Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-20-2015, 10:17 PM   #1
malpais

Default Colorado title-usual issues

I have been working on a 39 PU. Thought I had a frame with a good ohio title but found #'s don't match.

I have an old Colorado title for the frame # that was signed in the wrong places.

DMV says I need to post a bond (ok by me). They require a certified inspection first, then a title search. (still ok by me).

Catch is the Colorado HP is the only institution that is allowed to do the inspection. They won't inspect a vehicle that is not "road worthy".

So question 1: since I can't get an inspection, and therefore can't get a title search, should I put another 400-500 hrs in this vehicle on the chance it will be ok in the end?

Question 2: The bond must be for 2x the "value". They said talk to a Ford dealer. The dealer said "What ????)". If I finish, value would be higher! I asked the DVM where to get a bond, and they said "a bank". My bank said "What ????".

I may have a heck of a lot of parts for sale. Ain't changing the frame and #'s!

Thanks for any experience!

Gordon
Old 08-20-2015, 11:33 PM   #2
Ross F-1

Default Re: Colorado title-usual issues

Google turned up several Colorado bonding companies, for instance: http://www.suretyone.org/blog/colorado-title-bond/

The typical MVD person has no idea about the locations (nearly inaccessible) on old cars. I would try going to a HP office and finding the guy who does inspections there, explain the situation to him.

You absolutely should NOT spend another dime on the truck until you get it resolved.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:07 AM   #3
expavr

Are there no companies in CO that specialize in registering collector cars? I was involved in a similar situation in CA in that all I had was a bill of sale (no title), took the bill of sale with the vin# on it to a person who handles such transactions and got the vehicle registered and licensed in CA. These folks have the connections that you and I don't. Is it possible to generate a bill of sale that matches the frame number and have the person you bought it from sign it? That might be another way to skin a cat.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:56 AM   #4
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Alter the chassis number to suit the title.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:25 AM   #5
gearhead1952

Some insurance companies will do bonds. I have gone through the process twice here in colorado. The first time I did not need a bond and the vehicle was roadworthy. Got it done. Second was not roadworthy and ended up with a jerk inspector in Golden. Sold that one for parts.
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #6
39topless

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Using the old title that was good except for being signed in the wrong places, can you (or the former owner) just apply for a lost title and start over?
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:34 AM   #7
malpais

Thanks guys. I did Google bonds last night and found some national outfits that will do it, although still waiting for contact.

I could fix #s, though illegal, but I have a title with the number on it - it's just too screwed up to get in my name without bond, inspection, appraisal, etc. May be able to to something with the Ohio title I thought was good.

I looked at some of the title recovery companies - they might be able to help.

One quoted $850, so they will likely be a last resort (and I'm close to needing a last resort).

So issues now remaining:
How do I get an appraisal?
How do I get a HP inspection without it being complete?
Or do I complete it and hope for the best? I'm chicken even thought I know where the truck's been sitting for 25 years.

Always somethin' with these old cars. I'll keep exploring.

Appreciate the input!

Gordon
Old 08-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #8
V12Bill

Could you trailer it to an inspector?
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:09 AM   #9
malpais

Colorado State Patrol says "If vehicle is not roadworthy, you will be rejected". "Lights, sufficient horse power, seats, restraint system, wipers, and all standards of the US Government Department of Transportation" among many other requirements.

There MUST be a way to do something for antique vehicles. They can't require all this for a '39!

Thanks, Gordon
Old 08-21-2015, 10:14 AM   #10
Bob C

The SEMA site has quite a bit of information on registrations, maybe
some of it will help. http://www.semasan.com/semaga/TagTitleToolbox_CO.pdf

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:45 AM   #11
malpais

This is not encouraging......From Broadway Title:

In other cases, it’s not the location of the car, but the type of car that has become difficult to re-title.
“I can’t get the old ‘bags of bones’ titled any more,” Andrews said, referencing the salvage yard escapees and barn finds he once was able to more easily register. “The guy who buys [a rough car] usually wants to get the title before restoring it. NOW IT'S THE OTHER WAY AROUND”.
Indeed, in today’s world, car owners are required to make a car safe and road worthy before a vehicle can be registered.
“Now I have to get a mechanic to inspect it and say it’s road worthy, and an insurance card from the owner.”
- See more at: http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/news/ho....kGtHq9Dc.dpuf
Old 08-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #12
malpais

This is from "Colorado The Official Web Site Portal". Cross links work.
https://www.colorado.gov/apps/dps/mv...ic/results.jsf

Says "not stolen". Would you trust it? If it's valid, I can finish the truck, then title.

Department of Public Safety: 700 Kipling Street, #1000, Denver, CO 80215 | 303-239-4400
Bureau of Investigation: 690 Kipling Street, #3000, Denver, CO 80215 | 303-239-4222

This section provides more information about Instructions Feedback

Motor Vehicle Verification System

Motor Vehicle Verification Report

Time of Query: 08/21/2015; 10:14 AM

This Query Result is for private use only. It is not in compliance with commercial recycler record keeping requirements under Colorado Revised Statute Title 42, Article 4, Part 22. Screen prints or reproductions—hard copy, electronic or otherwise—are not acceptable for verification purposes.

Thanks,

Gordon

Last edited by malpais; 08-21-2015 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Too much info
malpais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:23 PM   #13
rotorwrench

Some states can be difficult. I was from Kansas before I moved to Colorado years back so I could always get a title in KS first. A friend of mine had his motorcycle impounded when he went to get the transfer from Texas to Colorado while he was going to A&P school in Broomfield. He had to get an order of release from the state attorney general since they couldn't prove it was stolen. He got the bike back with that and went straight up to Wyoming so he wouldn't have to deal with it again. They titled it with no problems at all but he had a long commute every day till he finished school.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #14
gearhead1952

Did you investigate "Title in lieu of bond for older vehicles"? Can check out on their website. That was the process I used which has some similar requirements but may work for you.
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:51 PM   #15
ford38v8

Gordon: Check your PMs.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:46 PM   #16
Cecil/WV

Here in WV and in Maryland, if you have contact with the original person whose name is on the title, you can have him order a duplicate title for the price of the title, here it is $10.00 and he can re assign it to you. That is, providing it was a clean title when it left his hand.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:27 PM   #17
39topless

Looks like you picked the wrong state to live in regarding this situation. How about this: "sell" the truck to some one you trust, for $1, who lives in Wyoming. Have that person get a Wyoming title with your bill of sale. The Wyoming DMV may not need to inspect the vehicle. We're talking Wyoming here. Then "buy" the truck back and transfer the Wyoming title to Colorado.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:10 PM   #18
Karl Wolf

If it was in Ca, I would go to the DMV with receipts for all the parts used to construct a vehicle... That YOU put together from swap meet parts.

I got the CHP to do an informal inspection of my frame numbers- just a bare frame- Cause as I said, I'm not going to put a huge amount of effort into a car to have the entire thing confiscated. My frame numbers looked really funky. And, the body bolts over them.
When I got it finally inspected, it was not running. I (would have) told them that I needed to move the car on the street... And, would have to register it to do so.

So, best of luck,
If you have any more problems, send it to Ca., I have found it to be real easy here.

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:27 PM   #19
malpais

Hi, thanks again. I have thought about selling it to someone in an easier state. Have relatives in California. Used to have employees in Wyoming but I'm not working any more. I read somewhere that Maine and Georgia are good too. More research is in order. There really are states that just require bill of sale?

Gordon
Old 08-21-2015, 09:05 PM   #20
ford38v8

Gordon, before you step into that mess, remember that the tough states know about the easy states and do a double take on transfers from those states.