Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-18-2014, 08:58 AM   #61
malloyjp

Default Re: Frozen Distributor 351 Windsor (69)

the shaft feels tight to me when I try to move it side to side. I ordered the better points and a new wire (coil to distributor). I went to reinstall the old wire and the wire casing cracked. The wire said Autolite, so assuming it's very old, possibly original. Once I get my parts I'll try again with the points. Do you guys know if there's a way to know if the vacuum advance is still good ? (The horn part that screws into top part of distributor. Again I think I have an original part (Autolite). I cleaned it up, but I read somewhere that these things often are not working anymore. Wondering if there's a test I can do to know if the part is still good.

Oh and one last thing. My oil pan drain plug is a leaker. I tried a new gasket, not working. Think it's the original steel pan (ford blue). Anyway, can I thread an oversize drain plug into a steel pan ? Anyone know what my options are to stop the leak ? Outside of replacing the pan.

Yes Ford3, 14 guys have been helping and I appreciate every single one of them. This forum is great. Thanks again to everyone !
malloyjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #62
40cpe

The canister advances the timing when vacuum is applied. you can attach your vacuum hose to manifold vacuum (any port that has vacuum all the time), then with your timing light on, attach it to the canister. You will see the advance and hear the engine RPM increase.

You can also see it with it attached to the normal (ported) vacuum. Watch the timing as you open the carb and you will see the timing advance, but as RPM increases the mechanical will kick in and add to the total advance.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #63
malloyjp

I want to say thanks to everyone on this thread. The car started up on the first try and I was able to set the timing. The engine is running much smoother and has more power. I still have to dial in the carburetor, but this was a big step. Setting the points was a real treat, but I think I got the gap correct. I will recheck in a few days. But it was really awesome to get it back up and running better. THANKS !!!!
malloyjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:22 PM   #64
40cpe

Thank YOU for posting the results.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote