Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-24-2023, 07:11 PM   #1
Joeyv

Default Mechanical Brakes - Cross Shaft Replacement

I was working on adjusting the mechanical brakes on my 36 and found one of the bushings on the cross shaft had deteriorated (totally gone) and the shaft had a lot of slop in it. Fortunately I had a cross shaft on the shelf that I bought from a friend and that shaft was in good condition. I was able to get the old cross shaft out and the replacement shaft in. Both the out and in processes were a real PITA. I loosened the radius rod ball to get a little extra space to work. The process I used to get the new cross shaft return spring was pretty Neanderthal, in my opinion. I used a doubled piece of rebar tie-wire with a loop made on each end. The small loop to pass over the front of the cross shaft and loop over the return spring, and a larger loop to fit over a crow bar, which I used for leverage. I braced flat end of the crowbar in one of the holes in the frame and pushed on the curved end of the crow bar to pull the spring over the cross shaft and hook onto the top pin of the cross shaft. It was not easy. I started out trying to use a screwdriver a single strand wire to pull the spring through. I couldn’t do it, I was not strong enough. I tried using a much larger screwdriver and I still was not strong enough. I “upgraded” to the crow bar and the wire snapped. The double wire and the crow bar did the trick, along with a lot of grunting and snorting on my part. While going through this process I kept thinking there must be a much easier way to do this. Unfortunately my best old Ford lifeline friend that I would call for guidance passed away and others I spoke to either gave up on mechanical brakes and went hydraulic, or never had to swap out the cross shaft. Doing this the way I did would have been easier when I was 50 years younger. I hope I don’t have swap out the cross shaft again any time soon, but if I do, I have a couple of questions.
The obvious question: what is the easiest way to pull out and put in the cross shaft? Should I have pulled the front wishbone?
How does someone with experience pull through and re-attach the spring?
Is there a source for bushing the cross shaft?
As always, I appreciate the advice given here on the Ford Barn.
Thanks
Joeyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 10:33 PM   #2
cas3

Default Re: Mechanical Brakes - Cross Shaft Replacement

Hmmm, isn't it just 4 bolts to remove the whole unit where it bolts to the center of the X member and replace bushings on the work bench where its easy to deal with?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 11:43 PM   #3
Brian

to re-attach the spring I simply bend a bit of 1/16" welding wire into a loop, hook the loop into the hook on the spring, grip the other ends of the wire with a pair of vice grips, which gives an easy to grasp 'handle' with which to pull the spring forward and hook over the clevis pin.
Old 08-25-2023, 12:34 AM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

Joey, it's a good thing that you found that bushing problem with the cross shaft and replaced it with one in better condition. If you ever hope to get that mechanical braking system adjusted and working properly, you really need to go completely through all moving parts and assemblies in the system and repair or replace everything that's worn, and I mean everything if you ever want those brakes to be as good as they can be. It took me awhile to get there on my '35 fordor sedan (avatar) but once i got all the worn items taken care of and added floaters/equalizers at all four wheels, those mechanical brakes work very well.

As far as replacing the cross shaft, it's not that tough of a job if you have a lift to work under, clean all the built up crud on and around the cross shaft, pull the wishbone assembly down and out of your way, and block it with some 2x pieces of wood to keep it down. Then it becomes a pretty simple chore of removing four bolts to get the assembly completely out.

On the center of cross member brake return spring, that can be a bear as you described, or it can be pretty easy and straight forward. After I struggled the first time replacing that spring, I came up with a method that makes the job a lot easier. I use a piece of 1/16" to 1/8" diameter aircraft cable about 3ft long, and connect the ends together with a very small cable clamp. Then using a small come-along or a small ratchet strap, I hook that loop of aircraft wire to the looped end of the spring and the other end on the come-along cable hook, and pull that spring right into place. Then slowly release the come-long, remove the small cable clamp holding the ends of the aircraft cable together, and pull the aircraft wire completel out. Hook up the brake rods, adjust the the brakes to fine settings and go for a ride. You will need to adjust things at least several more times until there's plenty of pedal and the vehicle does not pull hard to the left or right when the pedal is pushed down hard.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 08-25-2023 at 12:50 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 03:51 PM   #5
Joeyv

Thanks for the suggestions. All good. I will make note of them for next time. I didn’t know if I pull the wishbone down and blocked that it that I wouldn’t be causing some problems. Good to know I can do that. I like the idea of a come-along, since I seemed to lack the strength to simply pull the spring through the top of the cross shaft. I’ll be buying one to have on hand.I very much appreciate all the advice. Thanks!
Joeyv is offline   Reply With Quote