Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
Bored&Stroked

Default Early 3 brush generator/cutout help - Thanks Tom Wesenberg!

The last time I worked on a 6V generator (or any volt generator) was about 40 years ago on my first 59AB flathead. I didn't screw around long, switched over to 12V negative ground and threw a 55 amp alternator on my 34 fourdoor.

Well, I've come full circle - I'm building a 32 Cabriolet just about like they would have right before WWII, trying to run all the original stuff, simple, nothing fancy, nothing really modern. Has been a blast NOT trying to make things painted, shiny and perfect . . . just getting things running, fixing old systems along the way and marveling at the simple pleasure of working like guys did 70 years ago.

Anyway, had no clue as to how to test/setup the 6V generator that was on the 59AB in the 32 - had been sitting in a garage for 55 years up on blocks. Everything is bone stock 32 or early 30's - accept the 59AB.

Tom had me check the generator with a 6V negative lead to the armature wire (no fan or belt) - turned over just fine (clockwise). Then I went ahead and put a Fun Products true voltage regulator on it (looks exactly like an original cutout) - fired it up and the generator/charging system works just fine. Put out a max of about 18 amps (old 32 amp gauge works fine too!). The battery is new, so it only charged for a bit and then backed down.

Wanted to give a BIG THANKS to Tom Wesenberg - he took time to answer my dumb questions, eMail me back and forth as I asked more dumb questions and got me going.

Awesome work Tom! If you ever get to Columbus, OH - we need to have lunch, a few libations, etc.

Great job by a dedicated Ford Barner . . .

B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #2
zzlegend

Default Re: Early 3 brush generator/cutout help - Thanks Tom Wesenberg!

Tom is probably one of the most helpful guys on the barn. We need more like him. And the tools he makes are great.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
andyg

Posts like this make us smile! Love to see people get answers and keep them running down the road in simple fashion!

Couple small things to remember if you don't already know:

1) Don't ever weld on the car with generator hooked up. I take mine completely off now after toasting 2 generators!

2) If you see a discharge with EVERYTHING turned off; unhook the battery immediately. Current is back feeding into the gen turning it into an electric motor. (you've already seen that on purpose when you were testing it). This is usually a cutout issue. If you have to drive it any distance like that, just disconnect the gen from the system and then ground it to the frame to let the charge out of the gen to keep it from getting too hot and burning up.

3) If you encounter a time when it quits charging, (for some odd reason....usually disconnecting or reconnecting the battery and it sparks, or in a brain fart moment connecting the battery neg ground for a split second before you come to your senses, etc), just a quick jumper wire spark to ground will re-polarize it and your back in business.

As you can see, don't leave home without a nice little jumper wire in the tool kit! Keep that Cabbie rollin'!
andyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:42 AM   #4
Blownflatheaddeuce

Dale post up some pics of this thing man....it sounds a lot like my roadster, esp with the pre WWII era/parts.
Blownflatheaddeuce is offline   Reply With Quote