Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-19-2017, 07:33 PM   #1
GasWorksGarage

Default F1 Question

I am working on a 49 F1 226 L6 it will not start has fuel spark. I ran a compression test highest cylinder 32 lbs lowest 5 lbs. WTH? What should it be?

Thanks in advance.
GasWorksGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: F1 Question

You need to do a leak down test.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
GasWorksGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
You need to do a leak down test.

Bob
how is that done? I put oil in each cylinder and retried with no increase in pressure.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #4
tubman

With those compression figures (especially after oil in the cylinders), your chance of getting it started are mighty slim. I don't know the factory compression on a 6, but it's got to be close to the 110 lbs spec'd for the V8's. They will run OK at anything over 65, but below 50 and you've probably got real problems inside. The only chance you may have is if all of the valves are stuck. If that's the case, you might get lucky if you can get 'em freed up. I've never been that fortunate.

Also, I hate to contradict anyone, but I think it's a little too late for a leakdown test.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:30 PM   #5
jboren

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasWorksGarage View Post
I am working on a 49 F1 226 L6 it will not start has fuel spark. I ran a compression test highest cylinder 32 lbs lowest 5 lbs. WTH? What should it be?

Thanks in advance.
In "new" condition the 226 will run 110 to 120 PSI. I suspect this one has been sitting for some time and the rings are stuck. You can try some ATF in all the cylinders and let it soak for a week or so. Turn it over by hand every couple of days working it backward and forward. Also check for stuck valves which you should be able to see through the spark plug holes. You are not likely going to get it started with the pressures you are currently showing (at least with the starter) If the pressures come up quite a bit after soaking you might get it started. The other trick you can try is to pull start it. If you manage to get it started the compression tests will likely yield much better results after it runs for a bit and gets hot and things get loosened up a bit.

Jimmy
jboren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:03 PM   #6
Bob C

How to do a leak down test. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/cylin...akdown-tester/

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:26 PM   #7
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
With those compression figures (especially after oil in the cylinders), your chance of getting it started are mighty slim. I don't know the factory compression on a 6, but it's got to be close to the 110 lbs spec'd for the V8's. They will run OK at anything over 65, but below 50 and you've probably got real problems inside. The only chance you may have is if all of the valves are stuck. If that's the case, you might get lucky if you can get 'em freed up. I've never been that fortunate.

Also, I hate to contradict anyone, but I think it's a little too late for a leakdown test.
I think you're right! easily verified by watching the valves thru the spark plug holes.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:37 PM   #8
alanwoodieman

usually if you get no compression in a cylinder that has a stuck valve --you can tell if it is intake or exhaust by listening in the carb/exhaust as you blow air into the cylinder, also if no valve is stuck in that cylinder it will push the piston down. do that in all the cylinders. my advice is to put 50/50 atf and acetone in the cylinders--work real good at loosening carbon gunk on the rings and valves
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #9
GasWorksGarage

Thanks all. I brought my compression tester in a older craftsman back when they made good tools. Here are the results. I number cylinders front to back not by firing order.

1st with oil added

#1 45lb 60lb

#2 55lb 65lb

#3 50lb 60lb

#4 28lb 45lb

#5 22lb 25lb

#6 30lb 32lb

what I was told about truck. it ran 8 months ago. I so no. The gas in tank was so putrid
had to be several years old. How much should I put in each cylinder? What about mystery oil?
Old 01-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #10
GasWorksGarage

also I used a inspection camera and looked into each cylinder while cranking. everything moves freely no stuck valves.