Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
Ross6860

Default Spare Tire - Stupid Question

Um,

How do I get the spare tire off of my '36 Tudor Sedan?

It does not have a key lock. The hinged center of the tire cover opens and reveals what looks like a split cone with a spring.

I'm stuck.

I'll post a few photos.

Thanks
Ross6860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #2
36tbird

Default Re: Spare Tire - Stupid Question

Yep, definitely gotta see a pic or two. Have you taken off the outside ring? If not, I wonder if it is holding the faceplate on if there is no lock assembly.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

Is your car a standard or deluxe? I know Flatheadfan was working on his '36 spare tire assembly some months ago. Maybe he will chime in with some helpful information or you could send him a pm.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
blucar

There is no difference between the '36 tire covers on a Standard or DeLuxe until an anomaly cover came out in August of '36. The August cover has been misidentified as being a Standard cover by many people. The locking systems for the two tire covers are exactly the same, the difference is in the tire mount. Ford welded an extension over the original lock receiver in order for the more shallow dish of the August cover and related locking lugs to engage the tire mount.
The common '36 Cover has a flip open cover over the locking devise, the August cover has a stainless oval which swings out of the way.
If there is no locking cylinder in the center of the cover, the cover is being held in place by the outer ring..
Old 06-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
Ross6860

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
There is no difference between the '36 tire covers on a Standard or DeLuxe until an anomaly cover came out in August of '36. The August cover has been misidentified as being a Standard cover by many people. The locking systems for the two tire covers are exactly the same, the difference is in the tire mount. Ford welded an extension over the original lock receiver in order for the more shallow dish of the August cover and related locking lugs to engage the tire mount.
The common '36 Cover has a flip open cover over the locking devise, the August cover has a stainless oval which swings out of the way.
If there is no locking cylinder in the center of the cover, the cover is being held in place by the outer ring..
Thanks

I didn't want to bugger anything up

I assumed the center section with the hinged cover had to come off before the large cover. I had the outer ring off. The large cover must just be "stuck" to the face of the tire from being in place for several years.
Ross6860 is offline   Reply With Quote