Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
volleybill

Default 1930 Model A PIckup rear end questio...

In the process of restoring my father's 1930 Model A Pickup that was sold out of the family when i was 10 (1976) and recently reacquired this year

I have the cab and bed off the frame and something interesting is installed on this vehicle. So in the cab area mounted on the inside of the firewall is what looks like a chamber with 3 rubber hoses leading out of it along with a pull lever know that was attached to the steering column. Now 2 of the hoses ran from the coupling chamber back to a device on the rear axle right hand side. The other hose runs through the firewall and attaches to a copper tube into the intake manifold. Now my buddy says it appears to be some sort of vacuum setup but we are not sure what it is controlling in the rear end. Could this be some sort of limited differential slip setup or lockout? Unfortunately i started taking the pickup apart before checking out the function of that setup.

Bill
volleybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
CarlG

Default Re: 1930 Model A PIckup rear end questio...

Some pictures might help
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
volleybill

Working on the picture part - Just thought someone may know off the top of their head for now I will attempt to get a shot this evening
Old 12-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
Russ/40

It could be a Columbia two speed axel from a later model Ford. They are vacuum engaged. Is there a canister mounted on the passenger side of the differential?
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
volleybill

Here is a link to the photo in PhotoBucket:

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/...A/IMG_0654.jpg
Old 12-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
volleybill

After more research, it seems my 1930 Pickup may have the following rear end:

http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/...feature21.html

Which i believe would be a 1934 or later axle?

Is this a good think if it is in working condition? If not can it be removed and a cover put in it's place?

Last edited by volleybill; 12-03-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
1931 flamingo

Looks like you've got a columbia rear end,(very advantagous). Ck in over on the EV8 board for more info/questions you might have. Could also do a search over there for more info.
Happy motoring.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
pat in Santa Cruz

its a columbia 2 speed. Another way to get an overdrive. Very desireable among V8 enthusiasts. To put one on a model A must have required some adaptations. Do you have hydraulic brakes?

Parts are available from John Connelly
box 891311 Temecula Ca 92589
phone: 951-719-4077
email: [email protected]

www.columbiatwospeedparts.com
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
volleybill

Yes - My Model A pickup DOES have hydraulic brakes - Just had the drums powder coated semi-gloss black
Old 12-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #10
volleybill

So basically i should take it apart and determine if it is in working order with nothing broke? Or is there a method i can verify by rotating the rear wheel by hand and engaging it? (up on blocks with bed and cab off)
Old 12-07-2012, 12:59 AM   #11
pat in Santa Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleybill View Post
So basically i should take it apart and determine if it is in working order with nothing broke? Or is there a method i can verify by rotating the rear wheel by hand and engaging it? (up on blocks with bed and cab off)
I would advise not to take it apart if it works. To test it: remove the vacuum chamber. Looking inside the axle, you will see a slot into which the lever from the vacuum chamber fits. Jack up one wheel, place the trans in neutral and have a friend rotate the wheel while you slide the slotted part with a screw driver or drift . When it engages ( or disengages depending on where you start) your friend will feel a change in the drag on the wheel and you will hear it clunk into or out of gear. On an open drive line you would notice a change in the speed ratio between the wheel and drive shaft. Odds are its good inside the axle. The vacuum chamber diaphragm gets old and brittle, and failures there can happen. Its a simple rebuild, BTW. To test the vacuum chamber, see if the shaft pulls out and pushes in with some resistance, and you can hear air rusing in or out of the fittings. If that passes, put your thumb over the hose fitting on the end of the chamber, and pull the shaft out...you should feel suction. If you do, connect the chamber to a vacuum source and see if the shaft retracts on one side and expands when vacuum is applied to the other fitting.. If it works smoothly and without any vacuum leak noise once at the end of its stroke, you are good to go. Inspect the hoses for cracks. They can be cracked and should be replaced when they are.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #12
PO51

Bill,
Don't forget about Moss auto parts in Orange Ca, if you need parts quick, great guys there and bins of old parts to look through are a lot of fun!
PO51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #13
Vanspeed

That is a pricey rear end! If you wanted to restore the truck to original, and install a correct A rear end, you could sell that rear end for around 1000.00, if it is in working order. Nice find.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #14
columbiA

I have Columbia OD,s that I have modified in both my A,s.One has been in use since 1960.I wouldnt drive an A in modern traffic conditions without an OD.That OD of yours is worth more than $ 1,000 if its in good shape.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

If someone changed your stock MECHANICAL brakes to hydraulic and the car sat for 1/2 year or more, the only way I'd feel safe about the brakes is to remove the drums and check the wheel cylinders for leaks. They often rust and leak from setting unused. Also check the hoses for cracks.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #16
volleybill

Actually drove the car around the block and tested out brakes and what not - but had NO idea about the Columbia OD so i did not check that out when it was running before i tore it apart to restore even better I am replacing the wheel cylinders and master cylinder with the kit from Macs in New York
Old 12-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #17
1931 flamingo

That columbia (if working correctly AND with all the controls) probably worth around $3,000. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #18
larrys40

Bill,

Definately a columbia.... As Pat from Santa Cruz says John Connelly is the guy who supplies parts and can advise you on it, however, I will let you know he won't like the fact that it's in a Model A... He's a firm believer they should only be in the V8's..... Since you already have it... I'd leave it... just make sure the adaptation arrangements... ie, axle housings, spring hanger arrangements are top notch. I can't see them from the photo. Columbia's have some inherent weaknesses in several of the internal parts. Modifying them or "Bulletproofing" them so to speak is what John does along with selling rebuild parts, etc. He is excellent... Properly rebuilding a columbia depending on what it needs, and is a job that is best handled by someone schooled in them. Rebuilding depending on what's wrong can be expensive. Call John for advise.
Parts are available from John Connelly
box 891311 Temecula Ca 92589
phone: 951-719-4077
email: [email protected]

www.columbiatwospeedparts.com

I agree.. .the axle is worth more than 1K if good. Good luck!
Larry S
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote