Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #41
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: More fun at Jiffy Lube

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1932 View Post
The fact that they had to go looking for the standard tools is exactly why they keep stripping the head of my drainplug in my modern american pickup. Using metric on standard size plugs.
One of many perfect reasons NEVER to turn-into a Jiffy Lube or similar joint. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #42
BlueSunoco

There was a clip on TV a while back, of a Jiffy Lube somewhere out in SoCal that was ripping people off, real bad. They were charging for work they never did, etc. One worker said they had to meet $$ quotas, and had to sell extra work and the like, stuff people didn't want or need.

Maybe it was a rigged show, like the Chevy pickup truck/gas tanks catching on fire that was proven to be a scam (the TV 'investigative journalists' had wired the tanks to catch on fire,,real drama) dunno, but still wouldn't trust those kind of outfits.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:23 AM   #43
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
There was a clip on TV a while back, of a Jiffy Lube(s) somewhere out in SoCal that was ripping people off, real bad. They were charging for work they never did, etc. One worker said they had to meet $$ quotas, and had to sell extra work and the like, stuff people didn't want or need.

Maybe it was a rigged show, like the Chevy pickup truck/gas tanks catching on fire that was proven to be a scam (the TV 'investigative journalists' had wired the tanks to catch on fire,,real drama) dunno, but still wouldn't trust those kind of outfits.

Yep. Here 'tis...

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/autos/jiffylube.asp
Old 03-09-2014, 01:25 AM   #44
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Obviously, you're one of the very few that understands the REAL story there. DD
You are correct, sir.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:58 AM   #45
Motorhead6

Thanks Old Henry for another entertaining, clean, and amusing vicarious adventure. Things like this happen all the time but we seldom take the time to record it; that's part of why it is so amusing. Keep 'em coming.
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:56 PM   #46
Old Henry

Now that we've had our fun laugh let's put it all into perspective.
Perhaps many of us found my experience humorous because we actually knew something these "youngsters" didn't know. Maybe it made us feel good, if not actually "superior", for this brief moment. But, if any of those "kids" had handed me an iPhone or iPad and told me to do even the simplest task, they would have been just as entertained by my bewilderment and fumbling failure to be able to do what they could do with their eyes closed while spinning in place.

So, hopefully any "pride" we may have had for a moment will soon mellow and we'll just take this whole experience as making the point that Art Linkletter used to make so effectively: "People are Funny". Nothing more.

Last edited by Old Henry; 03-10-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #47
donQ

I see that many folks here want you to take photos next time. I suggest that you NEVER take it back there. Letting ignorant and incompetent people work on your car is an invitation to disaster. I wouldn't even take my every day beater to one of those places.
donQ
donQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:08 AM   #48
dwick01

I think it is wonderful you letting a young person learn & gain experience with your old car. Something they will never forget. When I was very young, I did not have much knowledge about cars, and still don't have much. But some of what I learned early in life, has spurned my interest in this hobby. Nothing wrong with promoting our hobby to young people.
dwick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:37 AM   #49
Sixseven

Quote:
Originally Posted by donQ View Post
I see that many folks here want you to take photos next time. I suggest that you NEVER take it back there. Letting ignorant and incompetent people work on your car is an invitation to disaster. I wouldn't even take my every day beater to one of those places.
donQ
I couldn't begin to imagine the number of hacks that worked on my '41 in the years before I had it. Yet here it is.

I wouldn't even try to work on the modern cars. Maybe to change the oil.
I would be the dumb white headed fellow.
MIKE (mikeburch)

Agree, the kids these days talk in IT jargon about computer control of their fuel injected cars. I'm also checking in on the Vintage Mustang crowd and those guys guys amaze me with the things they do with modern engines in these older vehicles.

Ken
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:40 AM   #50
whizzernick

Wink Re: More fun at Jiffy Lube

Yes it was fun.
I was talking to a friend about young people and old cars. His comment was we as old people with old cars need to get the younger people interested in our old cars. His method was as follows. If you see a young person or a small group 2 or three kids on the street. And you are in your old car. Pull up to them and offer a ride. You shouldn't try this with young girls. Young guys would be better. Maybe the young person will appreciate and like the ride in the old car. It's almost like getting invited to ride in a parade. I haven't tried it yet. No guts. But I think it's a good idea. Maybe some of you have a better idea of How do we get the younger generation to be interested in our cars. If we were a if we are able to do this. Our cars will go on forever.
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:38 AM   #51
Fordors

I don't know about that idea whizzernick. I'm afraid one might be branded "Mr. Stranger-Danger" and possibly have to explain one's self to the authorities. I kinda like an open door policy in the garage, if a local kid shows interest then maybe one might talk to their parents about mentoring him/her on the old car hobby. But, then again, an open door policy brings the possibility of unwanted interest to one's "stuff". It is for sure a different time in today's world. Maybe best to limit involvement to kids of relatives or neighbors.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:44 AM   #52
38 Ford Pickup

Can you re-paint your plates like that in UTAH ???

never fly here is Ontario Canada.

Love your videos......but Jiffy Lube........WHY
38 Ford Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:51 AM   #53
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzernick View Post
Yes it was fun.
I was talking to a friend about young people and old cars. His comment was we as old people with old cars need to get the younger people interested in our old cars. His method was as follows. If you see a young person or a small group 2 or three kids on the street. And you are in your old car. Pull up to them and offer a ride. You shouldn't try this with young girls. Young guys would be better. Maybe the young person will appreciate and like the ride in the old car. It's almost like getting invited to ride in a parade. I haven't tried it yet. No guts. But I think it's a good idea. Maybe some of you have a better idea of How do we get the younger generation to be interested in our cars. If we were a if we are able to do this. Our cars will go on forever.

