Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2021, 08:59 AM   #1
bigd1101

Default Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
#1 - It is not my car, but yours so I cannot give you an answer that is not biased. If you want to run it, just monitor how it performs.

You will have posters jumping on here saying "it will be just fine".

I never could fully understand price concern over quality concern. Usually, one will find the correct quality components and then price shop.

What condition was the old fluid in?
I understand. I guess I'll just monitor it and if shifting changes (it's smooth now) I'll replace it. I was going for the "right stuff", regardless of price. I assumed all Dex/Merc stuff is the same regardless of brand. Also, I've never owned a automatic old car or truck, other than beaters, when I was a young whipper snapper, and didn't give a sh*t what ATF I put in those, as long as it got me home so this ATF is new to me....as that goes.

I wanted to replace the ATF in this car as it was about a quart or more low and the previous owner could not remember what he put in it and of course, I was warned "not to mix" so here I am. The shop that changed it said it was as clean and pink as they had ever seen, but again, I didn't want to top it off with whatever I could find, not knowing what was in there. I call that a quandary....
bigd1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:21 PM   #2
Merc Cruzer

Just when I was ready to change the transmission fluid tomorrow, the gasket /filter supplier, sent me the wrong one.

I ordered picture #1 and they sent me picture #2.

Reliable supplier, (ATP), so it shouldn't take long to get me the correct one.

I guess I was wrong:

Here is the original add on E-bay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38411381192...Cclp%3A2563228

Correspondence between ATP and myself:

To: [email protected]
Sent: 7/1/2021 6:39:46 PM Mountain Standard Time
Subject: Re: blackporsche1987 sent a message about ATP Automotive Auto Transmission Filter Kit for 1952-1956 Mercury Custom pl #384113811924

My e-mail is: [email protected]

I have to admit I don't understand when you say: " We are sorry it does not appear to match the kit pictured." Why don't the parts look like the ones pictured in the add?

Send me the prepaid return label, and I will return the wrong parts, for a full refund, to include shipping and tax.

You should really change your add to reflect what is being sent when ordering: ATP Automotive Auto Transmission Filter Kit for 1952-1956 Mercury Custom pl

In a message dated 7/1/2021 6:29:14 PM Mountain Standard Time, [email protected] writes:
Dear blackporsche1987,

Hello, The part number ordered matches the part number sent on the box in the picture. This is ATP kit B-33. We are sorry it does not appear to match the kit pictured. We do not know the part number of the kit you would require with the more rectangular shape. We can provide a prepaid return label for a full refund upon return receipt of the new and uninstalled part. If you would like to be set up for a prepaid label please provide a personal email for us to send it to. We apologize for any inconvenience. If you have any questions or concerns please reach out.

Regards, Sixity Auto Direct Customer Service
Thank You, Sixity Auto Direct Customer Service:::a0S3w00001G5InCEAV:::

On 2021-07-01 21:41:39,
blackporsche1987 asked:I ordered: ATP Automotive Auto Transmission Filter Kit for 1952-1956 Mercury Custom pl:https://www.ebay.com/itm/384113811924

The first two pictures are what you sent me, the third picture is what I ordered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (21.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0002.jpg (60.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 07-01-2021 at 07:49 PM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:23 AM   #3
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post

Just when I was ready to change the transmission fluid tomorrow, the gasket /filter supplier, sent me the wrong one.

I ordered picture #1 and they sent me picture #2.

Reliable supplier, (ATP), so it shouldn't take long to get me the correct one.

I guess I was wrong:

Here is the original add on E-bay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38411381192...Cclp%3A2563228

Correspondence between ATP and myself:

To: [email protected]
Sent: 7/1/2021 6:39:46 PM Mountain Standard Time
Subject: Re: blackporsche1987 sent a message about ATP Automotive Auto Transmission Filter Kit for 1952-1956 Mercury Custom pl #384113811924

My e-mail is: [email protected]

I have to admit I don't understand when you say: " We are sorry it does not appear to match the kit pictured." Why don't the parts look like the ones pictured in the add?

Send me the prepaid return label, and I will return the wrong parts, for a full refund, to include shipping and tax.

You should really change your add to reflect what is being sent when ordering: ATP Automotive Auto Transmission Filter Kit for 1952-1956 Mercury Custom pl

In a message dated 7/1/2021 6:29:14 PM Mountain Standard Time, [email protected] writes:
Dear blackporsche1987,

Hello, The part number ordered matches the part number sent on the box in the picture. This is ATP kit B-33. We are sorry it does not appear to match the kit pictured. We do not know the part number of the kit you would require with the more rectangular shape. We can provide a prepaid return label for a full refund upon return receipt of the new and uninstalled part. If you would like to be set up for a prepaid label please provide a personal email for us to send it to. We apologize for any inconvenience. If you have any questions or concerns please reach out.

Regards, Sixity Auto Direct Customer Service
Thank You, Sixity Auto Direct Customer Service:::a0S3w00001G5InCEAV:::

On 2021-07-01 21:41:39,
blackporsche1987 asked:I ordered: ATP Automotive Auto Transmission Filter Kit for 1952-1956 Mercury Custom pl:https://www.ebay.com/itm/384113811924

The first two pictures are what you sent me, the third picture is what I ordered.
... what a bunchfvck ...

