Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
Gumpy

Arrow Drakes 40 coupe old vs new?

If you have seen Drake's brochure for the new 40 coupe whats

your opinion of it?
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
hotcoupe

Default Re: Drakes 40 coupe old vs new?

i saw the car [what was completed at that time] at the L.A.Roadster Show and it looked good. but the problem that i see is that the stamped sheet metal `40 parts that i have ordered from him in the past [headlight buckets and fender braces] were flimsy. i believe the material they were stamped from was a significantly different alloy than what hank used. everything [stamped sheet metal parts] that i bought from Drake was shipped back to him. jmho
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
okiedokie

I have not seen the new 40 in person. I just happen to be ready to install headlight buckets. I have the original assemblies, which I intended to restore and use. However, at the local swap meet last year I found a bunch of Drake parts that were new and unused for a great price. Guy had backed out of a 40 build. In that purchase were two new repo headlight buckets. I just pulled the originals out for comparison, as far as I can tell they are the same thickness of metal. I see nothing "flimsy" about the repro's.
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
Coupe35

If the bodies are anything like his 34 running boards, watch out. Will not fit.
Coupe35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:35 AM   #5
barryfromvictoria

i saw the 40 at the l.a. show and hershey. not much more done in the 4 mo.s between shows. very impressive though. the body was all mocked up but not welded together. the detail on the floor pans and body panels is closer to original than anything on the market today or yesterday. now if it all fits together properly, [fitting a body together effiently is no small feat either] he will have a real winner. if it doesn`t we will have lots of good parts to restore the original bodys. either way the 40 enthusiast will win
barryfromvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
sturgis 39

Will a stock frame be manufactured? I would be interested if I could purchase a stock frame with the body. Has there been an estimate of the price? I like the 39 deluxe and the forty standard but would settle for a 40 deluxe.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
jsemple6392

I also saw the '40 body at Hershey. It is quite a feat of engineering to say the least. I would love to own one! I would not worry about the metal. Bob drake pays better attention to detail and workmanship than most in the business. He would not put his name on it if it were made of inferior metal.
Just wish I could afford one...
jsemple6392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #8
V8 Bob

I bought a '40 lower rear repair panel from Bob Drake for my coupe about 20 years ago. I temporarily "clecoed" it in place but never finished the install as the car became "dormant". The panel fit the trunk good, but not the fenders.

This last year I bought the new panel B.D. had on sale. It is heavier gauge, with better detail, and fit the fenders great, but not the trunk. The car was in a body shop having the fenders straightened, and I asked which panel they would use. They chose the new panel, even though they had to reform the recess to match my trunk. They liked the detail and strength of the new panel, and blamed some of the fit problems on the fact my trunk lid had been hit/damaged years ago, and although visually repaired, could be slightly out of spec.

My point is if the new '40 body is of the same quality as the repair panel, it should be very nice! I have purchased a lot of parts from B.D. over the last 30 years, and know for a fact his parts are the best, for the most part, than anything else on the market.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #9
boman5

read it again Tom! it says "they're NOT crude, hand fabricated sheet metal that's thinner than the originals.
boman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
Gumpy

btt
Old 01-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #11
shoeboxer

I love drake. However, when we toured their facility most of the manufacturing was moving to China. Can anyone verify that the 40's are being produced in the U.S. Because the Chinese production could be the factor leading to the "Thinner material."
shoeboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:25 PM   #12
Gumpy

anyone assembled a drake coupe?
Old 06-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

I've seen the brochure and his display at Hershey and at the EFV8C/A 2010 WNM in St. George, Utah. All looked good to me. I have to wonder if it was not for Bob Drake who else in today's economy would have taken on a project of this scope and magnitude? If you have any specific questions regarding this project you could always send a pm or email to him since he is a registered Ford Barn member.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #14
Coupe35

I too agree that the drake 34 boards do not fit. The arc is way off. Did not fit the frame. Other then not fitting they look nice.
Coupe35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #15
oldford

HIs 34 boards did not fit my frame either. I do not get it. Isn't it just as easy to make something right as to make it wrong. Why go to all the expense of making running boards when You plan on not making them correct.
oldford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #16
Kube

[QUOTE=jsemple6392;137612] ... He would not put his name on it if it were made of inferior metal.
Really? Must be a different Bob than the one I am thinking about. The one I am thinking about is #1, motivated by profit and #2 motivated by profit.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:56 AM   #17
barryfromvictoria

gumpy--- i`m going to the l.a. roadster show this week. will give a up to date report on drakes progress on the 40 coupe.
barryfromvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #18
Gumpy

ok---please pm me Barry if you find out anything new....maybe a few photo's if you have time.....thanks Gump
Old 06-14-2011, 01:20 AM   #19
V8COOPMAN

[QUOTE=Kube;222854]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsemple6392 View Post
... He would not put his name on it if it were made of inferior metal.
Really? Must be a different Bob than the one I am thinking about. The one I am thinking about is #1, motivated by profit and #2 motivated by profit.
KUBE kinda has a way with words, doesn't he? One thing for sure, maybe... I THINK I know how he feels about "THE Bob". DD
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #20
Gumpy

btt