers going and decided to jettison the right wiper and chuck it way off the road in the snow never to be found. Worked out OK since the only one I needed was the left one and it worked twice as good by itself.

Sometime later the old power loss came back but this time, rather than trying to force it to keep going, I just slowed down, pulled off on the shoulder, and nursed it, just barely keeping it going, until it seemed to recover a little, enough to move forward, and poked along on the shoulder until we got to the top of the hill and leveled out when we could get back up to freeway speed.

Here's a short video of each of these incidents: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w80ghyCVGs

At our last gas stop it was starting to get dark and I noticed that the right head light wasn't working. I thought I'd get it going by wiggling those old bullet connectors along the driver's side of the engine compartment like I usually do but that only made things worse - the left one went off. So, drove the rest of the way home on the fog lights alone. It turned out pretty good 'cause anyone in front of me must have thought I was some kind of emergency vehicle 'cause they moved out of my lane as I approached them from the rear. It was really good as I hit rush hour traffic south of Salt Lake City but breezed along faster than all others.

All in all, more adventure than I bargained for but, as always, a great sense of accomplishment to have overcome all obstacles to complete the trip. I did decide, however, not to take Old Henry on our Valentine's Day road trip next weekend. He just does not seem to like the cold.

Total distance 591 miles.

Previous trips:

To Grand Canyon in January 2014: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128820

To Moab, UT in December 2013: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127222

Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument November 2013: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123694

Across Nevada on US 50, "The Loneliest Road in the Country", October 2013: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120098

Mount Evans (the highest paved road in North America) August 2013: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115013

Canada in June 2013: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109872

Monument Valley in March 2013: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99523

Bryce Canyon in February 2013: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97822

Milford, Utah in December 2012: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93137

Nevada and Idaho in November 2012: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89080

Rocky Mountain National Park in September 2012: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83966

Yellowstone National Park in May 2012: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72864

Death Valley in February 2012: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62705

Pike's Peak in July 2011: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19141

Route 66 in April 2010: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57511

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-16-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: To Grouse Creek and the AAA garage

Yet another excellent adventure. Your exploits, with Old Henry in the snow, reminded me of the winters on Long Island when I was in HS and drove my '48 TuDor, the Bias-Ply Boogie was a common occurrence on the ice and snow... those tires made for some interesting driving experiences...
Old 02-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #3
mfagan

Lets have a total of your 2013 miles. My bet is your
going to be on top!
mfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
ken ct
BANNED

What was causing the drain on the battery??? ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:46 PM   #5
ccnelson

Another great road trip, misadventures and all. Keep them coming.
ccnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken ct View Post
What was causing the drain on the battery??? ken ct.
Never figured it out which means it may well happen again sometime. Might have had something to do with the headlight that quit about that same time. I'll probably replace those old bullet connectors and maybe even some wire.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:58 PM   #7
Elmo Rodge

I'm pretty sure I didn't spill my malt on any wires. I'm no electrician but I'd think you could trace something like that. By the way, thanx for taking some snow up to my daughter in Twin. Wayno
Old 02-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #8
green50

Great road trip, I enoyed it! You really enjoy your car, whatever the weather is...good for you!
Old 02-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #9
Ol' Ron

Looks like a trailer queen. only kidding.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:15 PM   #10
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Looks like a trailer queen. only kidding.
At some times it has been - pulling them.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:30 PM   #11
Admiral

Great journey as always! Thanks for sharing. I don't know of many, or frankly ANY vintage-car owners that would take their machines out in that kind of weather. It's amazing that you drive Ol' Hank year round.
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:06 PM   #12
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo Rodge View Post
I'm no electrician but I'd think you could trace something like that. Wayno
And, of course, you are right.
Spent some time on all of those old bullet connectors tonight and found one that ran the bright filaments on the headlights that I guess just wasn't passing the juice as well as it should so, even though it worked fine, it heated way up to where it would melt through the insulation just enough to touch the body and over discharge the battery. Replaced it with a stretch of 10 ga. wire and butt connectors and no more heat. Hopefully that problem is solved . . . for a while at least.

Last edited by Old Henry; 02-09-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:08 PM   #13
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
Great journey as always! Thanks for sharing. I don't know of many, or frankly ANY vintage-car owners that would take their machines out in that kind of weather. It's amazing that you drive Ol' Hank year round.

If I hadn't spent all of my teenage years doing the same thing, driving this car every day to school and work in every kind of weather and "off road" up in the mountains in the summer, I probably wouldn't either. But, I know this car and what it will and will not do so I don't push it beyond its limits and we do just fine.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:01 PM   #14
Mike B

What a ride!

My only concern was as you were going through the 2nd story of the house, we'd see one of those cartoon moments where ya fell through the floor

Thanks for sharing your trip with us!
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:58 PM   #15
Ol' Ron

Well Hank, I got on Google earth and that trip took real guts in this kind of weather. There sure ain't much on that road. Next time run some straight 10 w oil, might start alittle better. Hope you get the wiring sorted out, I'm in the process of re wiring my truck so the kids don't have any trouble.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:39 AM   #16
Graeme / New Zealand

Professor have to say you've got "big bollocks" taking Old Henry on a road trip in that weather and you take all the set backs in your stride and see it as part of the adventure. Once again a thoroughly enjoyable read, I almost felt like I was along for the ride. I look forward to the enstallment of "travellen with Henry ( & Pepe)".

