Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
Kentf1003

Default Venting the gas tank 1940 P.U.

I'm installing a "Tanks" gas tank on my 1940 pickup. At first I thought I would simply attach a vent line to a vent fitting/opening that is available on top of the new tank. But since it is a pickup, I find nowhere to run the vent hose that is high enough to keep from leaking out splashed gas. In a car you can run it up inside the trunk wall. Any ideas for a pickup?

If I stick with the original gas filler tube as a vent, does the cap still use a gasket? Thanks Barners.
Kentf1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
billwill

Default Re: Venting the gas tank 1940 P.U.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentf1003 View Post
I'm installing a "Tanks" gas tank on my 1940 pickup. At first I thought I would simply attach a vent line to a vent fitting/opening that is available on top of the new tank. But since it is a pickup, I find nowhere to run the vent hose that is high enough to keep from leaking out splashed gas. In a car you can run it up inside the trunk wall. Any ideas for a pickup?

If I stick with the original gas filler tube as a vent, does the cap still use a gasket? Thanks Barners.
Drill a 1/8hole in thefill side of the cap and youare vented goodluk.
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
TomT/Williamsburg

If you are running rear enders, I've run a brake-vent line up and around in the wheel well opening, using the attaching fender-to-bed bolts as attach points. I've done this in my 40 coupe and it works better than without it at fillup time.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:56 PM   #4
TJ

If you are using the plastic 40 tank the vent location should be up inside the left rear fender.The vent needs to be higher than the tank. I make a bracket to attach to a fender bolt and then mount the vent/rollover valve to the bracket. When you mentioned people venting the tank up inside the trunk wall I hope you didn't mean venting the tank inside the trunk. That's just plain unsafe.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote