Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #21
Don

Default Re: Paint color for 36-5 w

Just went to the Dupont store today ,gave him the formulas posted above,he called them up,no problem . $150 a gallon plus the hardener and thinner,Nason was the brand in single stage urethane.Has good reviews,,For $10 a sample he would make me up something to see if I liked the color.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #22
Don

Went to Dupont store today gave him the formulas from the above cross refence chaart,he typed the in,and they came up good,$150 a gal + hardener + thinner.for single stage urethane,Nason was the brand,has good reviews.For$10 he will make you a sample.Might go with the Corduba Tan.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #23
Torchie

I have used Nason before. Never had a problem with it. It can also be color sanded and rubbed out much like lacquer used to.
Some (but not all) of the newer paint formula's can be converted to SS(single Stage).
I am lucking in that my go to guy for parts as well as paint loves the fact the I work on the older stuff and he goes above and beyond the call of duty in helping me find things.
He also found the paint codes for some vintage 57 Johnson Golden Javalin outboards that I am restoring as well.

Last edited by Torchie; 02-12-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Torchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #24
Torchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony, NY View Post
Would you post that formula here. A lot of interest in that color. Not urethane
but enamel? Thanks.
I will talk to my guy and see if they can still do a straight enamel like Dulux or Centari. I don't know that it is still available.
Torchie.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #25
Torchie

Just got off the phone with my paint guy. He said that Dulux(old fashioned enamel) is only available in what is called "Fleet" colors. In other words only certain colors
Centari which is acryllic enamel is still available but not in all states depending on the laws. Both of these enamels can be shot with or without out hardeners. The Dupont Nason line which is urethane enamel was developed to use instead of the older Centari line. This does use a hardener.
As with any toxic material proper precautions should be taken to keep yourself safe.
My guy is going to see if he can get the formula for Centari.And if he can I will post them.
Torchie.

Last edited by Torchie; 02-15-2013 at 02:12 PM.