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #17
al's28/33

God Speed Professor! You have to be the most adventurous member of the Ford Barn.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #18
V8COOPMAN

The name ICARUS continues to come to mind when "adventurous" is used here. Icarus' equipment (waxy wings and all) was probably suited for short, low-key hops (like to the Sonic and back), but when he got cocky and adventurous, and he pushed the envelope of wisdom from his ol' dad by flying too far into Mother Nature's pitfalls and "un-foreseens" (too close to the sun), his ill-prepared equipment (waxy wings and band-aids) left Icarus in a pitiful, life-threatening situation that in His case, did not end well. I'm happy that henry didn't hurt himself or Peppy, nor any of the innocent on-coming drivers in the blinding snow storm with no headlights and one, struggling windshield wiper. What an adventure, though! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #19
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfagan View Post
Lets have a total of your 2013 miles. My bet is your going to be on top!
I don't have an exact number for the year 2013 but from my safety inspection in July 2012 I've driven 23,000 miles. That's an average of 1,200+ per month times 12 for 2013 is 15,000+ for the year but I think it was probably higher than that for 2013 since we took more and longer road trips that year so maybe more like 17,000 miles for 2013. Sorry, tried to get a more precise number but that's my best calculation.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #20
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
The name ICARUS continues to come to mind when "adventurous" is used here. Icarus' equipment (waxy wings and all) was probably suited for short, low-key hops (like to the Sonic and back), but when he got cocky and adventurous, and he pushed the envelope of wisdom from his ol' dad by flying too far into Mother Nature's pitfalls and "un-foreseens" (too close to the sun), his ill-prepared equipment (waxy wings and band-aids) left Icarus in a pitiful, life-threatening situation that in His case, did not end well. I'm happy that henry didn't hurt himself or Peppy, nor any of the innocent on-coming drivers in the blinding snow storm with no headlights and one, struggling windshield wiper. What an adventure, though! DD
I like it. Think I'll add "Icarus" to Henry James Bondo Rudolph Ford's other names except you spelled the name wrong. It's spelled "Gossamer Albatross", the bare bones, literal "seat of the pants" human powered aircraft that successfully flew the English Channel in 1979*. I got a good laugh about your suggestion that Old Henry is "probably suited for short, low-key hops (like to Sonic and back)" when he has driven over 23,000 miles in the last 18 months with more than a dozen road trips between 500 and 1,000+ miles each. What has yours done?

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ketusOFabb4

Last edited by Old Henry; 02-17-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #21
dwick01

I believe the majority of us truly enjoy reading about your trips professor. Some of your mishaps, fixes & band-aids are learning tools for the novices out there, which include me. Hopefully, you will not be discouraged on reporting future trips just because of a knuckle head or two.
dwick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:27 PM   #22
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwick01 View Post
I believe the majority of us truly enjoy reading about your trips professor. Some of your mishaps, fixes & band-aids are learning tools for the novices out there, which include me. Hopefully, you will not be discouraged on reporting future trips just because of a knuckle head or two.
Thanks so much. I really appreciate that.
Every road trip, in addition to being just plain fun (the first priority) is a learning experience discovering what Old Henry's greatest strengths as well as weaknesses are. Consequently, I haven't even opened the tool box on many of the recent trips. But, this trip, which had virtually the identical problems of the 7° one a year ago, confirmed that, although Old Henry doesn't mind driving in any degree of cold if he's been sleeping in a nice warm garage and is awakened there, he absolutely hates being waked up below 20° and protests like crazy. Once awake and running, he does just as well traveling in the cold, snow, ice, and wind. But, waking him up in that low of temperature I just may have to avoid in the future.

We lives and we learns. There are some things that can only be learned by living and experiencing life to its limits, i.e. many times we can not find out what we really can do until we push ourselves to the point of finding out what we can't do. Then, and only then, do we know that we have done our very best.*

*(This may very well be an athlete's creed. It sure seems to be so as I observe the triumphs and failures of the current Olympic contestants.)
Old 02-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #23
peewee2you

Old Henry rides again what adventure, photo's fantastic..... Livin thru you and Pepe I do realize though from our end a great story, from your end at times frustrating, challenging, questionable and daring. However from your writing you seem to take it in stride, so I commend you for that... Okay now I'm going to speak for ol Pepe, are you kidding me, I'm gettin old, I'm small, not much meat on these bones, what are you thinkin, we could die out here, out of gas..... gp what gave us the wrong directions you say, we might make the news as frozen statues? lol Once again thanks for the good times, smiles and laughter.. Peter
peewee2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #24
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by peewee2you View Post
Okay now I'm going to speak for ol Pepe, are you kidding me, I'm gettin old, I'm small, not much meat on these bones, what are you thinkin, we could die out here, out of gas..... gps what gave us the wrong directions you say, we might make the news as frozen statues? Peter
Love it!!

I'm hoping that I'm keeping enough drugs in Pepe that he's usually laying back and saying, "Go ahead and beat the crap out of me. I don't care. Whatever happens it's going to feel real real good."

The little short video of his anxiety on this trip was only that once and I think from him feeling some of my stress from the morning's ordeals and from stealing a big drink of my Dr. Pepper and getting a little high on the caffeine.

Last edited by Old Henry; 02-09-2014 at 06:47 PM.