Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2023, 09:01 AM   #1
Indomwe

Default 1961 ford power steering install

I am trying to install Borgeson power steering on my 61 fairlane with column shift. Apparently there is a modification to the bottom of the column and column shifter linkage that can be done to allow the installation of the rag joint. I am looking for advice on how what needs to be done

Thanks
Nick
Indomwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 06:00 PM   #2
miker98038

Default Re: 1961 ford power steering install

Since I don’t know how the 61 steering is laid out, I’m not sure I understand the question. On earlier cars (with the 1 piece shaft from the box to the wheel), you’d be cutting the jacket, cutting the shaft and fitting a bearing at the bottom of the jacket for support, then using probably DD fittings to convert to the spline necessary for the rag joint. Maybe a short section of shaft also. Most of those parts would be available if not from Borgenson from Ididit or Flaming River. Then a floorboard mount to stabilize the jacket going thru the floor/toe board.

This close, or am I completely off base?
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 01:20 AM   #3
Indomwe

The 61 standard column with Column shifter has to be modified to fit a rag joint. Between the borgeson power steering box there is only 1.5 inches to the shift linkage and with the rag joint we need about 3 inches. According to borgeson there is a modification that can be done and another guy on the HAMb has done this but I have not been able to find out exactly how this modification is done. I am wondering if anyone else on ford barn has experience and can help
Old 09-28-2023, 06:27 AM   #4
Dave V

I was just researched the same issue recently for my 56 and discovered that the rag joint is not necessary. Can't remember which vendor I found has a coupler which joins the Borgeson box to the steering shaft keeping it inside of the column and allowing your column shifter
Dave V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 06:31 AM   #5
Indomwe

Yeah I have a coupler but the alignment with no movement that the rag joint allows has the steering box squealing like crazy.only way I know how to fix it is somehow get a rag joint installed ?? I am sort of stuck right now ��
Old 09-28-2023, 08:13 AM   #6
cos

Maybe go over to 1957 ford forum, there is info on this. Steering box should not squeal, rag joint probably would not cure problem. Thinking flexible joints helps with vibration mostly and are safer. Cos
cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 07:18 PM   #7
miker98038

Did you really have to reef the column back in place after you put the coupler in? I’m not an operating engineer or anything with tons of hydraulic experience, but squealing on pump and tractor hydraulics has always been air in the system, or the rpm set too low on the PTO causing a pressure problem. Mostly air.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 11:22 PM   #8
fordor41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indomwe View Post
The 61 standard column with Column shifter has to be modified to fit a rag joint. Between the borgeson power steering box there is only 1.5 inches to the shift linkage and with the rag joint we need about 3 inches. According to borgeson there is a modification that can be done and another guy on the HAMb has done this but I have not been able to find out exactly how this modification is done. I am wondering if anyone else on ford barn has experience and can help

same problem I have with my '60. If you shorten the column enough to install a rag joint, the shifter shaft and linkage and NSS if you have a column mounted switch, will have to be moved up an equal am't. May turn into a can of worms.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 01:19 AM   #9
KULTULZ

Red face Re: 1961 ford power steering install

I hesitate to do this, but ...

https://www.borgeson.com/steering-sy...esign-and-tech

... there, I have done it. I feel so cheap and tawdry. I need a shower ...

- AT MY AGE, ONE APPRECIATES A STURDY HANDRAIL -
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote