Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2017, 12:31 PM   #1
Penthode

Default Inner Tube Valve Stems

Hi There,

I am new to this forum. I have acquired a '29 Tudor which had sat for some 20 years. It needed a few months to bring it to mechanical order and now is providing enjoyment on the road.

As with any car bringing it to a better degree of reliability on the road, I have a question about inner tubes. I had a flat tire last week due to a chaffed rubber valve stem. The stem had rubbed and cracked and sprung a slow leak. I examined the other tires and saw the same. I examined the rims and removed the tires and tubes to find a smooth hole without any sharp edges.

My question to forum members is preference between rubber and metal valve stems. I see Brattons offers tubes with metal stems. They also offer valve stem replace ments for rubber stems on used tubes.

Do any of you have thoughts or preferences on rubber vs metal valve stems?
Penthode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #2
hardtimes

Default Re: Inner Tube Valve Stems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
Hi There,

I am new to this forum. I have acquired a '29 Tudor which had sat for some 20 years. It needed a few months to bring it to mechanical order and now is providing enjoyment on the road.

As with any car bringing it to a better degree of reliability on the road, I have a question about inner tubes. I had a flat tire last week due to a chaffed rubber valve stem. The stem had rubbed and cracked and sprung a slow leak. I examined the other tires and saw the same. I examined the rims and removed the tires and tubes to find a smooth hole without any sharp edges.

My question to forum members is preference between rubber and metal valve stems. I see Brattons offers tubes with metal stems. They also offer valve stem replace ments for rubber stems on used tubes.

Do any of you have thoughts or preferences on rubber vs metal valve stems?
The hole may look ok to your eyes, but obviously is not ok to the rubber stem. This condition is not unusual with antique rims chaffing tube stems.
There is a simple/inexpensive 'fix'. Coker makes a stem protector that you place over the stem...prior to poking it thru the rim. Has worked on my rims for a decade with no flats. You can also spend a lot of time/money and have metal stems installed. Choice is good.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:42 PM   #3
veggie

Send a message via AIM to veggie Send a message via Yahoo to veggie

Metal stems are the best. (BUT PRICEY)
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:08 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Metal stems give the car that original finished look, besides adding a touch of class.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #5
mack4759

We have experienced the same thing you did, twice in one year. But I agree with Tom. The metal valve stems are more accurate if you care about the look of originality. With a 30-31 car the longer metal valve stems make it more difficult to fill your tires with modern air hoses, but you have a 28-29 with the larger rims so that won't be as much of an issue. If you are going to participate in any fine point judging you will need them. As mentioned they are pricey, but will eliminate the roadside tire changing. I have never tried the inserts, however. They may be the way to go if you are on a tight budget.
mack4759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:39 PM   #6
Synchro909

The wear around the valve stem may not have anything to do with roughness around the hole. Dirt and grit find their way in around a loose valve stem and over time, that will create a hole, especially with those long stems. They wobble about as you drive and let the grit do its worst. The valve stem collars work well and I have been known to put a little black silicone between the collar and the valve stem so no rubbish can get in there - ever! A little silicone between the collar and the rim will stop water entering too. Ever noticed how most rims have more rust near the valve than anywhere else?
Old 08-06-2017, 03:20 AM   #7
johnbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
... have been known to put a little black silicone between the collar and the valve stem so no rubbish can get in there - ever! A little silicone between the collar and the rim will stop water entering too. ..
Great idea!...It's one of those "Why didin't I think of that!"... Thanks
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote