Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2014, 06:36 AM   #1
Doctor's Ford

Default horn rod wiring

I am doing the wiring in my 33 model B. There is a horn rod wire that goes inside the steering column all the way up to the steering wheel button. Where is this wire connected to the wheel button above and where is it connected at the headlight plate below the steering box? None of the diagrams show any wires in the column. Do I need to disassemble the steering wheel button? It seems sealed and I don't want to damage it. Thanks as always. Manuel
Doctor's Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:08 AM   #2
Terry,OH

Default Re: horn rod wiring

At the light switch end of the horn rod is a brass plate, the wire inside the rod is soldered to this plate. The brass plate is electrically isolated from the steel rod by a insulator (they often are cracked or broken).
At the horn button side the chrome trim ring has to have it's tabs on the underside straightened out and the ring and the button as well as the spring can be removed exposing the insulator and the brass connector for the wire connection at the button side. Brattons sells a kit with the wire and electrical insulators for the Model A, it works fine for the 33.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
V12Bill

I just fought this fight with my 1939 pickup. The wire in the horn rod needs to be exactly the same length as the distance from the upper brass plate to the lower brass plate. It seems that the spring loaded horn switch will push the wire up the rod and reduce the gap between the brass plate at the top of the wire and the brass under the horn button causing the horn to blow full time. It is like you can put tooth paste back in the tube.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
Doctor's Ford

Thanks TerryOH and V12Bill. That is helpful and getting close to understand how to proceed. I include some pictures of the bottom headlight plate. It has 9 different spots available for a connection. Which one of them is the one to do the soldering to? I also have a brass pin with a spring that fits in the center of the plate. I suspect this is where the horn wire is attached to? and on the other side of the plate the horn wiring continues with the harness. That will lead the wire well isolated. Please confirm. Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Headlight switch plate 1.jpg (33.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Headlight switch plate 2.jpg (32.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Headlight switch plate 3.jpg (26.3 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-15-2014, 02:31 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Looks to me like you have three different positions there. The wiring diagram should help you. The horn would be the center, always connected as the other positions are switch as the lighting control is rotated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead_Electrical_wiring1933.jpg (104.1 KB, 23 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The 4 cylinder is wiring a little differently for some reason. Also posted a photo of what the lighting control would look like with the harness connected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 Cyl 33 ford wiring.jpg (82.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg EARLY%20FORD%20HEADLIGHT%20&%20TAIL%20LIGHT%20WIRING.jpg (40.0 KB, 64 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
V12Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor's Ford View Post
Thanks TerryOH and V12Bill. That is helpful and getting close to understand how to proceed. I include some pictures of the bottom headlight plate. It has 9 different spots available for a connection. Which one of them is the one to do the soldering to? I also have a brass pin with a spring that fits in the center of the plate. I suspect this is where the horn wire is attached to? and on the other side of the plate the horn wiring continues with the harness. That will lead the wire well isolated. Please confirm. Thank you
The center spring loaded contact is the horn contact. I believe your hi/lo beam control is in the center of the steering wheel as my 1939 has a foot dimmer switch. My switch at the bottom of the steering column is the same, only the wiring has been changed slightly.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #8
Doctor's Ford

Excellent information, now I can give a try. Thanks to all for your responses. Manuel