Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
wbs

Default rustoleum gloss black spray cans

hello- having problems-the can directions say use 10 to 16'' from target but even at 10'' i cant get a gloss and if i go closer , i get the glossy finish but also runs. if i move further than 10'' i get a rough finish.

this is to repair dents - i don't want to take it to a body shop.

1. is there any spray product better than rustoleum? is it compatible with rustoleum under coat?

2. when does the rustolreum enamel get hard enough to sand the runs out? after sanding the uncured paint, when can i repaint the sanded runs?

3. is there any way to just paint the 2'' area of the run rather thsn the whole panel? i ve tried that in the past and the center is glossy but there is a ring of rough over spray.

4.if i'm told that number 3 above can't be done and i have to repaint whole panel , do i have to reprime it? has anyone tried repainting without roughing up the gloss with sandpaper?

thankyou
wbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:32 PM   #2
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: rustoleum gloss black spray cans

I've never tried to use exact measurements of how far that I held a spray can or even a paint gun from what I painted. You need to shake the can well and find something to practice on to se what works best for you. Most distance instructions are just general guidelines and don't have to be followed to an exact measurement.

1 I like Krylon, It dries quicker and you are less likely to get runs as bad as you will with Rustoleum .There shouldn't be a problem spraying over Rustoleum under coats. No spray can paint is going to look as good or hold up as well as a professional body shop job . Spray can finishes are the cheap way and it is best to first test on a practice panel to be sure what lifts and what doesn't in regard to different brands of undercoats.

2 I would wait untill the next day to try sanding out runs in Rustoleum . For best results I would water sand . I wouldn't try repainting over uncured Rustoleum. If you want to do a quick job that will look more professional, I would use spray can lacquer in whatever brand that I could find . It dries quick and runs can be sanded out as soon as it dries. Fine rubbing compound can be used with lacquer to help smooth out dry or rough spots.

3 When enamel is used you will need to paint the whole panel .

4 Priming will mostly be needed on bare metal. A small cut through can usually got by without primer. You don't wast a heavy build up or you can get wrinkles and cracks later. Its best to sand lightly before recoating with fine grit sandpaper.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
Tinker

Paint is a series of sanding. Rough sand, filler sanding, color sanding. Each require a certain grid. Try wet sanding with 1000 grit up to 2000. Maybe,
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:46 PM   #4
Big hammer

Rustoleum automotive paint can be wet sanded.I would try paint niber or
razor to remove a run then color wet sand that area.I would wait maybe
like 6 weeks for paint to cure it seams to cure slow.
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:52 PM   #5
Tinker

I'll add thar rust oleum will chalk up over years. Uv issue
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:07 PM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Which rustoleum gloss are you using. There seems to be about 5 different formulas.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:11 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

For just over 90.00 Jegs has a complete kit.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Duplicolor/318...oductId=878535
Old 12-01-2014, 11:14 PM   #8
B.SUTTON

I've had extremely good luck with John Deere spray paint. It's a Valspar product and seems to cure well. In fact, I painted my entire Tudor with less than a case of gloss black when my wife asked if I could make the car "shiny" for our wedding photos. While it isn't a show car by any means, it is a presentable enough driver that looks good in pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.0 KB, 138 views)
B.SUTTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:22 PM   #9
John Duden

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.SUTTON View Post
I've had extremely good luck with John Deere spray paint. It's a Valspar product and seems to cure well. In fact, I painted my entire Tudor with less than a case of gloss black when my wife asked if I could make the car "shiny" for our wedding photos. While it isn't a show car by any means, it is a presentable enough driver that looks good in pictures.
I am painting my early 28 AA truck with john deere gloss black paint! We are at about 6 quarts and still have to paint the doors and fendrs. We layered it on so we can sand out the orange peel and buff it out for pin striping.
Joh
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:00 AM   #10
SeaSlugs

I use rustoleum industrial strength stuff (usually tall silver can). its best to paint the entire part at once and use multiple light coats and let it get tacky between coats. I used it on modern vehicle rims and its going on 4 years and still glossy. It sits outside all year round. Granted its lost some of its shine but usually a quick wipe with a detail wax brings a shine to em. Id imagine if they were out of the sun most of the time they would stay glossy for a very long time.

now it is hard if not impossible to paint glossy surfaces in just one spot and avoiding that "halo" effect...flat paints dont do this
Old 12-02-2014, 05:32 AM   #11
poweredbylincoln

You can spray oil based rustoleum out of a quart or gallon cut with acetone 15 up to 50% acetone. To thin it out
With a hvlp sprayer, bottom feed or gravity feed. If you prep the panels you will be amazed how it comes out. Will tack up in 20 minutes and be able to handle it in an hour or two

Last edited by poweredbylincoln; 12-02-2014 at 05:33 AM. Reason: edit
poweredbylincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #12
springerpete

Try your local auto paint store and look for Nason or SEM rattle cans. Both are good but SEM is the better of the two.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #13
wbs

thanks to all- all of responses taught me a lot-i'm going to follow the suggestions-------when using razor blade to remove runs, do you slice off the high spot in one step or hold the blade perpendicular to the run and scrape back and forth slowly removing the run?

Last edited by wbs; 12-02-2014 at 08:45 AM.
wbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:39 AM   #14
ModelAMike1930

You can also sand the runs smooth and spray it with clear coat to get the shine back..
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #15
John Duden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelAMike1930 View Post
You can also sand the runs smooth and spray it with clear coat to get the shine back..
Just wet sand with 600 grit and then when the run is gone, wet sant with 2000 grit and then take rubbing compound to it and buff it out
John
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #16
JTW

If you use a single edge razor blade, you can wrap masking tape around each out side edge and leave the middle open to do the "shaving down" of the run. The more wraps of the tape, the less deep the cut. Multiple thin coats of the spray can paint is necessary and make sure the part being painted is not cold or the paint will hit and run. It takes more coats of spray can paint than spray gun paint to get a good gloss.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #17
Barber31

I don't think it was mentioned in any of the above posts but the temperature of the can and temp of where you are painting has a lot to do with how the paint flows and atomizes.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:44 PM   #18
rocket1

Buy a harbor freight spray gun for $9.95,a quart of rustoleum,and I think acetone is the thinner they reccomend,try it on scrap metal until you get the right mixture and it should come out glossy
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #19
hangarb7

Just as an aside to this topic, but of some interest. I had to paint the motor on my airplane, which is actually a VW Beetle motor. It has magnesium, aluminum and steel parts. It was suggested by the engine builder to use regular enamel paint (such as any cheap pint can or rustoleum) and get this..... thin 50 % with GASOLINE and brush on.

I was very dubious but I decided to try it, in a well ventilated area of course! It works terrific AND it is super, super shiny after about the third quick coat. It smoothed out perfectly and after the gasoline flashed off, it was dry in no time at all. The beauty of using the gasoline mix on an engine already built, is that it bites into any oils left on the surface. Any runs can be brushed out easily. The paint hasn't peeled, seems to hold up well to the heat, and is still extremely shiny. Just wanted to pass this along.

I plan to touchup paint my Model A engine this winter in this manner.
hangarb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #20
machine girl

overcoat with rust-oleum specialty clear lacquer
machine girl is offline   Reply With Quote