Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
Bored&Stroked

Default Ahhh - Good day today, dug out some 21A rods for a stroker Ardun

I was finally warm today in Columbus . . . about 60 degrees. I've been working like a dog for about a month straight. Decided to take the day off and bring some parts to the machine shop for a original Ardun that I'm building. Like alot of flathead wackos - I have lots of parts squirreled away.

So I dug into my stack of 21A/91A rods, looking for a special set. Ahhhh - found them! A set that I bought new and had Joe Reath setup for me about 35 years ago -- used them in a blown flatty. They've been waiting for something special for about 30 years.

Just cleaning the grease off of them - holding them in my hands, like old friends - made me happy (I know, a bit sentimental about my old parts ).

I pondered doing the 'modern thing' and putting a set of damn H-Beams in the motor . . . but my conscience got the better of me. Hell, this is a 284 cube Ardun - Yes . . . it will be a bit snotty, probably have a bigger cam than it needs, will have four 97's on an original log manifold . . . but shit, it is a period dang motor!

These damn 21A rods and a nice set of full-floater cad-silver bearings should do just fine. Plus, I like having a light weight lower-end . . . revs up nice, "rattles" with compression and a big cam, etc.. And like Ole' Ron and I have chatted about --- 'loose' is better, will have .002 rod clearance, .0025 main clearance, .015 side clearance and lots of oil. That is the way these dang motor are meant to be built.

Felt good to be putting Henry's old parts back to work - instead of succumbing to buying another set of rods from frigging China.

Whomever ends up with this engine will know that every darn piece of it is exactly the way it was done 50+ years ago -- and done well. It will make horsepower, sound wonderful and be terribly reliable . . . just exactly as it should be. And - not a part will be newer than about 1953 (other than rings, valves and main bearings).

I'll post some pictures when I start getting enough parts back from the machine shops to be worth the work.

If anybody is interested in what it takes to build a true traditional Ardun, let me know - maybe I'll do an article on FordBarn.

B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Ahhh - Good day today, dug out some 21A rods for a stroker Ardun

That is super cool. I personally would love you to do an article on putting together an Ardun - with plenty of photos. It will be cool to compare the old articles by Cotten Werksman and Tom Senter that I have. WOOF, WOOF! You lucky dog.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
Bored&Stroked

Here are some pictures of the heads in process . . .

They were completely mint in the chambers, seats, etc.. Really don't look like they were ever actually ran, but somebody milled them for compression and then started to do "custom exhaust port work" . . . bad idea, didn't know what the hell they were doing. Thank gosh I ended up with them before somebody made a real mess out of their fine tig welding work . All the exhaust ports were re-worked, the decks and now I've redone all the ports. Ardun heads flow pretty well stock, I've just done some tricks to improve the short-side radius and other aspects of the ports.

I've made all the exhaust valves - cutting down 1.5 Manley Pro-flow valves and had Victory custom make my intakes.

I made all new guides from generic valve guide blanks - will have PC seals, etc.. Lots of brass chips!

DSC00717.jpg

DSC00718.jpg

Lots of detailed work and attention to detail -- is what it takes to bring back the past.

I'll start with how they looked when I received them:

Originals-AsPurchased.jpg

BareHead_StartingPoint copy.jpg

Okay - now we're reworking the heck out of them . . .

ExhaustPort copy.jpg

ChamberComplete.jpg

All done . . .

OneHeadCompletePorting.jpg

BothHeads-PortingComplete copy.jpg

I've spent about 40 - 60 hours of porting and finish work on these heads . . . seems like a lot, but once you get started you have to do them justice. I wish these heads could talk to me - tell me their past . . . I bet they'd have something to say!

Can't wait to see them on an engine -- doing a bit of 'barking' as they should!

B&S
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ArdunExhaustPort.jpg (31.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Originals-rough-shape.jpg (69.0 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 02-17-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
That is super cool. I personally would love you to do an article on putting together an Ardun - with plenty of photos. It will be cool to compare the old articles by Cotten Werksman and Tom Senter that I have. WOOF, WOOF! You lucky dog.
Is a funny thing - I have just about every article and publication made on Arduns - including as set of original blueprints. I've talked to many of those that we consider the 'masters' of these engine . . . yet there are still so many myths, inaccuracies, etc.. I've learned, you can't 100% believe ANY of it - you must do your homework, apply sound engine design logic and figure it out.

In all the conversations I've had, about 50% is accurate as far as facts that you can build from. From the dimensions quoted --> valve heights, valve spring lengths, geometry, etc -- much of it isn't factual or maybe has been forgotten over time. All of these guys have really done everything they can to help -- it is just that the facts are in most cases many years old, memories aren't as clear and potentially the details may not have been known even at the time they built these engines. Most of them built them to race -- if they went fast . . . must have been the right 'combination'.

I've kind of come to the conclusion that you MUST find out the details of your specific set of heads, your engine, your geometry, your combination -- never trusting what somebody else may or may not have done. If you just accept the stories and printings as gospel, you're going to make some big mistakes in your build
Old 02-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Is a funny thing - I have just about every article and publication made on Arduns - including as set of original blueprints. I've talked to many of those that we consider the 'masters' of these engine . . . yet there are still so many myths, inaccuracies, etc.. I've learned, you can't 100% believe ANY of it - you must do your homework, apply sound engine design logic and figure it out.

In all the conversations I've had, about 50% is accurate as far as facts that you can build from. From the dimensions quoted --> valve heights, valve spring lengths, geometry, etc -- much of it isn't factual or maybe has been forgotten over time. All of these guys have really done everything they can to help -- it is just that the facts are in most cases many years old, memories aren't as clear and potentially the details may not have been known even at the time they built these engines. Most of them built them to race -- if they went fast . . . must have been the right 'combination'.

I've kind of come to the conclusion that you MUST find out the details of your specific set of heads, your engine, your geometry, your combination -- never trusting what somebody else may or may not have done. If you just accept the stories and printings as gospel, you're going to make some big mistakes in your build
"Each of us walks a special path, but those who "step up" and break a new trail stand a better chance of being on the cutting edge of ARDUN history."
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
"Each of us walks a special path, but those who "step up" and break a new trail stand a better chance of being on the cutting edge of ARDUN history."
Yeah - I think that is the hope . . . knowledge is key to just about everything is hotrodding.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
blown49

Sounds great Dale......keep us updated when you can.

Jim
Old 02-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
IVT1

nice looking bit of machine work you got there
Old 03-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #9
itslow

How did I miss this when it was new? Any updates in the past couple of weeks?

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
stromberg81

What a great piece of History..They also look great..
Duane.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #11
Ardun

Just bought an original set of ARDUN Heads and so the journey begins..

Tom
Ardun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
Ol' Ron

Thanks, you've mad my day.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #13
Pete

This is an old thread. I just can't picture Dale having even 10 seconds for this project right now what with the flat Cad.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:47 AM   #14
40 Deluxe

So what happened with these heads? Are they on a running engine? Any video or even just a sound track?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #15
Ardun

Just started building my Ardun 8BA, head #167 & 168. All suggestions weclome!

Tom
Ardun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #16
woodypecker

Ardun show some pictures till bored and stroked has some time.
woodypecker is offline   Reply With Quote