Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-31-2023, 11:51 AM   #1
cristeven

Default Battery Box ‘28

The battery box or hanger on my ‘28 has been a disaster to the eyes, but saving up to replace it has ended in some disappointment. The new Snyder’s unit does not seem to match whatsoever. Can someone educate me on if my box mounts are original? Should I attempt to use them again since they appear to fit better to the frame? The studs are also a different size than the ones from Snyder’s with the older ones being larger.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

-Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8833.jpg (52.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8834.jpg (50.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8835.jpg (45.7 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by cristeven; 12-31-2023 at 05:31 PM.
cristeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 12:13 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Battery Box ‘27

Since yours is an "AR" I would attempt to keep it as original as possible.

Ford did "vary" the battery boxes somewhat during the Model A tenure. The Service Bulletins outline several changes including the clamps, the battery "frame", and possibly the attachments to the car frame. I've never seen a battery box EXACTLY as yours so chalk this one up to "developmental" to the AR car.

And reproductions tend to be "close" but not exact. It's like they took a survey of all possibilities and created a battery box to yield the greatest number of consumers. Well, this is in keeping with Ford Modus - as Ford generally made all parts revisions "back-fittable" to previous production.

You can buy the "square plate" separately and attach it to your battery frame - but you'll get the square plate same as they use on the reproduction full monte. I.e. not exactly what you have.

Again, being "AR" you should have a special "mission" to keep the car "as original as possible" - if you choose to accept it.

They only made about 5 million Model As - and estimates are perhaps 10 percent have survived the WWII scrap drives and "rodders." Yours might be 10 percent of that 10 percent. (i.e. less than 50K ARs survive.)

Joe K
Old 12-31-2023, 12:53 PM   #3
WTSHNN

Default Re: Battery Box ‘27

You have a forged battery support which was used until August of 1928. I have one on my July of '28 Phaeton. They pop up on various Model A sales sites occasionally. I would call Bert's on Tuesday (Www.modelastore.com) and see if they have one in stock.

Edited to add; this part is not reproduced so an original needs to be found.
-Tim

Last edited by WTSHNN; 12-31-2023 at 02:33 PM.
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 08:34 PM   #4
Gregb

Default Re: Battery Box ‘28

I have the same one on my Feb 28 roadster and mine was in very bad condition, no bottom plate left at all. I bought the reproduction and like you was disappointed that it was not even close to what I have. What I did was take some measurements and I cut the top mounting brackets off of both and welded the new lower section onto the original upper brackets and then sand blasted and powder coated it and it looks great and fits as original. You will need to get the proper top retaining parts for it and Bert's has them.

Greg B
Gregb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 08:45 PM   #5
Bigsnapper43

Default Re: Battery Box ‘28

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have a November '28 that had the same unit in it. Also had extra holes in the frame for the later unit. Rebuild the old unit!!
Bigsnapper43 is offline   Reply With Quote