It seems I was wrong in recommending them. Now if you want another caveat (Fr.) thrown into the mix, their product photos are the same as another E-BAY seller showing a NOS B9AP 7A098-B FM filter.

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Transmission...c/264297128980

When you expand the attachments there is descriptive text below them.

- BILLBOARD FOR SALE - LEASE - RENT - OPTION TO BUY -

- NO SOLICITING -

(Unless A Cheap And Tawdry Bar Maiden ... )

- NO TRESPASS - FISHING - HUNTING -

- NO NOTHING -

- POST NO BILLS -

... Kilroy was here ... ... sigh ...

Last edited by KULTULZ; 07-02-2021 at 08:37 AM.
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:11 AM   #4
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
... what a bunchfvck ...

It seems I was wrong in recommending them. Now if you want another caveat (Fr.) thrown into the mix, their product photos are the same as another E-BAY seller showing a NOS B9AP 7A098-B FM filter.

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Transmission...c/264297128980

When you expand the attachments there is descriptive text below them.
I am trying this guy now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15437105901...733b00e67b8533

I might just be setting myself up for failure again.

Who would ever guess changing the trans fluid on the car would be such an issue. When I called O'Riellys to check on the one they had advertised, they said it was special order and I would have to pay shipping.

Remember that discussion on just cleaning the screen a few post back, well it might just come to that. I checked with the guy that has the NOS screen and it doesn't have the "O" rings. Probably not an issue anyway, as they would be all dried out by now.

If worse comes to worse, I could always just clean the filter/screen and use silicone for the gasket. My fingers are crossed on the new surlier, his screen name is (guaranteedtofit)

Today's project, make a box, to put the box the incorrect filter and gasket came in, to send it back for a refund. They sent it in a bag with bubble wrap.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:10 AM   #5
NZFordguy

Love it
NZFordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:59 AM   #6
Merc Cruzer

The transmission will tell you soon enough if it doesn't agree.

I speak from experience when I say, if the fluid you put in has slipping agents, to provide for a smoother shift, the shifts will begin to "slam", since the plates will begin to slip before they grab. If that happens you will need to shorten the TV rod, as much as possible to prevent damage to the trans and rear differential. Since the rod will be the incorrect length, it will result in the loss of your "Kick Down", when you floor it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9995 (2) arrow.jpg (61.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 07-23-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:35 AM   #7
bigd1101

Quote:
The transmission will tell you soon enough if it doesn't agree.

I speak from experience when I say, if the fluid you put in has slipping agents, to provide for a smoother shift, the shifts will begin to "slam", since the plates will begin to slip before they grab. If that happens you will need to lengthen the TV rod, as much as possible to prevent damage to the trans and rear differential. Since the rod will be the incorrect length, it will result in the loss of your "Kick Down", when you floor it.
I have the right stuff coming. I'll just drain this and add the Type F.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:43 AM   #8
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd1101 View Post
I think that will prove to be a wise decision. You don't potentially want to create issues, where there are non.

Since we ordered them from the same vendor, did you get the correct gasket and screen/filter?
Old 07-03-2021, 11:53 AM   #9
bigd1101

Quote:
I think that will prove to be a wise decision. You don't potentially want to create issues, where there are non.

Since we ordered them from the same vendor, did you get the correct gasket and screen/filter?
I did.....
Old 07-03-2021, 02:51 PM   #10
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
I did.....
Good to hear.
Old 07-03-2021, 06:34 PM   #11
KULTULZ

Unhappy Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Quote:

TYPE F is not the correct fill for that trans unless you desire to have a more firm shift. What you have (TS) is a supposed replacement for early DEXRON-MERCON (and they were not totally alike). It is just the quality of that particular product that concerns me.

Original formulation(s) are not available as the licenses have since lapsed/expired. So a refiner can now say anything.

- NO SOLICITING -

- NO NOTHING -

- POST NO BILLS -

Old 07-03-2021, 08:23 PM   #12
KULTULZ

To add to the confusion and your continued reading enjoyment -

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/ford...ii-t11819.html

- NO SOLICITING -

- NO NOTHING -

- POST NO BILLS -

Old 07-03-2021, 09:26 PM   #13
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
TYPE F is not the correct fill for that trans unless you desire to have a more firm shift. What you have (TS) is a supposed replacement for early DEXRON-MERCON (and they were not totally alike). It is just the quality of that particular product that concerns me.

Original formulation(s) are not available as the licenses have since lapsed/expired. So a refiner can now say anything.
You can adjust the firmness of the shift with the TV rod. Unscrewing the top "Y" piece, will make the rod longer, and will make the shift harder. Screwing it down, making the rod shorter, will make the shift softer. If you unscrew the top piece too far you will loose the kick down.

