Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
BL in NH

Default chrome plating question

Does anyone know of a good chrome plating facility in the New England area or close bye? Please, no Nu-Chrome outfits! Thanks, Bob
BL in NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:48 AM   #2
KGS

Default Re: chrome plating question

Frankford Plating in Philadelphia, Pa. One of the best in the business.
They are used by most of the high dollar restoration shops. Very expensive
but top quality.
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
Bob/Pa

Pauls Chrome in Evans City, Pa, excellent but also pricey.
Bob/Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
V12Bill

I have done four Lincoln restorations and as a blind man can see there is a lot of chrome on a Lincoln. I have had chrome done by the above listed shops and was not happy with either. Paul plated two trunk hinges without removing and replacing the hinge pins which he stated he "always" did. Frankford Plating increased their estimated price of $1100 to $1300 because the pieces "needed" work. If they were broken I could see a price for repair, but they only needed chrome! Librandti in Harrisburg, PA charged me twice to gold plate a piece that he mistakenly chrome plated. Recently NEL in Philadelphia ruined a hood ornament and there was no compensation.

You didn't like Nu-Chrome, and yet they were one of the few places that did a respectable job at a reasonable price for me. I guess it is all in the luck of the draw and whether or not the plater is having a bad day when your work is being done. It seems that the only quick places are on the reality TV shows where tons of chrome are returned perfect in a weeks time. In the real world, 2 months to 6 months seems to be the norm.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Henryat1140

People normally can have different experiences with different companies.

I and three of my friends have used Librandi's with good success. They are businesslike and adhered to the estimated completion time. In my case it was four weeks for some small stuff, my buddy's estimate was six to eight weeks; the parts were done in six weeks.

Chrome plating is ridiculously expensive, but more labor intensive than you might think.

SO I recommend Librandi's. I also had a rear convertible top window frame done at Advanced Plating in Nashville Tn. They too were businesslike and on time, but it was $350 to plate the frame - <take deep breath>.

If you need chrome work done it's just a necessary evil.
Henryat1140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
flatheadA

This is a long way from your location,there's Proctors Metal Finishing,in Muskegon Mi..
I have not used them but I have seen some of there work and it looks good.
I have no idea on cost.There number if you want ,1-800-383-4277.
I've heard of Advanced in Nashville,I understand they do good work also.

I just want to make a statement on plating,YES it is a necessary evil.I have been doing business with platers for close to 50 years.From my experience,these places don't like
small jobs and that is more so now than in the past.20 to 25 years ago there were platers everywhere that liked to do small jobs ,1 or 2 parts ,not anymore.They all want the big jobs 1000,2000 or even 500,000 to a million parts per year.
It's not an easy task to plate a part,copper, nickle then chrome and usually buffing
in between each process and if there are a lot of pits in the material, that means more copper and more buffing.Then you have the waste treatment,that's a hole other story,
there are some nasty chemicals they deal with.
Now don't get me wrong,I LOVE PLATERS(they are my bread and butter) ,chrome ,satin nickle,brass,gold,pearl bright you name it I've seen it all.You just have to remember it all takes time to do it right,and if you want it done right it's going to cost you.
Thats the most I've ever said on any forum,now I have to go rest my finger.
flatheadA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
The Hot Rod Grille

Jon Wright's Custom Chrome Plating in Grafton, Ohio. Expensive, but top quality work! They have done the plating on several Riddler Winners (the top car chosen at the Detroit Autorama each year).

963 Mechanic Street
Grafton, OH 44044

440-926-3116

www.customchromeplating.com
The Hot Rod Grille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
BL in NH

Thanks guys for the info. I have done business with Nu-Chrome in the past, pricey and took a while, but now the City of Fall River has foreclosed on them for non-payment of taxes and they have filed for bankruptcy. According to their web-site, they have re-opened in Seekonk. My big concern is what happens to parts I may have with them if they decide to close for good? Owners don't give me a good feeling. Bob
BL in NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
FRITZ47

Try Bill's Chrome in Jeannette, PA (he specializes in pot metal and so far, everything has been perfect. Small company and he gives you individual attention and treats you right. He knows what he is doing. Jeannette, PA is near Pittsburgh, but he ships all over the U.S. via USPS. Usually fast service too!

Fritz
FRITZ47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
39coupe

I've used Paul's in the past for both hot rod and jukebox parts and was never disappointed. Pricey but excellent results.
Those tools at Frankford ruined a ton of my parts and still expected me to pay for their screw-ups. Thumbs down on them and a big Pass on them.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #11
Lawson Cox

I have found that it is best to do all of the repair work ypurself before having them plated. A little time comsuming but the plating itself is the most inexpensive part of the process.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #12
pebo va

I have good experience with New England Chrome Plating in East Hartford. They are less expensive than the big names and did an excellent job for me.
pebo va is offline   Reply With Quote