Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #1
52merc

Default fuel sending unit

can the fuel sending units be pulled apart ? has anyone done this thanks trev
52merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
ford1

Default Re: fuel sending unit

ok trev, what do you mean pulled apart, what are you trying to do?
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52merc View Post
can the fuel sending units be pulled apart ? has anyone done this thanks trev
Yes, I have taken mine apart. Use a traditional brake adjusting tool - the one that is bent on each end and the tip looks like a plain screwdriver. Insert tool under the lip of the top lid on the unit and gently pry upward a little at a time as you move around the perimeter. The lid will lift up quite easily. Inside you will see a bimetallic strip that works in conjunction with the gas guage, etc , a carbon resistor and an adjusting "Star" wheel. You can adjust the star wheel , but be very careful not to break anything. It's all very delicate. Gently reassemble by pressing lid down and try. DON'T HAMMER ANYTHING. JUST PRESS DOWNWARD WITH THE END OF THE HAMMER HANDLE WHILE SUPPORTING THE UNIT IN A VISE WITHOUT SQUEEZING ANYTHING. I found that the carbon resistor sometimes comes loose causing malfunction. I wonder if it would be possible to replace this resistor with a modern style. Let us know what you discover and if you fixed your sending unit.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
52merc

well im about to try hell theres not much edge to pry it apart fourdy there really thin on the outer edge can you fix the carbon thing if its loose
Old 01-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
19Fordy

Quote:
well im about to try hell theres not much edge to pry it apart fourdy there really thin on the outer edge can you fix the carbon thing if its loose
Yes. As I recall resistor is held in place by a "springy" strip of metal at each end. You can bend the metal strips but they break easily. Also the resistor is color coded so maybe you can decipher the ohms rating. Or check it with an ohm meter. I never saw a real carbon resistor before. Suggest you take photos after you remove the lid. If you adjust the little star wheel, be sure and remember its original adjustment location in case you have to move it back to its original position. Also mark the lid and the unit so that the lid goes back on in its original position. If you can, take photos of what you do and post them for the world to see.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
52merc

thanks mate i will go and delve into the mystry of the inside of a fuel unit ,did you ajust the star if so which way to go ,,,clock wise ??
Old 01-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
52merc

got it apart theres a fine wire that wraps around a arm which seems to have a stop on it which i assume ajusts when you move the star which has a gradual slide on it but which way to move star which is real hard to move thanks fourdy trev
Old 01-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
19Fordy

Quote:
got it apart theres a fine wire that wraps around a arm which seems to have a stop on it which i assume ajusts when you move the star which has a gradual slide on it but which way to move star which is real hard to move thanks fourdy trev
Yes, the star wheel is very tight and hard to move. I think I used the point of an awl. Also can't recall if I had to remove something else in order to access the star wheel. I forgot which way to move the star wheel but I did move it in both directions to see if it affected anything. I think that star wheel "fine tunes" the resistor or adjusts the distance between the bi-metallic strip. It is an amazing to see "state of the art electronics" back in the old days. i think ford used this set up right up until 12 V. units arrived. Sorry, I forgot so much, but the bottom line is I did get the unit to work again. Pictures, please.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
52merc

Thumbs up Re: fuel sending unit

wait till ive finished playing
Old 01-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #10
TK in LA

There is a hole next to the wheel. Put a nail or something the right size into it and you can use a small screw driver against it to move the wheel. Like 19Fordy I don't remember which way did what. I think I had to pull the cap several times to get the dash needle in the right orientation. Your experience may differ? My 2¢
TK in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #11
52merc

thanks tk
Old 02-23-2011, 04:08 AM   #12
fullmetal

Quote:
can the ford fuel sending unit be pulled apart? has anyone done this thanks trev
Proud to say that i have done it in less than 1 hour. For future reference i will just post something that i know. Anyway these are very basic these are the tools that i used for my ford fuel sending unit removal.
  • flat head screwdriver
  • Phillips head screwdriver
  • hammer
  • open end wrenches
  • replacement fuel tank sending unit

Last edited by fullmetal; 02-24-2011 at 07:04 PM.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote