Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
RickMcK

Default Trying to verify valve timing?

Hi, I have a 1936, 21 stud V8. I have the heads off (being surfaced) and I want to verify the valve timing as I think the marks on the cam gear are incorrect. Is there a way to verify which valves should open/close with respect to the position of any given cylinder(s), or teeth on the flywheel from #1 TDC? Or some other reference point(s) I can use?

I am asking because the motor as always run rough since it had a major rebuild.

Thanks
Rick Seattle

PS: I discovered something really great. Fuel proof clear spray paint. I cleaned up all the carburetor and fuel pump hardware (rusted steel & carb body) then I painted everything and now it will stay looking like new.
RickMcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:15 AM   #2
Mart

Default Re: Trying to verify valve timing?

With no 1 at tdc you should observe the exhaust closing and the inlet opening on either #1 or #6. If the valves aren't "rocking" (one closing as the other opens) as tdc is passed then the timing is off. TBH if you have the heads off you might as well pull the front cover and have a look to see if the marks are aligned.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
RickMcK

Thanks for the data. I forgot to say I think the "timing mark" on the cam gear is incorrect. This is why I want to verify the timing by a different method.
RickMcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
russcc

John Lawson's book, "Flathead Facts" does a very thorough job of that issue, including installing a timing pointer
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #5
Walt Dupont--Me.

Mart is correct. It's very simple, you don't have the front cover off so you can use any cyl. Just turn the engine over, right hand rotation, watch the exh valve open and close, just before the exh valve closed the intake will start to open, you can rock the engine back and forth and watch those to valve and they will rock open and close, try to make sure both valves are off the seat, the piston should be at TDC. If the piston is down the hole say 1/4in. then the valve timing is off probably one thooth. If you had the front cover off to check the timing marks you would have to use no. 6 cyl and rock those valves. 1 and 6 cyl are companion cyl and both pistons should be on TDC. No. 1 will be on compression stroke and the timing marks should be together on the gears. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote