Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2022, 03:51 PM   #1
joel

Default Are file fit rings available for 59A +.080

The bore is fresh and about .003-.004 oversize. This is an old build that was assembled and never fired. I am trying to reassemble it with the parts it came with. The end gap on the new rings is .020 and it should be .014. I haven't been able to find oversize rings to file to the correct gap. Thanks. Joel
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 05:49 PM   #2
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: Are file fit rings available for 59A +.080

Joel file to fit rings might be available from Total seal if anything is available from them depends on the ring width. Another very good source for rings is Egge machine in California they offer cast custom sized pistons including the rings for the custom sizes. Anything like this would be a custom order so no one will have anything in stock.

The ring gap size needed based off the plus .080 oversize is actually .01470 this rounded the gap you need is actually .015
That fresh bore but never run is obviously the wrong size your measurements show that if the bore was actually correct the ring gap would have been perfect.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 09:03 PM   #3
flatjack9

Not ideal , but I think your end gap will be acceptable.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 10:16 PM   #4
joel

I know that the bore is oversize by .003 and that is why the gap is off. I'll try Egge first. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2022, 10:30 PM   #5
joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
Not ideal , but I think your end gap will be acceptable.

I may have to use what I have, but I thought the engine deserves a shot to get it right. I think you're correct about the extra gap; how many miles would it take to wear the bores that much anyways.
Old 12-30-2022, 10:38 PM   #6
Ronnieroadster

A few thousands wider ring end gap seems like its not a big deal. However the wider that gap is the greater the blow by is going to be. The possibility of having a freshly built engine with the same amount of blow by as a worn engine is something to think about.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 12:37 AM   #7
bbrocksr

Sounds like that block was bored for .0825 pistons, They were a replacement for the "tin can sleeves" back in the day.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 11:48 AM   #8
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrocksr View Post
Sounds like that block was bored for .0825 pistons, They were a replacement for the "tin can sleeves" back in the day.
Bill
Or, it may just have been one that originally had those sleeves . . . and they installed .080 pistons in it.

Another thing to note is that your pistons are probably undersize for your current bore. This will give you more "piston rock/slap" and will reduce ring life.

But, if you're just trying to get it running as best as possible, finding some new rings isn't a bad idea (if possible) - as it will reduce the potential blow-by.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 02:14 PM   #9
joel

That's what is keeping me from "slapping it together". I'll make a reasonable effort at finding either .080 oversize or the replacement rings for the tin sleeve kit. I should have had the bore opened up to the next oversize or 3 5/16. Thanks @Bored&Stroked
Old 01-01-2023, 03:12 PM   #10
Mart

What is the actual gap between the pistons and the cylinder wall?
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 06:33 PM   #11
joel

bore is 3.271 inches and the piston is 3.268 inches diameter.
Old 01-04-2023, 06:55 PM   #12
Mart

3 thou piston to bore clearance sounds good to me, but I only have limited experience. I'd be tempted to just put it all together and get 'er going. From the numbers you are quoting the ring gaps are about .006" more than recommended. That shouldn't be a show stopper. Try and hold your fingers 6 thou apart to visualise how much bigger the gaps are than recommended. It's hard to do.
If the gaps were sixty thou, you might have cause to be worried.
Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 01:40 PM   #13
Bored&Stroked

It appears to me that this was originally 3 3/16 engine - so all the posts related to tin-can sleeves and .0825 pistons don't apply.

I'm not aware of tin-can sleeves in the larger 3 3/16 engines??? Anybody know differently?

Also, a .080 bore would be 3.2675 . . . so it appears the bore is about .0035 over that.

My guess is that you'd probably get away with .080 rings with a little bigger end-gap and you'll probably have a tough time finding .085 rings to file-fit exactly as you want.

Question: Did you use a barrel mic to measure the piston or a dial caliper? Also, many pistons are "cam ground" and do not have the same/equal dimensions in all areas.
Old 01-05-2023, 07:52 PM   #14
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
It appears to me that this was originally 3 3/16 engine - so all the posts related to tin-can sleeves and .0825 pistons don't apply.

I'm not aware of tin-can sleeves in the larger 3 3/16 engines??? Anybody know differently?

Also, a .080 bore would be 3.2675 . . . so it appears the bore is about .0035 over that.

My guess is that you'd probably get away with .080 rings with a little bigger end-gap and you'll probably have a tough time finding .085 rings to file-fit exactly as you want.

Question: Did you use a barrel mic to measure the piston or a dial caliper? Also, many pistons are "cam ground" and do not have the same/equal dimensions in all areas.
A tid bit of info Dale. Yes there are 59AB Blocks with tin can sleeves. I have one in my possession and the sleeves to suit. A customer brought it to me to build a hot rod stroker but unfortunately it didn’t sonic good enough to bore any so he brought me another block. I now own block already had a set of 3 3/16th tin can sleeves I also have a set of std. bore Merc pistons so will build with Merc crank complete running engine to sell.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 12:12 AM   #15
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post

Bored & stroked, The posts about tin can sleeves do apply!
My first engine about 70 years ago was a 41 merc with tin can sleeves, I pulled the sleeves and ordered .0825 pistons and then found a crack in the block. I got a 59L and bored it .0825 and used the pistons in it, Nice engine.

Yes the tin can sleeves were used in both 3 & 1/16 and 3 & 3/16 engines.

Bill
Old 01-06-2023, 12:27 AM   #16
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel View Post
bore is 3.271 inches and the piston is 3.268 inches diameter.
Is there an oversize stamped on the top of the piston? An .080 piston would measure about3.265.
Sounds to me like you,ve got an .0825 oversize bore and pistons.
Old 01-06-2023, 12:47 PM   #17
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrocksr View Post
Bored & stroked, The posts about tin can sleeves do apply!
My first engine about 70 years ago was a 41 merc with tin can sleeves, I pulled the sleeves and ordered .0825 pistons and then found a crack in the block. I got a 59L and bored it .0825 and used the pistons in it, Nice engine.

Yes the tin can sleeves were used in both 3 & 1/16 and 3 & 3/16 engines.

Bill
I guess I'm derailing here, but why did Ford sleeve engines from the get go? To ensure blocks were good?
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 02:15 PM   #18
marko39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I guess I'm derailing here, but why did Ford sleeve engines from the get go? To ensure blocks were good?
I think they did this to make rebuilding easier. In theory a block could last countless rebuilds if it didn’t need boring.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 09:53 PM   #19
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko39 View Post
I think they did this to make rebuilding easier. In theory a block could last countless rebuilds if it didn’t need boring.
That's right.
Old 01-07-2023, 10:49 AM   #20
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko39 View Post
The tin-can sleeves were an attempt to make it easy to service the block (knock out the sleeves and install new ones) - without having to rebore the block and put in oversize pistons.

My guess is that Ford stopped doing this to probably save time and $$$ on new engines (which drove a lot of manufacturing changes).