Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
Fred A

Default 239 On The Cheap?

I have a '40 that has been under a dirt floored carport, out of direct rain for about forty years. The engine is a tempting candidate for some thrifty rehab. Not all good news, but here are some of my findings: The Weiand heads were bolted and came off easily. The Three carb intake also easy and was sold to a guy immediately to cover some of my expenses. The engine turned freely with no internal rust, sludge or corrosion. The outside alloy parts were dark and rough. Appears to have been ported and relieved the old fashoned way, to the gasket line. Pulling the crab distributor revealed the Isky Full 87, waaay more cam than my need. Rotating assembly is all 59A at +.040". This plus no ridge and a dry buy clean inside makes me think this old engine may be worth putting back into action on the cheap. My needs call for a much more stock engine. Is such a project best sold to someone needing such an engine or should it be tamed to my needs by changing the cam, which I have several options?

Options:

'41 99T with H&C Semi cam

59A crack inspected stock

Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:29 PM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: 239 On The Cheap?

Fred, I am afraid this will be like asking which is the best oil to use.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:32 PM   #3
Vonn Ditch

Good lord man that sounds like a great engine to me.
Vonn Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
19Fordy

Keep and refurbish that engine. Run 2 carbs instead of 3 and you will have a very nice engine. or, install a milder cam. Don't make the mistake of selling that engine. Good blocks are hard to find. It sounds like you already have a good rebuilt engine. Get it running first. Then make your decision. Hope the bottom of the car isn't rusted away from moisture rising up from the dirt floor.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:50 PM   #5
38 coupe

Install a stock cam and you should have a nice running engine. You can't build an engine for what you would sell that one for.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:20 PM   #6
Ford Freak

Keep it !!
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:23 PM   #7
Ol' Ron

I don't consider the Isky 87/88 cam to be a radical cam, sound good and runs quite well. It's also very old, probably discontinued by Isky in the late fifty's. Just run it, yes dual carbs will do fine.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:36 AM   #8
scooder

I'm with Ron, that isky cam is actually fairly mild, I know it says full race, but it's mild.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:01 AM   #9
Tim Ayers

Run it!
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:57 PM   #10
Fred A

Perhaps the Isky 87 is not as impractical as I feared as good flathead advisors point out. When I said "on the cheap" meant not spending money for little or no value. So many just spend and spend and my long stored coupe, which luckily is not rusty will get back on the road sooner if it is just cleaned and made safe. Not run since '71 makes it a bit much but would be great If I can do it. Thanks for the responses: Fred A
Old 09-24-2015, 01:57 PM   #11
scooder

Fred,
're the question on the heads. Keep the Weiand heads on it. They aren't very high compression (about 7:1 on your engine) better mpg and better torque than stock. Though really the ignition should be recurved to get full advantage.
The 99T heads you speak of 5.8:1! Not good for anything in my opinion. The Weiand head has a 69cc chamber, the 99T is 91cc. 59A is 76cc, 81A is 80cc. These are plus or minus a couple of cc but good enough for comparative work.
That isky bump stick will be much nicer to drive with higher compression. Mixing a cam with low compression heads just throws low down torque away. Sure folk do it, sure they say it runs great, sure it sounds ok. Every single person that does this would be amazed how much better it is with high compression. And then amazed again when fittin an ignition with the proper advance curve. I'm talking street here,
Ok I'm waffling.
So, can we have some pics please???
Car pics, and engine pics.
Pretty please?
Martin.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #12
sidevalve8ba

I agree with Martin's advice about your "on the cheap" engine.

I also would like to see some photos.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #13
19Fordy

Fred A: No photos means you don't really have it!
Just kidding.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:32 PM   #14
Fred A

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
Fred,
The 99T heads you speak of 5.8:1! Not good for anything in my opinion. The Weiand head has a 69cc chamber, the 99T is 91cc. 59A is 76cc, 81A is 80cc. These are plus or minus a couple of cc but good enough for comparative work.
That isky bump stick will be much nicer to drive with higher compression. Mixing a cam with low compression heads just throws low down torque away. So, can we have some pics please???
Car pics, and engine pics.
Pretty please?
Martin.
Sorry, the 99T is an engine that also came with the car. It is factory style relieved with a H&C semi cam with johnson lifters. It is a factory 1941 239 that was probably used in trucks. I checked the top end and the pan rails and found all good. After inspection probably would be a good home for some more of my go-fast parts. At least it looks a bit more like a real 1940 engine.

As for the ugly Weiand heads on the 59A: with that old fashoned relief job, I'll need something to restore some of the compression lost in that "improvement".

Been limping along too long with the picture thing. E-mail has been the only way so far for me. Three '40 coupes have come and gone in the past four years and not yet a picture to crow about it. I now get one that's a keeper and it becomes a real problem. Working on it! Fred A
Old 09-24-2015, 07:57 PM   #15
Ol' Ron

I don't think the 99T was a factory relieved block, never saw one, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Look for a set of edmonds heads and mill any set you get for .050" piston to head clearance. You'll think you have 10:1.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:32 PM   #16
Fred A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I don't think the 99T was a factory relieved block, never saw one, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Look for a set of edmonds heads and mill any set you get for .050" piston to head clearance. You'll think you have 10:1.
To clarify, the engine in the '40 coupe is the 59A. The other engine that I called a 99A is pre-war with a round center water port in the block like a Merc. It has the raised intake manifold platform like a '41-'42. The valve relief is the center only cut. The bore is 3 5/16" and stroke 3 3/4".

The 59A looks like the best candidate and the other not worthy of mention.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:40 AM   #17
scooder

Fred,
That 99A engine, 3 5/16 bore, Harmon and Collins semi. Add a pair of 59AB heads cut for 0.040" clearance over the pistons and a couple of carbs = nice street engine.
The "ugly Weiand heads" stick um in the post and I'll stick a pair of aluminium stock 81 A heads in the post, and you'll have some pretty heads.
Sorted!
Martin.