Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Swap Meet > Wanted > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-17-2011, 05:46 AM   #1
coupe5w36

Default 1936 Door Latch

City: Melbourne
State: Australia

I need a 1936 Coupe right side door latch in working order. Please email me at [email protected] or [email protected] Does anyone reproduce these?? I've looked at the Macs & Drake catalogs but couldn't find anything. Thanks, Peter.
coupe5w36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:05 AM   #2
Tom Morookian

Default Re: 1936 Door Latch

I have a passenger side door latch ( the one with the lock mechanism) if that's the one you need???

Unfortunately it's in Florida and I'm not. I will not be back there till early October. If you don't find one by then, email me and I'll send a picture of what I have.
Tom Morookian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:34 AM   #3
coupe5w36

Thanks Tom, I'd be really interested as over here the right side is the drivers side & didn't come with a lock!!! I've often thought about fitting a lock to the drivers door as it would be so much more convenient. Please keep in touch when you return to Florida. Many thanks, Peter.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:45 AM   #4
Tom Morookian

Interesting that there is no lock on the right side door. I'm surprised that Henry would not "standardise" everything. Maybe it was only the "Deluxe" models that had locks. Is there a lock on your left side door?

I wanted to put a lock in the left side but there is no such thing here. I was going to try to use the extra right side latch to modify the left latch for a lock. I gave that idea up and used handles for a 34 that have built in locks right in the handle. I had to machine out the mounting holes in the handles as the 34 screw holes are about 1/4" closer together.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
kiwi

Let me lokk as I have a bunch of nos ones and I believe I may even have some RHD ons as the screw spacing is different,or you can reply to me @[email protected]
kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:28 AM   #6
coupe5w36

Yes Tom, our rhd cars have a key lock just below the handle on the left side door - maybe we could start a business "swapping" doors between the US & here A friend with a '41 4-door cut a suitable hole in his right side door & put a lock with a matching key on each side -- works a treat!

Kiwi, I'll try & post some photos of my latch to help with id.

Thanks guys for your replies.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:36 AM   #7
Tom Morookian

I'd be happy to swap a right side latch for a left side one. If there's any supply of these "down under" I'd bet there's several guys "up over" who would be interested. I don't see it as a problem to drill a hole for the lock mechanism of the "opposite" side. I wonder if the "opposite" will bolt up the same way???

If this works out we should move the info to the discussion posting.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:30 AM   #8
coupe5w36

As I see it, the only hassle is the threaded tube for the set screw that secures the lock barrel, & that shouldn't really be much of an issue. I've taken some photos but they're huge & I need to figure out how to post them.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:06 AM   #9
coupe5w36

Regarding my door latch, I removed the left side & was able to see what had broken off the right side, so made a suitable tag & welded it on. The result is a working latch so I'm back on the road. I would still like to fit a right side latch with a key lock, so will try to buy one from the US. Likewise I'll try to find a left side with a lock over here so maybe I can swap with someone. Regarding photos, the ones I took are way to big to upload, so I'll have to find a way to reduce them. I'm not overly smart when it comes to that sort of stuff, but will do what I can & post them eventually. Many thanks to all who have offered suggestions & responded to my initial question. Peter.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #10
kiwi

Ah you aussies ,you can fix anything, isnt whiteys shop in Bayswater,ans ray aldricks shop also, ?
kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:55 AM   #11
coupe5w36

Yeah, Ray's in Bayswater North & YT's in Ferntree Gully. Great area to live in if you like early Fords. I've sent attached pics of latches to those I have email addresses for, hope they are not too large to open. Thanks again guys.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #12
deuce lover

You need the left rear door latch from a 4dr.On EBAY there is a NOS 37.EBAY # 120767156831.The only difference is how the remote is attached to the latch.35-36's are riveted.37-40 have a slot where the arm or plate slips on.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote