Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
David Conwill

Default T86/R10: I6 versus V8

I just read this in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgewarren View Post
Things are looking good! I always thought that 312s came with the heavy duty t85. All my 312s had the t85, and my 272 and 292s had a different tranny than the one you have; they had a rectangular side cover (the same as all my flatheads) The only tranny that I had that had a top cover was in a 56 F100. Good luck!
I don’t want to hijack Hivolt5.0's thread, so I’ll ask seperately: Is there a difference between the T86/R10 run behind the 292 V8 and the T86/R10 run behind the 223 I6? Or was the only break between the 292 V8 and the 312 V8? The latter of which received the T85/R11.

The reason I asked is that I'm setting up my Falcon 200 to use a T86/R10 from behind a '57 Ranchero 223. I also have a V8 bellhousing in case I someday want to run a 250 or a mild 289/302. I'm wondering if the 6-cylinder T86 is up to the task if not abused, or if it would be better to seek out a V8 T86 for if/when that happens.

I would think a T85 would be overkill for those applications, however.

Thanks,

Dave
David Conwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
Hivolt5.0

Default Re: T86/R10: I6 versus V8

This is a really interesting question. I wish I had an answer for you but I'm pretty new to these trannys too.

Oh, and no worries about hijacking my other thread; I'm here to learn too.

Dave
Hivolt5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
David Conwill

Default Re: T86/R10: I6 versus V8

Well, in the interest of spreading the information around. Here's the response I got when I reposted on the HAMB:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnstray View Post
While I cannot tell you I know with absolute certainty, my belief is that the T86 trans is the same capacity for both the six and smaller V8's. There may be a difference in ratios between the two, and in theory that could affect it's torque capacity, but I seriously doubt that small difference would be worth worrying about.

I didn't start out with this post with the following comment in mind, but did just think of it. I have a '63 Ford Galaxie trans, 3 spd w/OD. It is, technically, a 'top loader' (tin cover on top, gears go in through that opening) but I don't think it is the same as the HD units usually referred to as "Top Loaders". It has the '49 thru '64 bolt pattern.

Ray
David Conwill is offline   Reply With Quote