Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
roccaas

Default Accelerator linkage stiffness

The car's always had it, but it wasn't until a friend pointed it out that I recognized the stiffness.

The pedal pushes smoothly to about 3/4 of the full travel, and then it gets a little stiff, and takes slightly more pressure to push past the stiffness and down to the floor for the last 1/4 of the full travel.

It is almost like the "catch" on some older automatic transmission cars just before the kick-down is activated.

The hand throttle has no stiffness, it goes to full down travel without any hitch.

Is this built into the accelerator linkage, or has the car developed a hitch somewhere between the pedal and the carburetor?
Old 09-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
sturgis 39

Default Re: Accelerator linkage stiffness

Check the battery cable from the battery to the starter. There is a little bracket that mounts on the flywheel housing to hold the cable. The bracket is a "U" shaped piece of tin with a hole. The cable can also stop the brake pedal from not going far enough to apply the brakes. Oil all of the throttle connections and the little holes in the bracket that mounts to the back of the block.

Make sure the battery cable is the correct length and there might be some rub marks on your existing cable. In SD we calls these Indian signs.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
sturgis 39

Be sure to lets us know what you find.

Thanks

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.

Last edited by sturgis 39; 09-16-2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: added thanks
Old 09-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
Marco Tahtaras

It could simply be a bend in the unit that increases in misalignment the further you push it down. If the throttle lever feels smooth though it's travel then I'd bet it's only providing 3/4 throttle.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:17 AM   #5
dumb person

Have the floorboards sagged? That can happen and make the pedals rub on them. You probably checked that already though.
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:53 AM   #6
sturgis 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post
Have the floorboards sagged? That can happen and make the pedals rub on them. You probably checked that already though.
Dumb Person

Excellent response to this problem.

I bent my throttle pedal while pulling the engine one time. It got held up on the firewall. I had to bend it to clear the floor boards.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
Charlie Stephens

Have you oiled the linkage recently? Check the lubrication chart. There are a couple of places near the block designed for oil. I can't explain why the hand throttle works well.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
sturgis 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Have you oiled the linkage recently? Check the lubrication chart. There are a couple of places near the block designed for oil. I can't explain why the hand throttle works well.

Charlie Stephens
The throttle pedal and the hand throttle do not connect except at the bottom of the steering column. This is not a hard connection. If the hand throttle works correctly, the problem is probably related to the floor boards or the battery cable.I think something is binding the throttle pedal.

We have not heard from Roccaas except for the original post. He could be driving his Model"A" to attend the noon performance at the neighborhood strip bar. I know that is where I would be if all off the fat ladies in town did not have it shut down.

Last edited by sturgis 39; 09-17-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: added strip bar
Old 09-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
Special Coupe Frank

Does it return under spring-pressure, or do you have to lift the pedal with the edge of your shoe ?
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #10
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgis 39 View Post
The throttle pedal and the hand throttle do not connect except at the bottom of the steering column. This is not a hard connection. If the hand throttle works correctly, the problem is probably related to the floor boards or the battery cable.I think something is binding the throttle pedal.

We have not heard from Roccaas except for the original post. He could be driving his Model"A" to attend the noon performance at the neighborhood strip bar. I know that is where I would be if all off the fat ladies in town did not have it shut down.
I was thinking maybe the hand throttle was working but not covering the complete range. A little oil couldn't hurt especially if it has never been oiled before. It is an unusual location to oil and most people miss it.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
MrTube

Its the secondaries kicking in
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote