Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
Shadetree

Default Removing The Transmission On A `51 F1

The throw out bearing and clutch chatter issue is really bugging me. I was looking at the transmission removal on the `51 F1. I have never removed the transmission on a Ford this new. Can I remove the driveshaft and move the transmission back far enough to get to the clutch, throw out bearing and pressure plate? It looks like it has a removable panel in the floor board. Can I remove the transmission from below or do I have to remove the floor pan panel and take the transmission out from above?

All help on this would be appreciated.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
Mountaindoc

Default Re: Removing The Transmission On A `51 F1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree View Post
The throw out bearing and clutch chatter issue is really bugging me. I was looking at the transmission removal on the `51 F1. I have never removed the transmission on a Ford this new. Can I remove the driveshaft and move the transmission back far enough to get to the clutch, throw out bearing and pressure plate? It looks like it has a removable panel in the floor board. Can I remove the transmission from below or do I have to remove the floor pan panel and take the transmission out from above?

You have to take it out through the cab. Drop the drive shaft, remove the tranny cover, take out the seat (trust me, just four bolts), and bring it up through the floorboard. It's not very heavy. Just wrap a tow strap or something like that around it and bring it up. Don't forget to unhook the clutch equalizer, shift linkage if applicable, and the speedo cable.

Last edited by Mountaindoc; 10-07-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Mountaindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Shadetree

Thanks Doc, you confirmed my fears. I was hoping to pull it back far enough to have a look see. Sure beats pulling the differential or the engine however.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
old Tom

Quote:

I think you will find it is just as easy and quick to remove the motor.
old Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
Shadetree

Thanks Tom, I just got the engine in and running. I don't want to take it out. I'll try Mountaindoc's method first. I am anxious to see what my problem is. Everything is new as far as the clutch-pressure plate-throw out bearing goes. But the new parts we buy aren't up to snuff sometimes...
Old 10-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
Brendan

my Dad had a 51 pickup with a 302 qand original trans, we used to brake the trans a lot i got good at taking it out. i used to take it out through the cab. the last time i broke it real good, snapped the input shaft in half and broke the bell housing, and the trand was sitting sideways, i saw parts in the rear view mirrer. after that i put in a C4 trans

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
Mountaindoc

I took my tranny out about a month ago in a hurry late at night. Took about an hour and a half completely by myself. It's not bad at all.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
Shadetree

Thanks Brendan and Doc. I wasn't kidding when I wrote that I have never removed Ford transmission this new. In my youth I got good at changing out the transmission on my `40 Fords. I had two at different times. A `40 Deluxe and a `40 Standard. The transmissions were $20 at a local junkyard and I had credit. The cluster gears seemed to be the weakest link. This truck is a different horse, but I really like it.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #9
mtflat

If it's the light duty 3 spd it should be the same trans (for all practical purposes) that your '40 had. Same dimensions and same weight.

I don't know why you'd have to pull it thru the floor tho - there should be enough room around the support to move it back enuf to change your parts. If not, follow Doc's suggestions.

When you go to put it back, a selection of 7/16" bolts from 2" to 4" in length for the trans to clutch housing will help to line things up.
mtflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #10
Seth Swoboda

I have changed out a clutch and pressure plate on a 51 F-1 by putting the truck up on a 2 post lift. I removed the drive shaft, unbolted the transmission and moved it back just far enought to remove the pressure plate and clutch. I did not have to remove the transmission when I had it up in the air on the lift. Once the transmission was pulled back I slipped in the new clutch and pressure plate and bolted everything back together. Good as new. It does help to have someone help you (extra set of hands).
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
bugsiegel

Not sure about the later years but in the 49 the engine would have to be temporary supported because some of the engine weight transfers back to the trans mount. Separate the trans from the engine and the engine will need support.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
Mountaindoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
I have changed out a clutch and pressure plate on a 51 F-1 by putting the truck up on a 2 post lift. I removed the drive shaft, unbolted the transmission and moved it back just far enought to remove the pressure plate and clutch. I did not have to remove the transmission when I had it up in the air on the lift. Once the transmission was pulled back I slipped in the new clutch and pressure plate and bolted everything back together. Good as new. It does help to have someone help you (extra set of hands).
Good piece of information to know in case the situation arises in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsiegel View Post
Not sure about the later years but in the 49 the engine would have to be temporary supported because some of the engine weight transfers back to the trans mount. Separate the trans from the engine and the engine will need support.
Most definitely. I used a 2x6 on top of a well-placed jack stand.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #13
Shadetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsiegel View Post

Thanks Seth. I am glad I went back and checked this thread. I will try this method.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #14
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Thanks Seth. I am glad I went back and checked this thread. I will try this method.
It works well & I think it took a couple of hours with a helper. We did it earlier this spring. The transmission, once unhooked, will slide back and you will have enough room to work. It's a simple job once you get it up on a lift. So much easier than working on your back on the floor. If you need any thing else let us know.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote