Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
socalplanedoc

Default Need a new steering box

30 Fordor, the steering box is shot. wheel can turn about 45 degrees before anything happens, it's a real experience driving it.

So I ask the braintrust here, what's the best way to proceed? I'm a capable mechanic but have zero Model A experience.

Is it out of the question to attempt a home overhaul? what do you guys think about the EZ-Steer? http://www.ezsteer.net/ezsteer-28-31

any "go-to" vendors in the country?

Thanks in Advance!
socalplanedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Need a new steering box

I have no personal experience with EZ-Steer but strongly recommend you read what others have said about it here and on HAMB (accessible through the "Hot Rods and Customs forum on this site). Another consideration is a converted F-100 truck box from someone like Mel Gross http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread...ighlight=gross.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 08-05-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
700rpm

Forget EZ Steer and F-100 boxes. A properly rebuilt steering box is fine and the steering is easy. You may need no more than an adjustment, which you can do with a two-two box, which is what you should have. This is a home repair/rebuild you can do if you have to, except if the worm gear has to be replaced. That's specialty work. I did mine last year and had to have a machine shop do the worm gear and insert new needle bearings, but otherwise it's pretty straight forward. Get a copy of The Ford Service Bulletins or Les Andrews's book. They'll take you step by easy step through the process, whether it is just an adjustment or a total rebuild.

Where are you located? Put your location in your profile and local people will come over and help.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 08-05-2012 at 04:00 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
gunmetal blue

Send a message via Yahoo to gunmetal blue

I have rebuilt mine and there simpole to work on. call me if need information 574-221-1475 e-mail [email protected] . Have pics. if you need them.(terry_rose2002)
gunmetal blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
Patrick L.

Have you tried adjusting it ?? Generally a proper adjust works wonders.. Service bulletins are best for this as well as most repairs for these critters.. Most of the 'A' vendors have all the repair parts or rebuilt boxes..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
Aerocraft

Before spending any money, I suggest that you check the security of the two steering box to frame bolts. When they work loose, steering becomes very sloppy.

Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
PO51

I assume by your avatar you are in southern California, If you want to keep is stock then go with a rebuild. Mel Gross does a nice job on the F-100 boxes if you decide to go that way, he is in Montebello. He may also have a leed on a stock box.
PO51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
socalplanedoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
I have no personal experience with EZ-Steer but strongly recommend you read what others have said about it here and on HAMB (accessible through the "Hot Rods and Customs forum on this site). Another consideration is a converted F-100 truck box from someone like Mel Gross http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread...ighlight=gross.
Charlie Stephens
Thanks Charlie, I'll look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Forget EZ Steer and F-100 boxes. A properly rebuilt steering box is fine and the steering is easy. You may need no more than an adjustment, which you can do with a two-two box, which is what you should have. This is a home repair/rebuild you can do if you have to, except if the worm gear has to be replaced.
Where are you located? Put your location in your profile and local people will come over and help.
Thanks for that advice, I did put in my location.
I fully expected to get a purist urge me to stick with original, and I wasnt disappointed I like original but if I have to replace it, I also like to survey my options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
Have you tried adjusting it ?? Generally a proper adjust works wonders.. Service bulletins are best for this as well as most repairs for these critters.. Most of the 'A' vendors have all the repair parts or rebuilt boxes..
I forgot to add that the lube leaks out as fast as you put it in, there was quite a sticky mess on the floor where it was stored. I think it needs more than an adjustment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PO51 View Post
I assume by your avatar you are in southern California, If you want to keep is stock then go with a rebuild. Mel Gross does a nice job on the F-100 boxes if you decide to go that way, he is in Montebello. He may also have a leed on a stock box.
I am in San Diego, I'll look into Mel Gross.

Thanks everyone!
Bill.
socalplanedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
KGBnut

If you decide to have it professionally rebuilt, I just had mine done by Bob Barnes in Connecticut. I was very happy with the results.

Admittedly, it was convenient for me since he is less than an hour from my home.

His ads are in the back of The Restorer, but if you need his contact info, you can PM me.

Ken
Old 08-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #10
columbiA

A rebuilt 2-tooth box with several mods will as easily as an F-100 box.The other day I explained the mods I did to my steering on my 30 coupe.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #11
SDJason

If you're in San Diego, you might want to give Bill Hansen in Ramona a call - don't have his contact info handy, but one of his ads is always in the back of the Quail Call, the local Model A club newsletter (http://www.sdmodelaclub.com/).
I had him rebuild the steering box on my Town Sedan last Fall.
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:12 AM   #12
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalplanedoc View Post
... what do you guys think about the EZ-Steer? http://www.ezsteer.net/ezsteer-28-31 ...
I bought one of these P-O-S units before I became a member on this board. WOW what a debacle. Don't know how he has continued to advertise and keep selling them. Says he's sold over 1,000 of them. I have often wondered if there are very many of that 1,000 still in use. I personally know of one that isn't. And even though he advertises a "Lifetime Guarantee", I really don't ever expect to see a refund coming my way anytime soon (if ever).

My rig currently has an F100 box in it and I love it!
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #13
Glenn C.

It is not a cheap undertaking to rebuild an original 2 tooth steering box if you have pitted or worn surfaces on the worm gear and upper bearing. At home project for a mechanic....Yes! Have a service manual handy for the adjusting proceedure and to ensure you have not overlooked something. If you decide to not bother with the original....go with a Mel Gross conversion.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #14
jerry shook

I had a two tooth rebuilt with the new bearings cost $ 400.00. Installed the easy steer kit in front end. It drove better then before, decided to try mel gross steering box, you will have to drive one it is great steer with one hand even when starting off. Go with mel"s conversion.
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #15
BrianBurkert

If you have mechanical skills and tools, a steering box is fun to rebuild. Often, the hardest part is getting the steering wheel on and off without messing up the threads. Sometimes you can get away fairly inexpensively, depending on the condition of the internals. It is also not difficult to find a rebuildable box if your worm/sector are completely worn out. The section in Model A Mechanics Handbook by Les Andrews walked me through rebuilding and adjustment.
BrianBurkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #16
wnovinge

I, too, recommend Bill Hansen and his crew. That being said, I am in the process of installing a Mell Gross F100 box in my '31 CCPU and would be happy to chat or get together...I live in El Cajon. Drop me an email here on the forum or call on 919.673.5796 if you want to discuss.
wnovinge is offline   Reply With Quote