Scroll down to Ford Lincoln Mercury - first line:

http://www.carquestprofessionals.com...%206.10.13.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9995 (2) arrow.jpg (61.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 07-23-2021 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-04-2021, 01:58 PM   #14
bigd1101

Quote:
You can adjust the firmness of the shift with the TV rod. Unscrewing the top "Y" piece, will make the rod longer, and will make the shift softer. Screwing it down, making the rod shorter, will make the shift firmer. If you unscrew the top piece too far you will loose the kick down.

Scroll down to Ford Lincoln Mercury - first line:

http://www.carquestprofessionals.com...%206.10.13.pdf
OK....there seems to be some conflict here on what I have in there now and the Type F that is coming any day now. Has anyone tried the new Type F in the Merc-o-matic with LONG TERM success? What is the consensus?

Is there a viable alternative to what is being used in there cars, other than what I have in my car now, and the Type F, I had planned on putting in???

This whole ball of confusion started with a simple question....."What IS the best ATF today, to use in the Merc-o-matic?" And to be honest, so far, there is no solid consistent (and time tested by folks on here) answer, at least that is what I'm hearing.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:54 PM   #15
Daves55Sedan

[QUOTE=Merc Cruzer;2032611]You can adjust the firmness of the shift with the TV rod. Unscrewing the top "Y" piece, will make the rod longer, and will make the shift harder. Screwing it down, making the rod shorter, will make the shift softer. If you unscrew the top piece too far you will loose the kick down./QUOTE]
Having been familiar with the Fordomatic shop manual and adjustments of the kick-down shift rod, I would exercise great caution with the above.
My policy is: #1) use Dexron/Mercon fluid. #2) Adjust the kick down rod EXACTLY the way the shop manual calls for and do not make further adjustments just to mask something else possibly being wrong. Leave that adjustment alone after it has been corrected per the instructions in the shop manual. It says DAMAGE can result if the kick-down is adjusted too far.
I've been using Dexron/Mercon ATF since the mid '80's in both my Fordomatics. I has been flawless and long-lasting.

Last edited by Daves55Sedan; 07-23-2021 at 08:15 PM.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:03 PM   #16
KULTULZ

Fiddling with F/M TV ADJ without a pressure gauge may give you more trouble than you are prepared for. Same as with the later AOD.

- NO SOLICITING -

- NO NOTHING -

- POST NO BILLS -

Old 07-04-2021, 08:54 AM   #17
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Fiddling with F/M TV ADJ without a pressure gauge may give you more trouble than you are prepared for. Same as with the later AOD.
Sorry, I should have stated the following caveat: "This is for informational purposes only, this procedure should only be carried out by a trained mechanic with the proper tools."
Old 07-04-2021, 12:27 PM   #18
dmsfrr

Quote:
Sorry, I should have stated the following caveat: "This is for informational purposes only, this procedure should only be carried out by a trained mechanic with the proper tools."
Quote:
You can adjust the firmness of the shift with the TV rod. Unscrewing the top "Y" piece, will make the rod longer, and will make the shift softer. Screwing it down, making the rod shorter, will make the shift firmer. If you unscrew the top piece too far you will loose the kick down.
In the '55 Bird I have, with an air-cooled FOM... The transmission was slipping very badly when pulling away from a stop, squealing and shaking the whole car.

The car has a relatively mismatched collection of '55 and '57 parts under the hood. The top end of the engine is '57 style pieces; heads, intake, carb, throttle bellcrank...

I followed the TV linkage adjustment procedure as closely as I could and ended up unscrewing the adjustment piece, lengthening the rod. The slipping, squealing & shaking went away.

Not sure if this matches anything else, it's just what happened.
I read somewhere the shift levers on a T-Bird FOM use levers on the side of the trans that are upside down from the 'full-sized car' versions. Not sure how true that is or if it even makes a difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg throttle bellcrank, left side adjustment c2.jpg (85.8 KB, 8 views)
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 05:37 AM   #19
KULTULZ

Question Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

In the '55 Bird I have, with an air-cooled FOM... The transmission was slipping very badly when pulling away from a stop, squealing and shaking the whole car.

The car has a relatively mismatched collection of '55 and '57 parts under the hood. The top end of the engine is '57 style pieces; heads, intake, carb, throttle bellcrank...

I followed the TV linkage adjustment procedure as closely as I could and ended up unscrewing the adjustment piece, lengthening the rod. The slipping, squealing & shaking went away.

Not sure if this matches anything else, it's just what happened.

I read somewhere the shift levers on a T-Bird FOM use levers on the side of the trans that are upside down from the 'full-sized car' versions. Not sure how true that is or if it even makes a difference.
Just wondering (as I often do ... ...), you posted it came with a FYB 256 which is most likely from a 54 MERC. Were you able to ID the TRANS that came in it?

You are correct on the shift lever(s) position(s) as one was for a column shift car and the other arrangement for a floor/console shift car.

- NO SOLICITING -

- NO NOTHING -

- POST NO BILLS -

Old 07-04-2021, 02:59 PM   #20
KULTULZ

Post Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Quote:

There are complete threads somewhere on here and on y-blocksforever discussing how important the fluid pressure is.

That is another subject that will add to all of this confusion.

- NO SOLICITING -

- NO NOTHING -

- POST NO BILLS -