Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-03-2022, 10:19 PM   #1
DeBordEngineMan

Default I feel like a newbie again??

Hello my name is Robert I have a 29 tudor sedan that was my first "amateur" build some years ago with alot of help from everyone here in the past. Now the problem my car has been sitting in the garage for roughly 5 years not been started at all reason being I suffered a brain tumor and had a stroke and a couple heart attacks that has had a serious impact on my thought process. Now retired and making some good progress from my lord and savior I am ready to start working on the 29 as I can. So I guess I'm saying is be kind to a new "old" newbie!!! As I'm sure I will need some stupid questions answered about the car. I've got my red model a bible to help plus YouTube but I know there are things I will need to ask. Thought I would include a before and after pictures when I got the car in 2009 by the way wife was not happy when the before picture showed up in the yard! But she now wouldn't trade it for anything.!! So I've got to get it back on road! Thanks for listening to a "old" newbie! Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_Screenshot_2019-10-19-13-47-12.jpg (19.9 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1486661434251.jpg (32.7 KB, 180 views)
DeBordEngineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 11:21 PM   #2
Brentwood Bob

Default Re: I feel like a newbie again??

Bring on the questions. Nice looking 2dor.
Welcome back.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:27 AM   #3
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
Bring on the questions. Nice looking 2dor.
Welcome back.
Ditto and I'm glad to hear you are getting on top of your health issues.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:12 AM   #4
Big hammer

Welcome back to the forum! Glad you found your way back! There are no stupid question’s! just maybe some stupid answers LOL Ask away
Old 10-04-2022, 10:51 AM   #5
Rex_A_Lott

Glad to hear the Good Lord gave you a new lease on life. Hope you have fun with the car and dont get too frustrated with it. Good Luck
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 01:25 PM   #6
DeBordEngineMan

Thanks everyone for the great welcoming back to the forum its a great place to find a wealth of information and help from fellow model a owners. As life seems to always throw a cure ball your way the model a will have to wait just a little while longer. Tested positive for the second time with covid today. Me and my wife are so tied of this stuff. She had it a year ago 68 days in the hospital 8 days on a ventilator but we're still here and still loving life!!!! I made her a promise that we would again cruise the back roads in the model A and I have never broke a promise to her yet! Thanks everyone for the help past and future. Robert and Rita
Old 10-04-2022, 03:29 PM   #7
Ayers1

Welcome back! Hope you're back on your feet soon! Your 2door looked slightly better than mine when I brought it home. My wife was very skeptical about it but really enjoys it now! Please ask away!
Ayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:52 PM   #8
History

Robert congratulations on being able to get at it again, if I were closer I’d help with my “back”!
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:10 PM   #9
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida

I used to ride to high school in Knoxville in 1962 in a 1929 Tudor......hope it's the same car you've got now!
fried okra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:09 PM   #10
Clem Clement

Welcome back. Your Model A will be glad you are a-workin on her again. Check your fluids, change oils. clean battery) NEW I hope) connections and those to the frame/starter switch. Follow the lube chart. consider dropping the pan for cleanout and bearing adj. What is your car's name?

Tell us about your fun
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 08:36 PM   #11
DeBordEngineMan

Hey everyone need some help please. Started working on the 29 tudor. First thing I put new plugs new points and condenser ( I have modern points setup) drained old gas put in new with some seafoam cleaned zenith carburetor I had ran all the gas out of carburetor when I park it some 5 years ago so it was dry installed new gaskets in carburetor new 6v battery new starter switch old on was not engaging starter polished cam lobe and set timing. So it started right up but ran like crap so just let it run for a little while to see if it was just from sitting for so long also added some marvel mystery oil to oil to hopefully lube everything up. Then it died? Will not hit at all motor will turn over but no spark to my points. So put on a new 6v coil didn't help actually bought 2 thought I may have got a bad one from parts house. Still no spark installed a new key switch still no spark? Checked distributor plates to see if a wire was broken or touching distributor and shorting out all good? Looked in terminal box on firewall all wires look good not burnt looks good? Checked starter safety fuze it looks good? I am so frustrated with myself after having a stroke I have forgotten a lot of things. It makes my so aggravated I am go so mad at myself knowing it's something some just about to throw my hands up and quit the hobby. Sorry just venting I guess does anyone know anything I'm missing? Any suggestions I'm missing? Thanks for any help Robert
Old 10-12-2022, 08:57 PM   #12
Ayers1

Did you try a new condenser or double check that the points hadn't changed? Just a couple of ideas.
Vent all you want! That's part of the process! ��
Ayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:31 PM   #13
DeBordEngineMan

Yes new condenser and double checked points on each cam lobe. Points set at .020 also checked on each distributor lobe all consistent. Also took distributor cap off layed a wrench on contact of distributor cover with a wire with alligator clip hooked to wrench with wire running down next to head bolt with points closed with key on to energize the coil then taking screwdriver and opening points to get a spark. Nothing? That's when I tried 2 new 6 volt coils thinking I may have gotten a bad one from parts store. So looks like to me that a wire has been compromised somewhere from ignition key to coil or from key to distributor in the ridgid ignition cable to distributor? I screwed the ignition steel cable out some thinking it could be grounding the distributor??? Has to be there somewhere I've got fuel ,carb not blocked just no power out of coil.????? I just can't get my mind to work right plus my hands are affected also so I have a hard time holding stuff. But I'm here!! I'm not giving up. Any thoughts ??? Thanks Robert
Old 10-12-2022, 10:03 PM   #14
Brentwood Bob

Ground to frame from battery needs to be good.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:28 PM   #15
31a

Bring it on Stay the course
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 11:20 PM   #16
DeBordEngineMan

Ground on frame is good took it off and cleaned frame. Car will turn over no problem just not any spark at points. Going to make a simple test light and start with coil see if I have power there and check and clean all connections for corrosion it has to be somewhere in the wiring going or coming from the coil also need to check wiring from ignition to distributor or wire connection from bottom to upper distributor plate??? Any suggestions?? I guess just go back to basics? Has to be something simple I'm just not thinking of??? Thanks Robert
Old 10-13-2022, 07:00 AM   #17
rotorwrench

A test light will indicate that current will pass but is limited to live circuits. Modern multi meters are probably less cost than the coils purchased. The Ohm meter is a very useful tool for electrical troubleshooting. The voltage and amp meter settings for DC systems fill out the rest of the useful purposes this tool will give you. The Ohm meter can be used to check every wire, the points, the ground path, and the coil for lack of continuity or shorts to ground.

Just because things look to be in good order doesn't prove that they are. A person has to have a way to prove the serviceability of all components and conductors in an individual electrical circuit.

Welcome back! Just remember, the only dumb question is likely the one that wasn't asked.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 01:03 PM   #18
Ernie Vitucci

Good Morning...I wonder if your points are grounding to the case? Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote