Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2015, 05:38 AM   #1
bbrust

Default 1939 Dash Harness Diagram

I'm helping a friend rewire portions of his 39 Deluxe Sedan. He bought a NOS 91A-14401 harness but the diagram was not included. Does anyone have a copy of the harness diagram that they could post or PM me? His old harness was a combination of frayed original and after market jungle of wires and twist connectors and isn't much help. I have a copy of the attached diagrams but I'm looking for a diagram specific to the dash harness.
Thanks, Bob
bbrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:27 AM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: 1939 Dash Harness Diagram

Have you tried looking in the owners reference book ---the owners manual that came with the car---I have a 1940 one that has detailed picture, color codes and pictures showing the wiring to the back of the insturment panel ---and the rest of the car
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:46 AM   #3
bbrust

Thanks. I'll see if he has an owners reference manual.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:03 AM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The diagrams you posted are a mixture of Mercury and Ford. Not sure there was much difference (if any) but I would use the correct diagram for the car. This is the 39 deluxe diagram and there are differences.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead_Electrical_wiring1939dlx.jpg (98.6 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 06-12-2015 at 09:21 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:37 AM   #5
Kahuna

Bbrust
What Jseery has shown is about the best there is.
The differences between the Deluxe & Standard car are minute.
His diagram will work just fine
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:49 PM   #6
bbrust

Thanks all for the help. I have the diagram that JSerry added but was hoping that someone had the diagram that I assume comes with the 91A-14401 harness. (Didn't come in our NOS harness package). We also bought a 91A-14405 harness and it came with a nice diagram that made installation quick and easy.

The car is a 39 Deluxe so after some review, it looks like we needed the 91A-14401D harness. Some of the wires from the old harness don't match the new harness. There appears to be 3 dash harness for 1939. The 91A-14401 harness states that it for a 39 Standard with a cut-out; the 91A-1440C harness states that it's for a 39 Standard with the Voltage Regulator on the firewall and the 91A-14401D is for the 39 Deluxe. Does the cut-out replace the Voltage Regulator? If so, that could be our problem. Thanks, Bob
Old 06-12-2015, 04:30 PM   #7
Kahuna

Bbrust
The cutout was replaced by the regulator. Some 39 standards came with a cutout and later the regulator was used. A 39 Deluxe would have had a regulator.
This help?
Old 06-12-2015, 04:47 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Not sure if this helps any, but I had a little spare time this afternoon.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1939 Deluxe wiring.pdf (230.4 KB, 128 views)
Old 06-12-2015, 05:22 PM   #9
bbrust

Kahuna, Thank you. That's probably our problem. We must have the harness for a cutout but since the car has a Voltage Regulator, the harness doesn't match. Where is the cutout mounted on the Standard?

JSeery, Thank you for the diagram. First time I've seen that and it will definitely help. Bob
Old 06-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

JSeery, Thank you for the diagram. First time I've seen that and it will definitely help. Bob[/QUOTE]

It's the first time you (or anyone) has seen it because I just built it about an hour ago! LOL

The cut-out is mounted on top of the generator. Look at the first diagram you posted, the main part of the diagram has the cut-out, the insert shows the regulator. The cut-out is the lump on the top center of the generator line drawing and has a wire going to the side of it.

Last edited by JSeery; 06-12-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:53 PM   #11
bbrust

Looks very professional. Thanks again, Bob
Old 06-13-2015, 10:37 AM   #12
bbrust

Our 39 Deluxe has a Voltage Regulator and the old harness had a double wire to the BAT terminal, a single wire to the FLD terminal and a single wire to the ARM terminal. It looks like the cutout wiring had a YB wire from the ign sw??? and another wire to the solenoid. Assuming that we have the Cutout harness, is there a way use this harness to connect wires to the Voltage Regulator? Thanks again, Bob
Old 06-13-2015, 05:04 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The Yellow/Black wire that went to the cut-out will connect to the Generator ARM post. The other end of this wire needs to connect to the ARM tab on the voltage regulator. You might be able to cut the wire and get one end (the Generator end) to connect to the regulator and then connect the other cut end to the BAT tab. If the wire is too short or you want to use the correct color (Yellow) then remove the existing cut end of the Yellow/Black wire from the fuse block and run a new wire (Yellow) from the fuse block to the BAT tab on the voltage regulator. You will have to add a new wire (Black) from the FLD post on the generator to the FLD tab on the voltage regulator. Need to ensure that the generator is grounded to the engine and the engine is grounded back to the battery as these generator connections do not have a dedicated ground wire.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:31 PM   #14
bbrust

Thank you very much JSeery. That should be all we need (until the next problem). You've been a great help. Bob
Old 06-14-2015, 12:33 AM   #15
Kahuna

If you want to get more of the correct wire for your changes, contact Brillman.com with your needs
Old 06-14-2015, 02:35 AM   #16
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Not sure if this helps any, but I had a little spare time this afternoon.
Now that is something! I've never seen anyone go to those lengths to create a diagram! Good on ya!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1939 Deluxe wiring.pdf (230.4 KB, 40 views)
Old 06-14-2015, 02:59 AM   #17
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
The Yellow/Black wire that went to the cut-out will connect to the Generator ARM post. The other end of this wire needs to connect to the ARM tab on the voltage regulator. You might be able to cut the wire and get one end (the Generator end) to connect to the regulator and then connect the other cut end to the BAT tab. If the wire is too short or you want to use the correct color (Yellow) then remove the existing cut end of the Yellow/Black wire from the fuse block and run a new wire (Yellow) from the fuse block to the BAT tab on the voltage regulator. You will have to add a new wire (Black) from the FLD post on the generator to the FLD tab on the voltage regulator. Need to ensure that the generator is grounded to the engine and the engine is grounded back to the battery as these generator connections do not have a dedicated ground wire.
It's been quite a while now since I wired my '38 Deluxe, but to my recollection, the '38 harness was used as is for a cut-out, and a short modifier harness was supplied with the regulator if a radio was to be installed at the dealership. This is the combo harness I used. The '39 Standard harness is likely the same harness as used in the '38, as the same option would apply. To be Concourse correct, then, the 39 Deluxe harness is different in that it is designed for use only with a regulator. I know this has been said before, but sometimes a different wording can be helpful if any puzzlement remained.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:53 AM   #18
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

'38 standards had an accessory electric clock available.
'39 standards had nothing.
From memory the '38 wiring harnesses exited the firewall at the center,
'39's went out on the LH side.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:30 AM   #19
ford38v8

Swoop, Correct for the Deluxe, but the '39 Standard had the same firewall with center harness grommet as the 38 Deluxe. Looking back at the first post diagram, it does confirm the same harness 38 and 39 Standard.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:52 AM   #20
Kahuna

SwoopNZ is correct
Harness on a Standard car exits thru the left side (driver) firewall, not center.