Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2016, 07:13 PM   #1
36tudordeluxe

Default Cylinder honing?

Trying to correct a low compression problem on an engine with less than 400 miles on it. Have lapped the valves to the seats and would now like to hone the cylinders and replace the rings. Everything is removed from the block but the crank; it's not removed because the engine is on a test stand rather than an engine stand. Is it completely out of the question to hone with the crank in it?
36tudordeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
Ronnie

Default Re: Cylinder honing?

Buy a flex hone works well easy to use.
Pay attention to cylinder cleaning afterwards as that is where the job can go south on you real easy.

No solvent ,gasoline,diesel fuel,to be used ever.That is a recipe for disaster.

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:39 PM   #3
36tudordeluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Buy a flex hone works well easy to use.
Pay attention to cylinder cleaning afterwards as that is where the job can go south on you real easy.

No solvent ,gasoline,diesel fuel,to be used ever.That is a recipe for disaster.

R
I'll be meticulous in my clean up, but is this safe to do with the crank in the block; planning on using lightly soaked oil rags at the bottom of the cylinders during honing?
Old 05-30-2016, 08:30 PM   #4
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36tudordeluxe View Post
I'll be meticulous in my clean up, but is this safe to do with the crank in the block; planning on using lightly soaked oil rags at the bottom of the cylinders during honing?
It is safe.How are you honing?

R
Old 05-30-2016, 09:08 PM   #5
36tudordeluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
It is safe.How are you honing?

R
My concern is the debris from the honing operation. My only experience is brake cylinders and lifter bores.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:48 PM   #6
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36tudordeluxe View Post
My concern is the debris from the honing operation. My only experience is brake cylinders and lifter bores.
Use a flex hone very forgiving a 3 legged spring hone is really stone age stuff.Flex hones have been around for sometime. Many machine shops use them for glaze breaking.Go to a machine shop and talk to them for results.
Lifter bores and brake cylinder's are small bore jobs different finish than new ring requirements of today.Someone one in Vegas will help you out.

http://www.brushresearch.com/
http://www.brushresearch.com/videos.php

R
Old 05-30-2016, 10:08 PM   #7
Brian

If it were me, I'd pull the crank. Hone the Bare block. Easier to get everything clean that way.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:19 PM   #8
Jack E/NJ

>>>engine with less than 400 miles on it.>>>

What does this mean? Was it rebuilt less than 400 miles ago? If so, it should've been honed and re-ringed then. The low compression was probably due to not being properly broken in yet.

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:29 PM   #9
cas3

i am no expert, but when i hone i use a hospital type iv bottle that is dribbling diesel fuel while honing. that is very fine grit that then must be washed off the bores with carb cleaner or starting fluid spray untill a paper towel comes out clean white. messy operation that will be hard to keep out of the bearings. crank out would be best as you are not far from that already. you must think up some way to seal up the mains, maybe silicone?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:30 AM   #10
Binx

Turn the block upside down on the stand and sit on a stool then have at it. Try to get a 35 degree angle on the crosshatch. Clean clean like Ronnie said after you're done. That means water, laundry detergent and a toilet brush until you can wipe the bore with a lint-free paper towel and it comes out clean.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:05 AM   #11
40 Deluxe

Did you do a leakdown test to determine where the 'lost' compression was going? If it was due to the rings, there would have been copious amounts of blow-by out the crankcase vent. If valves, noticeable hissing out the tailpipe or intake manifold. Just what were the symptoms and compression readings?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:27 AM   #12
topfuel724

When we were honing race blocks between rounds with a flex hone we would get some PVC pipe the size of the rods journals and put them on the crank to keep the grit from getting on the journals, then clean cylinders well with brake clean and blue towels.
topfuel724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:54 AM   #13
JWL
Member Emeritus

I guess it is possible to seal off the crankcase and do the honing but I don't see any advantage to doing that if the engine is not in a car. Cleaning the block after honing is a important job.

I would use a brush or ball hone because the cyl bores are probably not round and straight after being run and likely will not get 100% coverage unless an excess of stock is removed with a more rigid hone. Stroking up and down with the hone has to be coordinated with the RPM of the drive motor. It is usually pretty quick even with a 500 RPM driver.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:45 AM   #14
Frank Miller

Like someone else said, low compression at 400 miles makes me ask more questions than honing will fix. Are the walls even glazed? I've pulled apart motors with many more miles and can still see the honing marks. I think you need to do a bit more investigating.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:48 AM   #15
Ronnie

Another question that should be asked.What work was done to the engine 400 clicks ago that has produced the symptoms described,and who performed the work?
You have also received some poor info on what to use as a lube during the honing operation.With careful planning it is possible to do in your situation just not the most desirable. JWL states some good info.Just sayin.

R
Old 05-31-2016, 11:01 AM   #16
19Fordy

For some reason, I am remembering the days when baking soda was added through the spark plug hole and the engine run to "break the glaze."
Is that a bad idea and an old wive's tale?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:14 AM   #17
flatheadmurre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
For some reason, I am remembering the days when baking soda was added through the spark plug hole and the engine run to "break the glaze."
Is that a bad idea and an old wive's tale?
Whatever you pour down the cylinder and run will give vertical honing...not a great thing for oilcontrol...
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:23 AM   #18
36tudordeluxe

The cylinders aren't glazed and I can see honing cross hatch pattern just as it came from the machine shop. But what I do see is very light "scuff" marks 90° from the wrist pins on both sides of the pistons with corresponding marks on the cylinder walls; this is on all pistons and cylinders. Could the bores from the machine shop been too large for the pistons and the pistons are wobbling or slapping the sides of the cylinders. Never did a leak down test, but squirting oil in the cylinders did bring the compression up slightly. Compression ranged from 65-90 lbs. on all cylinders. There were no symptoms, no blow by or smoking out the exhaust, just low compression readings. I did make the mistake of running the engine in the chassis while completing the rest of the restoration and didn't follow recommended startup procedures as suggested by JWL and others. I was totally ignorant at the time of break in
protocol. Going to digest all of this before proceeding any further. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:16 PM   #19
Jack E/NJ

Hope your compression gauge was accurate. 8^) If it were mine, I'd probably replace what needs replacing from the teardown, button it back up, make sure it runs like it did before, throw it back in the car and run it for a few thousand miles. Then I'd report back on the barn with the results.

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:07 PM   #20
rotorwrench

I'd want to know what the piston to cylinder clearances are. Different types of piston require different clearance specs ie forged require more & cast require less. Wrong specs will lead to problems. You will need to know this stuff even before you go to honing. If it's way loose, all the honing in the world won't make it better.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote