Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
ken-r-mer

Default Mallory 6 volt coil question

I picked up a 50's-60's Mallory 6 volt coil that will compliment nicely with the old school dual point Mallory distributor I"ll be installing over the winter. Since this coil has no instructions with it, I have a simple question: On the negative terminal there is what appears to be a chrome plate covered, hockey-puck-shaped resistor with the number "30" stamped on the attachment plate. The resistor's purpose? For further identification, on top of the coil adjacent to the positive terminal screw is the wording...VOLTMASTER 6 V.
ken-r-mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:34 AM   #2
Terry,OH

Default Re: Mallory 6 volt coil question

Fords original flat head coils were not 6V they require a series resistor (mounted under the dash) to drop the voltage to the coil from 6V to about 3V. It appears your new coil is like the fords. It is made for the 6V system but requires the resistor on top to be installed. You will not need the resistor under the dash. There are some 6V coils that are marked " no external resistor" these coils, as marked, have no external resistor, if you were to use one of these the resistor under the dash also needs to be bypassed.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
ken-r-mer

Ok, I was a bit confused that the raised lettering on the top of the Mallory coil says "VOLTMASTER 6 V" and then there is this resistor attached to the "-" terminal that also says 6 V. I thought since this was an aftermarket product, that maybe it had something unique to do with the Mallory distributor. And with no instructions attached....

So If I have a resistor under my dash because I have a stock '52 F-1 flattie 8 setup, I can remove the resistor from the coil? Or is vice versa the better solution? Or...should I talk to a really old person at Mallory Ignition, lol?

Last edited by ken-r-mer; 12-17-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
rotorwrench

I doubt if anyone at Mallory would know much about any products made before 1970. As far as I know, the 52 F1 had no ballast resistor. From 48 to at least the end of the 6 volt production in 54, the cars and trucks had the coil and condenser matched to give the most reliable operation with out need for a ballast. Coils and condensers are matched to give just the right amout of current draw (amps) during operation for a certain peak output voltage. This is based on the resistance of the primary and secondary windings in the coil (inductive reactance) and the capacitive reactance of the condenser in micro farads.

If there is a reference to 6-volt, it was most likely designed for use with a 6-volt system but that is a pretty broad spectrum. 6-volt positive ground coils usually have distributor and battery abreviated ID markings on the terminals instead of + or - symbols. It will most likely work but whether it was designed to work with a Ford/Holley Loadamatic distributor set up is anybodys guess.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Richard in Florida

Put an ohmmeter across the primary terminals. If it reads 1.5 ohms give or take, you can use it in a six-volt system with no resistor. If it measures 3 ohms or more, it's meant for straight 12 volts, but that's unlikely.

A stock coil for a '53, for example, measures 1.3 ohms.
Richard in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
George/Maine

The book here says Fords and trucks 48 thur 55 has no resister.The dual point don,t care.But when you have Pos grd keep the current going in the right direction.So neg goes to points and use the resister you have.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
ken-r-mer

Oh, I plan to wire it up the same as the existing stock coil. I'm just wondering if this Mallory coil resistor is necesary since it is a Mallory product. I've never seen a resistor attached to any coil, just this Mallory unit. Maybe this is a pre 48 Mallory coil, No way to date it. Its red body color matches the distributor cap, it has a nice chrome top ring, and a nice chromed Mallory labeled holder. Extremely clean looking too. But, since its used...no instructions. I'll check the ohms with and without the resistor.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:58 AM   #8
Terry,OH

the resistor on the top of the coil is made for the coil you want to install. Consider them a matched set and install both. Since your not uing the ford coil remove the ford resistor. If you do not like the appearance of the resistor on top of the coil then you can move it, but be aware both the ford resistor and the Mallory get very hot and should be mounted in an area that can take the heat without causing a problem, like melting, smoking or a fire.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote