Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
supergnat

Default Gas tank clean and seal cost?

I have developed a small leak around my fuel gauge and figure I should just pull the entire tank and have it cleaned and sealed while I am repairing the gauge leak. The only place I can find in my area (NJ next to Phila, PA) said it would cost about $250-$300 to have the tank cleaned and sealed. Is this what I should expect to pay or should I just keep looking? I would prefer to keep my original tank if possible since it original to the car (10-2-28).

Thanks for your advise
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Gas tank clean and seal cost?

do you have a rust and debris problem inside your tank?? pulling the tank is a much larger job than fixing the gauge leak.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
Aerocraft

I wouldn't pull the tank just for a repair to the gas guage. The guage is generally easy to reseal. There is a good explanation of the repair in Les Andrews maintenance book. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
supergnat

I have found evidence of fine rust powder accumulating in the sediment bowl screen and carburetor strainer although I have not experienced any problems yet. My concern is that when I fix the gauge leak I may dislodge more rust in the process. I do have the Les Andrews book and also the article in the Jan/Feb 2011 Restorer to reference. I think I can handle the removal.

Would you recommend just repairing the gauge leak and see what else happens?

Thanks
Old 06-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
Aerocraft

If it was mine, that is what I would do. Look up some of the threads on tank repair and you will find that it is doubtful that the tank can be cleaned completely. Removing the tank from your Briggs Fordor is a laborious job. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

you wont disturb anything in the tank fixing the gauge. i would make sure you have the pencil screen in the top of the shut off valve, they are very important. i wouldnt touch the tank. also consider changing the float to a neoprene one while your there and use cork gaskets at the guage. also disconnect the battery first
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
theHIGHLANDER

If you're dead set on cleaning/sealing your tank, DIY. The stuff Bill Hirsch sells for ethanol gas resistance has been good so far in the three tanks I can speak about. It's only been 3-4 years, but so far, so good. All in, maybe $40 outta pocket and the priceless satisfaction that it wasn't done by someone who had a "bad day". Just sayin...
theHIGHLANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
PetesPonies

These tanks are small enough that you could easily do the clean and seal. Buy some phosphoric acid from Home Depot.Its about $15 a gallon. Get several. Block off the tank and pour in the acid. Throw some nuts in as well, large ones. You need to agitate it. This will get the nuts moving around and breaking loose rust away from the tank. Tilt the tank and let it sit for 1/2 day or so, then tilt another way and let it sit. Leave the acid in for 3 or 4 days, moving it around and shaking when you can. After the 4 days, pour it all out. Normally I do not do this with phosphoric acid, but I would rinse it with water. Rinse a few times and blow air in it to dry it up as quickly as possible. Then buy some Master Series. Pour the MS in the tank and again tilt tank around. You want the MS to flow everywhere. MS comes in quarts, you might need two of them to have enough inside to slosh around.After you are sure you have coated the entire tank, pour out the excess and let it sit a couple days. At that point, you are in great shape. Use the tank as usual.

Last edited by PetesPonies; 06-19-2012 at 07:38 PM.
PetesPonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
Richard Wilson

Plan on having to repaint the tank if you have it boiled out and sealed. I would just fix the gauge.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
Craig Lewis

Reading through all this good (& questionable) info, it sounds like a much bigger job than $250-$300 by the time it's re & re'ed, cleaned, dried, sealed and repainted.
I'd A) fix the gauge in car
or B) make sure the clean & seal person knows what they're doing and be prepared to pay more.
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
Jason in TX

I think you are making way more of this than it should be. If your car is on the road and working fine, don't mess with it.

If you remove your gas tank to have it cleaned, they are going to dip the entire thing which will damage the paint. They you have to match paint to your gas tank, reinstall, etc... Not a simple job you are talking about.

Just remove the gas gauge, change the cork gasket, and reinstall. I agree with replacing the float with a neoprene float while you are at it.

Then enjoy your A!
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #12
supergnat

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I sense that the general feeling is to just repair the gauge leak by installing a rebuild kit, buying the separate neoprene float then put it back together. I appreciate your cautions and will take your good advice. I also intend to add the tank pencil filter, rebuild the shut-off valve, and install a new screen filter in the sediment bowl and a new carburetor strainer. I appreciate all the help you provided.
Supergnat
Old 06-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #13
AlanD

The cork gaskets dissolved on me, and this was years before ethanol. I switched to neoprene.
AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #14
Bruce Adams

Changing the gauge is a one hour job. Pulling the tank is a one day job, and about the same to replace it, though I am sure some have done it quicker.
Make sure while changing the gauge to have less than 1/2 tank full and the battery disconnected. Make sure to replace the cork float with neoprene while out of the tank.
GOOD LUCK !
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #15
RichPA

If you look into the tank with a good flashlight you can see if its bad enough to have to clean it.Try to look at the top with a mirror, too. There are a lot of threads about this. Mine was real bad and had to be cleaned. The biggest problem with these tanks is the baffles inside, they make it hard to clean and may prevent a proper coating of the sealer. I decided to just remove the rust and use the pencil screen, so far so good.If the sealer comes loose afterward then you have a real problem. Good luck.
RichPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #16
PetesPonies

I thought we had people here who didn't mind getting dirty???? The procedure I detailed is very easy to do . . at least compared to most things I end up doing. It would be about $100 in materials and would not effect the finish on the outside.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #17
Bruce Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesPonies View Post
I thought we had people here who didn't mind getting dirty???? The procedure I detailed is very easy to do . . at least compared to most things I end up doing. It would be about $100 in materials and would not effect the finish on the outside.

Hi Pete,
Nice idea, but it still takes multiple hours to R&R the tank, and apparently days of spinning for stripping and sealing.
When we compare this to the OP's question about comparing that to R&R of a gas gauge, which I can do during commercials while watching TV in one evening, I see no comparison.
Best
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #18
PetesPonies

Sure, agreed . . but he made the next suggestion of getting it cleaned and sealed while at it. If he had any ideas of the tank being nasty in there, this is how I would handle it and will be doing the same for my '31
Old 06-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #19
Tom Wesenberg

I agree with Mitch in #6 and be sure to use the cork gaskets for the guage, as the black ones will swell and fail with ethanol gas.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #20
supergnat

Tom,
I thought the cork gaskets would be attacked and I should use the neoprene ones that Brattons sells separately from the rebuild kit. Which is correct?
Thanks,
Supergnat