Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-29-2015, 03:56 PM   #1
Fredb_

Default Getting the new generation interested

I raised three daughters that never had much interest in cars, or should I say "grease". Now I have seven grandsons and I'm finding a little different level of interest. I got to get this keepsake taken last evening on a ride out to the coast. Some of these guys are sure to get the fever....)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Me and the boys.jpg (149.6 KB, 169 views)
Fredb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
adileo

Default Re: Getting the new generation interested

Gr8 family pic - nice lookin car - 7 grandsons, I'd say you need to add to you car collection
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:44 PM   #3
Fredb_

I'm working on it. Not Ford, but has COOL factor. )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hm 32.JPG (37.5 KB, 99 views)
Old 07-29-2015, 08:01 PM   #4
Binx

They're the right age to build models. Scrounge some '30-'40 models to give to them or build with them. Remember the law of primacy: What you learn first, you remember longest.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:27 PM   #5
40cpe

Maybe there is a ray of hope yet. Yesterday I took my '40 to run some errands. At a stoplight a SUV with mom driving 3 or 4 kids stopped beside me. One boy, about 10, had his window down looking at the old car with a smile from ear to ear. The car followed me until they turned off the main road and the boy was still grinning. I got a horn toot and big waves as they made their turn. My old car isn't special, but kids recognize old cars and you usually get a wave from them.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:46 PM   #6
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, I like to get 'em behind the wheel asap. I was driving field-cars by about 12 yrs old. 'Course I could work a clutch because of the mini-bike and Yamaha 90cc. Almost anyone can take one of these around the driveway or parking lot!

Several years ago I let a youngster (21ish) drive our car for about five minutes. Dad wasn't impressed. Heck, I can clip gears as well as a rookie!

Sometimes I like to let the real young kids hop in and honk the horns.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:50 PM   #7
IndyFordy

I gave out over 100 free admission passes to High School students enrolled in automotive trade classes at local high schools. This was for the Hoosier Vintage Wheels show and Swap Meet in May. I plan on doing it again for Sept. Hope to get some interested in older vehicles as well.
IndyFordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:47 AM   #8
1939trr

Just started working on my 39 ford with my grandchildren and we are learning and having fun.

Oldest is 13 and does most of work.
1939trr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:53 AM   #9
oldford2

The Hemmings cruise-ins have added a new award. Under 30. This is given to the best car driven in by a youngster.
John

http://www.hemmings.com/events/cruise-ins
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:06 AM   #10
G.M.

I gave a model A sedan delivery to one of my boys and a 35 roadster to
another, they are 55 and 65 years old. Both of them and their wives love to drive them, they get a lot of attention. The person getting an old car has to really like them, have a little mechanical ability and a place to keep them.
The children of these two are also interested in the old Fords. I have 5 more children but not all will get cars. G.M.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:51 AM   #11
Joe Immler

I run a Saturday Night Cruise In in my city. It is free. No judging,trophies, nothing. I have been surprised by the amount of youngsters that like my '41. I let them sit in it and get a picture taken. I always have them "push that big button" on the steering wheel. Those loud dual horns always bring a smile. I was very surprised last Saturday when a young man in his early 20's took a great interest in the car. He stayed for an hour and asked tons of questions. He pointed to a '37 street rod next to me and said "I like the old stock ones better." I believe there is hope.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:14 AM   #12
mike in tucson

It's a different world now compared to even 35 years ago (1980). Growing up, in our neck of the woods, we had baseball, basketball, football, hunting, and cars for our hands-on fun. Cars were our freedom, our social media was crusing and friends. Kids nowdays have many other outlets to consume their time. Cars come in many more flavors and often a high powered stereo is more important than the car it is mounted to. I think there is still interest in older cars but the percentage of kids interested may be lower.
mike in tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:59 AM   #13
tiger.1000

Interesting topic.....I recently parked my 32 Cabriolet in town and spent half an hour in the shop opposite. I sort of expected a small gathering of people to stop and take a look at the old Ford. Only a small proportion of youngsters even shed a glance. Most were glued to their I-phones , or what-have-you. The older generation were more interested; as if reliving a childhood memory?

Maybe I am wrong but I get the impression that the kids of today or not really interested in old cars but moreso the modern hot-hatches with 4" diameter exhaust pipes and wide alloy wheels; PLUS a very loud CD player that can be heard three blocks away.

Lucky us old geezers are still drawing breath and keeping 'em up and running eh?
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:36 PM   #14
1942deluxe

Maybe this is an example from my family. In the late 80's I started collecting toy tractors. I was in Colorado visiting some service buddies and stopped in at a Ford tractor dealer and bought two collector Jubilees(1953) and gave them to my nephews when I got home. The one nephew still has his. Years later his wife's Aunt called when her husband passed and told him there was an old Ford tractor in the barn and he could have it if he wanted it. It was a 1953 Ford Jubilee! He is restoring it as time and money permit. Whenever I'm out with my 48 Deluxe Coupe I'm surprised how many little kids give me the thumbs up. not sure they know what it is but they know it's something special and I always take the time to answer questions.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:40 PM   #15
Ol' Ron

Fore one thing the cost of getting into the hobby today is beyond most young people. Even if the car/truck is left to them by some older person. Finding the right people to guide you is limited. We here on the barn have our own ideas and can't really help much, but make suggestions. Nut the bottom line is the all mighty buckand it isn't gona get any better.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:51 PM   #16
Fredb_

I have a neighbor down the road that is about 35 years old. He grew up around all kinds of car guys, so it's not too surprising that he likes the stuff. He has a knack at finding old wrecks and getting them on the road for not much investment. He tends to go toward the rat-rod side of things, but maintains the old classic beat-up farm vehicle look. I always love seeing him putt by in his 35 Ford PU or 53 Chev half ton. It's not as common as when we were kids, but not dead yet.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:03 PM   #17
Barry-ct

I have always liked old cars as far back into the late 60's. All my friends liked them too! My 2 girls grew up around Dad working on old Army trucks and loved riding in them. My 2 son in laws don't know what a screwdriver is. One thinks he has mechanical ability, but he likes Honda rice rockets. Buys junks! I think my Grand daughter has more ability than he does, and she's 20 months old! As she grows, I will see if the interest is there. When it's time, I'll will it to her if she likes it, if not, My wife will sell it.

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:14 PM   #18
tiger.1000

A couple of years back I parked on the forecourt of our local Ford agent here in the UK. I asked the young salesman if it was OK to take a picture of the old B amidst their new cars. Not only did he say I didn't have permission to do so, he didn't give the car a second look.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gates Ford.jpg (181.1 KB, 18 views)
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:07 PM   #19
Vic Piano

It's never too early to start em on a Flathead appreciation path... Here's my grandson Evan sitting with me in the back of my '39 CS...
Old 07-30-2015, 05:48 PM   #20
Lawrie

Tiger 100, I went to the local ford dealer a couple of years back in the 33, parked it outside ,went in and spoke to a salesman about a new small Ford for wife Carol,when we left he came out,saw the 33 and asked what sort of car it was,I told him he should be shot,
Oh we bought the new little ford from another dealer.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote