Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #21
Freddie (Memphis)

Default Re: Air filters?

I played with an airmaze type of screen filter deal when I first bought Jippy car as one came on the car. It seemed to run okay with or without it, but I didn't feel the wire maze was much of a filtering agent....I mean, it kept out small rodents, birds, and cuca-rachas but it sure didn't do much for silt-like dust we get around West Tennesee. I had a discussion on the forum relating to this, and received many of the same comments as already posted. "Don't do it...Model A's were designed to run without air filters...it's not the way Henry made it"...and on and on and on...ad nauseum. Still...I wanted to filter the incoming air into the engine in some way.

So I installed one of the cast aluminum 90-degree elbow and paper filter element units from Mike's A-fordable Parts, in Georgia. All this worked well for a time. But, one evening Jippy would barely run...couldn't put my finger on what the issue was, but I knew I had to do something. I removed the small paper element filter and TA-DAAAAAAH....all was better. Jippy ran better, started easier, etc. That's when I noticed the filter has a very strong smell of gasoline. More research revealed the float valve was leaking somewhat, thus soaking the paper element when the car was shut off. I had been closing the GAV and fuel cutoff, but had not been running the float bowl dry. I tried this and although the problem got better, by then the paper element filter was clogged from being wet with gasoline and then having road dust attracted to it. I blew out the filter with an air hose, and it did get a little better...but I was still not happy.

In the interim, I installed the in-tank brass screen, cleaned the sediment bowl and replaced the screen in it, and replaced the fuel shutoff valve. Not knowing any better at the time, I also purchased a rebuilt Zenith-1 carb as well. (Now...I would have just rebuilt the original Z-2 carb...but that's another story) All this seemed to help, but I still noticed a difference when the air filter was installed versus when the carb ran without one installed.

Finally, I read a piece on Model A carburetors here on the internet...Model-A Org, the Carburetor Site...and he mentioned a larger paper element would better support the air flow requirements, and would work longer as it could hold more dirt than a smaller filter. So, after some local searching for a larger element, one shop pointed me in the direction of a small engine repair shop since the filter looked like it was for a piece of lawn equipment. I took the paper element I had in to them and asked if they had anything that might be larger (longer) than that, but about the same diameter. After a quick match-up-the-parts excercise, we found one that was about 12" long, and virtually the same diameter as the paper element from Mikes. I purchased and installed it and have been very pleased with the results. There is virtually no difference in running the car with, or without the new longer paper element whatsoever. I had to purchase some all-thread rod, and a couple of lock nuts to keep the longer support rod from vibrating loose and the whole mess from taking a hasty exit out the bottom of the engine bay, but oveall I'd guess I spent less than $20 on the whole modification, and $14 was the filter. I also had to punch a small hole in the blue foam to pass the all-thread rod through.

I saved the box end flap the filter I used came in for future reference. I think it was a Kohler filter. Although I don't have it with me right now, if anyone's interested, I'll post the manufacturer and part number. Just let me know...

Hope this helps someone...

I'm still doin' the rhumba, Baby...I just can't seem to quit. If momma catches us doin' the rhumba....momma would just pitch a fit. I can't help myself....it's much bigger than me. If I were you I'd hang on to a rhumba man like me...!
Freddie (Memphis) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #22
Jim/GA

I was looking at an old Air Maze style filter today (the one with the metal screen) that I had in a box of old parts. It has a small instruction plate on it which says to clean screen with solvent, steam or hot water; dry; spray or soak in 20W to 40W oil before reinstalling. I don't recall seeing those instructions before.

I'd say the plain metal mesh is not that great of a filter if dry (keep out the big stuff only), but with the oil coating it sounds like it would be a pretty good air filter. Of course you have to clean and re-oil pretty often. Not a whole lot different from the K&N filter except a bit smaller perhaps.

I would expect to have a problem if you try to use a paper filter element that is the same length as these original metal screens, because you'd end up with a lot of restriction, especially if the paper gets wet with fuel or water, or when it gets dirty (as it did for you).
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #23
raprice

I use an Air Maze filter with the mesh screen. I won't use the paper filter because I'm concerned about fire. The mesh filter works great.
Rog
raprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #24
rob mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry in Shasta View Post
I agree with Jack. I have run air filters for many years. I think the trick is to use a oversize filter. Some thing for a big V/8. I don't want all that dust and dirt in my engine from driving down my dirt road, and drive way!

The attached is what I've use for a number of years.

I've run the car with a Tac., with and without the filter and there is no change in RPM's, I.E. idle, pulling the same hill, etc. Fuel mileage down not seem to have changed.

For me I think there is less fire hazard. The back fire flame will be contained with in the filter and filter "plumbing" and will quickly extinguish it's self due the the lack of oxygen, which it has all ready burned.

Just My W.A.G. at the question
JB
Jerry on Shasta has a photo of both an air filter and an oil filter. This is the way to take care of the large investment in your Model A. It is easy to install an air filter with two common filters stacked or and number of larger capacity filters. Any number of photos are available on this forum. What ever your view, keeping grit out of you costly engine will greatly extent the life of a well cared for INVESTMENT.

Jerry also has an oil filter and this with detergent oil is in my opinion the correct way to go. I installed my first filter in 2005. I first cleaned the pan and the 3 valve area reservoirs very carfully and put in new oil and ran my A for fifty miles locally. The next week I drove five miles and pulled the filter. I cut the oil filter open and was suprise how much visible dirt and grit was trapped in the filter media. I change the oil and filter and ran another 120 miles and checked the filter again. This time the filter was very much cleaner but showed alot of fine particles that had been removed from the motor. I will always have both air & oil and filters on my Model A protecting my investment. I am should I will stir up an argument from those who have driven the A 50,000 miles with out air or oil filters and thats Ok. Everone has their opinion which I respect but I have an investment to protect. Whose motor would you want to buy?
rob mcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:13 PM   #25
gilitos

Mr Tube; you make a very good point and I've been thinking about it. Machines like you mention have to operate under all conditions for long times with little/no maintenance (i.e. oil changes). I operate my A almost exclusively on paved (and relatively clean) roads, I change the oil very frequently, and I don't put more than a few thousand miles a year on it. So I figure I'm probably OK. Especially when you notice some of the other recent posts about original motors with 50,000+ miles without a rebuild that are still tight. And the Air Maze isn't very good unless modified for a big paper element, something I haven't gotten around to doing yet. Your comments are appreciated.

Giles in Cincinnati
gilitos is offline   Reply With Quote