In today's world offering a ride to kids for any reason is a VERY BAD IDEA. A better idea would be to offer to take the kids along with their parents in the same car to a local car show.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #54
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzernick View Post
How do we get the younger generation to be interested in our cars. If we were a if we are able to do this. Our cars will go on forever.
I spent a year working side by side with my 15 year old son restoring Old Henry. Now, in his friends' eyes, he is the absolute genius on cars that they haven't a clue about. He'll end up with Old Henry when I'm gone and I will have "passed the baton" to another generation.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:58 AM   #55
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 Ford Pickup View Post
Can you re-paint your plates like that in UTAH ???

never fly here is Ontario Canada.

Love your videos......but Jiffy Lube........WHY
Yes. The plates pictured are my re=paints.

Why Jiffy Lube?
1. Easier than doing it myself.
2. Entertaining to watch youngsters learn about old cars. (Maybe one will "catch the bug" and save a classic from the scrap heap some day.)
3. No risk since I'm watching and coaching their every move.
4. Their pure look of delight every time I pull it in and pull it out. Always a "celebrity moment" with pictures etc.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:59 AM   #56
oldblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
I wish I'd had my video camera rolling. It was so entertaining.

I love to take Old Henry in to Jiffy Lube for an oil change and watch the folks work. Today, as soon as I pulled it in and opened the hood, 4 or 5 gathered around to look at the engine compartment. I brought my own oil and filter and provided the wrench for the drain plug and a diagram of the 18 zerks that needed grease. The guy underneath seemed to know what to do without much problem but on top was quite another matter. The girl that seemed to be in charge of the place took it upon her self to change the filter. After staring at it a while I came to her rescue and explained how she had to remove the plug on the side at the bottom of the canister to drain the oil out of it into the long funnel I provided into the drain pan underneath then went back in to watch through the window. She soon called for a selection of 11, 12, 13, and 14 mm wrenches from the guy down under. I stepped out and told her, "This is not a Japanese car. It has English size nuts and bolts. You know, 1/2" 9/16", etc. Not millimeters." She looked bewildered for a moment then said, "We don't do much with those here but I think I know where we have some that size." So she goes over in the corner and opens a tool box and pulls out a selection of end wrenches and brings them over to try. Can't get a one to work. Goes back to the box and pulls out this gigantic crescent wrench to take the little plug out with. I about stepped in to offer my sockets or end wrenches from the trunk but I was having too much fun. She finally got the plug out to drain the oil out. Then, removed the lid, got the filter out, put the new one in, worked the new gasket into the lid and put it back on OK. The fun part of that was the grimace on her face the whole time worried that she wasn't doing it right. She put the oil in then got in to start it to check for leaks. Watched her sit there trying to figure out how to start it for a while before going out to coach her. Showed her the kill switch up by the rear view mirror to turn on then said put it in neutral. Of course she had no clue about the "three on the tree" gear shifter. She had both the clutch and brake pedals to the floor so I reached in and put it in neutral for her and told her she could let those pedals up, which she did slowly and cautiously, then told her to push the starter button. It started right up, she let up on the button and wondered if it was really going it was so quiet. I told her it was going and to push on the gas pedal to speed the engine up. She didn't seem to be sure which of the pedals that was. I told her and she pushed it a bit to speed up the engine and yelled for someone to check for leaks. Then shut it off.

After a bit it looked like they were all done and expected her to come in and take my money and have me drive it out per usual but, instead, she was in the driver's seat again. I went out and she said, "The other guys just want me to pull it out so they can get a picture." She was moving the gear shift up and down trying to figure out how it worked. Well, actually, she thought she had it figured out. She put it up to second, "This if forward. Right?" Then down to third, "And this is backward?"

I relieved her of the job of pulling it out and did it for the photo session. Then went in and paid and drove away while they all watched with admiration.

Good time had by all.
I commend you sir you very likely made their day . Perhaps some of them will get the old car bug as a result of the experience .
Old 03-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #57
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
In today's world offering a ride to kids for any reason is a VERY BAD IDEA. A better idea would be to offer to take the kids along with their parents in the same car to a local car show.
Or, load the grand kids in there every chance you get for a "celebrity ride" to Sonic for ice cream. That's what I do. I also have the local scout groups, mainly cub scouts, have me come and teach the boys about the car and take them for a ride. They love it.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #58
38 Ford Pickup

No kids care about old cars or trucks anymore. They just want to Lower them, SOUP them up ETC.

Just look at the USELESS HAMB........... Just Look at the crap sold at Barrett Jackson.

Lame Ass Cruise nights........... Lets go back to Pre47 car shows or at least as they say in Minn. Pre Mustang Shows.

My rant for the weekend.

Ontario

We pay over $400 for YOM Plates and they must be MInt and not re-painted.

I would not even let Jiffy-Lube touch my wife's 2013 Sentra.......... Most of them cannot tell the diff from Windshield anti-freeze to real anti-freeze......
38 Ford Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #59
TomO

I like taking my 40 Merc into a Ford dealer to have the oil changed. The whole shop stopped working and came over to look at the car and the engine. It took them 20 minutes to find a grease gun, because the new Fords haven't had zerk fittings for years.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:24 PM   #60
tiquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
I like taking my 40 Merc into a Ford dealer to have the oil changed. The whole shop stopped working and came over to look at the car and the engine. It took them 20 minutes to find a grease gun, because the new Fords haven't had zerk fittings for years.
I drove our 31 model A tudor in the ford dealer lot to pick up my daughter who was leaving her car there for a service and the sales people out side came over to look and asked what kind of car it was. I looked at the most senior member and said you sell fords and do not know what a model A ford is. haha
tiquer is offline   Reply With Quote