Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #21
TonyM

Default Re: 1937 Ford transmission rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36-5window View Post
If it stuck in two gears at once it needs the SFIFTER fixed.nothing wrong with the gears. all you had to do isd take the top of the trans off and fix the forks, shift rails, plunger spring and ball. Put a couple washers behind the plunger spring to make sure it stays in gear. Just My Humble Opinion!!

It would have been great had it been just the shifter, but that is not the case here. The Synchro hub failed. The brass insert on the forward part of the sychro hub was found in the trans oil--in about a zillion teeny tiny little flakes. The trans oil resembled metal flake paint. When I examined the sychro hub, I discovered that the rear brass piece had detached from the hub itself and the forward brass piece had been totally destroyed. Plus, there was further apparent damage: Here are a couple of chunks of metal that were found in the trans oil.

Looking forward to a rebuild and re-install so I can get back to driving my 1937 Ford. Had trouble with the trans from day one. I went to driving this car nearly every day to no Ford V-8 driving. Can't wait to get back on the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7802.jpg (67.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7801.jpg (65.0 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by TonyM; 10-13-2013 at 08:31 PM.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote