Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #22
FRITZ47

Default Re: 1940 Ford Hood Alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by push_rod View Post
I might have just gotten lucky when I put the hood back onto my coupe. I used a technique my cousin (WWII dry lake bed racer) told me. I installed the grille and fenders first. I then placed a padded furniture blanket over the fenders. I installed the hood, but left the hinge and hinge plate bolts slightly loose at the attachment points on the firewall. I opened the hood, and gently pushed it up as high as it would go (only enough to take up all the slack at the firewall attachment points.). While I held the hood up, my dad tightened up those slightly loose bolts. The hood shut and aligned perfectly, fitting tightly against the top and sides of the cowl.
Well this is the spot that we were in (grille and fenders were installed first). After reading all of this information (wow), thought for sure we were going to have to pull the front fenders and grille and start all over. Amazingly, our body man was able to get the hood lined up perfectly last Monday in about 3 hours. I wasn't at work that day, so don't know how he did it. (Don't ask - don't tell they say and I know he won't tell me). I am very particular and told my son before looking at the alignment if it was off even 1/8" we would have to start all over. Well we don't have to start all over!

I hope to have some pictures posted soon. The new running boards came in from Bob Drake last Thursday - just in time. Still have some odds and ends, and some small stuff to finish. A couple of hours work - so that means about 2 weeks!

Fritz
FRITZ47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)