Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
40ford

Default Yes,they are still out there:

John Ramsey (the old man) is a friend of mine.I have took him out to eat breakfast on many occasions.I have sat in that 40 and wished it was mine many of times and tryed to purchase it with no luck.Even though the car is gone I still take him to eat breakfast and still have good memories.It is on ebay now for sale item # 230715594670.

40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Yes,they are still out there:

Soooo...are ya sayin' he forgot to call ya when he finally decided to sell it? DD
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
40ford

Yes,he did!
Old 12-18-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
Brendan

some friend

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
Mike in AZ

owwww.....guess the buyer is flipping it, eh??...sorry you couldn't have gotten it....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
jim1932

Yes he did call you and he wanted too much? Or yes he forgot to call you?
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #7
Shadetree

I saw the car on eBay a couple of days ago and read the story. I wondered then if it was a Fordbarner's car.

I knew where my uncle's `34 Ford coupe was stored since the late 50's. I gave the guy my telephone number and told him I would pay him more than anyone else for the car. I had ridden in the rumble seat in that car in the early 50's. Fast forward several years later and I get a telephone call. The caller wanted to know if I had any Ford parts to sell. As we talked I asked him how he got my phone number. He told me he had talked to a man in Calhoun County. I told him that this same person had my uncle's `34 Ford coupe. He replied he had seen it. The next night he called back and said he had bought the coupe a week or so before he called me the first time and had pictures dragging it out of the barn. You win some, you lose some. Life is not always fair.

Shadetree
Old 12-18-2011, 11:19 PM   #8
FL&WVMIKE

SHADETREE ..........................
I had seen that '34 Coupe, when it was stored in that barn. This must have been in the mid 60s. I had taken my '34 up to Spencer, from Charleston, for a Black Walnut Festival. The owner of the coupe cornered me in a grocery store, as he wanted my phaeton. He also wanted to buy some fenders from me. The owner had several cars in that barn, including a brass "T". He also had a Model "A" Roadster that he "restored". He bought these cars, when you could buy them for less than $50.00.
He worked in Ohio and came home on weekends. He died and his son, is who sold that coupe. I do not know if the other cars are still there or not. Maybe you should check them out !
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #9
jim1932

Kinda hard to take a deceased person to breakfast..... "Even though the car is gone I still take him to eat breakfast and still have good memories."
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #10
Dak Rat

I once found a '40 deluxe coupe stored in an old shed on a farm about 80 miles north of where I live. Old woman lived on the place and would not sell as it had belonged to her son who died in a crop spraying accident years before. She was saving it for a 12 year old grandson. I said thank you, I understand, and left. Not a month later I see the car being driven down the street in my town with some highschool kid behind the wheel

After some detective work I found out a grand daughter and her boy friend had come up to visit grandma and spotted the car, talked the old lady into selling it to the kid and the rest is history.
Dak Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #11
David J

The owner of the 34 coupe Shadetree & Mikey are talking about is deceased - not the prior owner of the 40 this thread is about . After looking at the ad on epay it looks like the current owners of the 40 had NO INTENTION of keeping the car - just jockeys . I HATE when that happens but jockeys-hustlers are an infestation that has always been there & probably always will be . Sorry you didn't get a chance to buy it .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1932 View Post
Kinda hard to take a deceased person to breakfast..... "Even though the car is gone I still take him to eat breakfast and still have good memories."
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:16 PM   #12
19Fordy

40ford: I hope you had a chance to buy it after owner decided to sell.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
Django

That looks really nice. I woudn't even change the interior with the exception of the color of the dash.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:51 PM   #14
3blapcam

Hey fellas... That car was in the Barn's classifieds for a few weeks before it got posted on EBay... Just FYI! It's a shame it's being flipped! I'd love to have her!!!

3blap.
3blapcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #15
40ford

Let's see here,I don't think I said anything about the owner of the 40 being deceased!Just to make it clear he is still alive and kicking.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:25 PM   #16
hotrodA

Yes, it was on here a while back. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...light=40+coupe Asking price was $28500.

Auction site is at $23K, with reserve not met.

Yeah, TOO BAD a 40 lover didn't get it from the old gentleman.
hotrodA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:35 AM   #17
columbiA

In 1966 I was driving thru a small town about 150 miles from home in my Columbia equiped 31 A vicky when i spotted a 40 deluxe coupe behind an old service stn Some teenager had left the car there abt 5 yrs before & had never come back for it .Shop owner said the dist was shot,but give me 50 bucks &you can haul it away!---SOLD!I came back the next weekend with a spare dist &battery&had it running in no time & drove it home.It looked in same condition as in 40ford photo but interior was poor as the mice had been busy.It had a 59A with finned heads dual carbs & Fenton headers.I sold it a couple years later for $150 & thought I had done well!-Little did I know. I would love to get another one,but they are way out of reach for me now.$50 wouldnt even buy a new hub cap for one now! But at least I have some great memorys of the dozen or so early FHs that Ive had over the years.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #18
blucar

The following is not a story about a barn find old Ford, it is a story about a field found '39 Plymouth Conv. Cpe.
Many years ago I was visiting my daughter in central Montana. I went with my son in law out to a very rural farm to see about buying some grain that had been rained on and was only good for animal feed.
Upon arriving at the farm I noted a bunch of old cars, trucks and machinery out behind the barn. I asked the farmer for permission to look at the old cars/trucks, he told me to go ahead and look... Much to my surprise sitting the middle of the collection was a '39 Plym conv coupe.. Talking to the farmer I found out that the car had been sitting there for thirty-eight years... It had been purchased by the farmer in 1951 when he was 14. I told the farmer that I was interested in owning the car.... He asked me why I wanted the car? I told him I would like to restore the car, getting it back on the road. The farmer replied... That would be nice, you can have the car...
The attached photos show the car as found and how it looks now. Currently there are only thirty-six known '39 Plym conv. cpe's of the original 5k built by Chrysler...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39 Plym.6-96.1.jpg (42.2 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg 39 Plym 9-09.1.jpg (51.6 KB, 181 views)
Old 12-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #19
FL&WVMIKE

blucar ............................
What a nice story ! It's great that it was still restorable !
Good for you !
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #20
Gumpy

I marvel at what you did with the plymouth,,,i am also a plymouth fan and once bought a 49 coupe for 150. as for the 40 coupe i saw it on ebay...sometimes you have to pay the price for a car if you really want it,,,although i have only done that once when i thought i was knocking on the door,,,,
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote