Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2014, 11:07 PM   #1
CA Victoria

Default 1930 Roadster Stanchion

I have a couple of questions regarding my 1930 Std Roadster.

When did the steel lower stanchion replace the brass stanchion on the 30' roadster?
PER MARCO: SEPTEMBER 1930

The 30 brass lower stanchion is not drilled for the vac. line. The steel lower stanchion is but it had a metal button with a wire keeper in it when I bought it. Is the metal button an OEM item for the early cars using a electric wiper?

How do I distinguish an original a Std Roadster upper stanchion from a 70s aftermarket?

With one of the steel stanchions the holes do not line up when sitting in the relief. Both sides are the same shape and the other side fits OK, they did not come with my car.
It will align if I sand some of the contour on the bottom? I don't see any other way to make this alignment happen......Is this the correct procedure to fit a lower stanchion?

Thank you!

Last edited by CA Victoria; 09-06-2014 at 09:13 AM.
CA Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #2
CA Victoria

Default Re: 1930 Roadster Stanchion

I found this information while searching for my answers. I will post the answers to my questions in my original post for those who read this at a later date....

From Marco T.:
The early lower stanchions were indeed cast bronze. Cast bronze was easier to manufacture but did not hold up. The later stanchions were were made of steel, not cast iron. There was a forged section and a stamped section welded together. Ford had problems with breakage of the bronze type and replaced them sometime around September 1930. Additionally there was a change in all upper stanchions at the same time (Open Cab, standard open, Deluxe open). I'm not sure exactly what the change was but suspect it was the lower cup area. In some cases the old upper stanchions would work with the new steel lower stanchions but the dealers were instructed that if an old upper stanchion had to be replaced, they would have to order a new lower as well and return the old one to the Branch for credit.
CA Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
CA Victoria

From Marco T. 5/2010
If you look at the Indianapolis Service Letters you will find a couple good entries on this in late October (around 10/22?). Additionally the steel stanchion was made up of two parts, A-37125 & A-37126. The first drawing on these was 9/1/30 as far as I can tell. By October the steel lower stanchions were in full production. I would guess there were still some lingering 180-A bodies at Briggs with the bronze lower stanchions.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #4
Roadster62

Did the screws also change at this time? Bob
Old 09-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
swo4rd

The 180A Restorers ran into the same situation. Marco's answer is correct and there is an article in the 180A newsletter on the subject. The fasteners did change from a screw to a hex headed screw about the same time. The reason you suspected that they might be cast iron is that there was a reproduction made of aluminum (I believe) which was and remains totally unsatisfactory...another "throw away repop" I will try to find the 180A article and post it on this string.
swo4rd is offline   Reply With Quote