Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #21
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: More fun at Jiffy Lube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post

I thought 'Can somebody who went thru the U.S. school system honestly be this stupid?' then to my horror, I realized 'yes they can.' People are getting dumber and dumber as time goes by.
You obviously weren't a regular at watching Jay Leno's "JAY-WALKING". Don't forget...these people vote, too! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:18 PM   #22
Shadetree

I get a kick out of some of the remarks at a car show. I have had some point to the radio dial and say 'What's that?' I tell them it is my cruise control. One person said `Wow, you have it set on 90.'
Old 03-07-2014, 10:18 PM   #23
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford1 View Post
A quote from the HAMB. Pictures or it didn't happen. I like a laugh please take pictures next time.
It would really have to have been video to really catch the story but that poor girl was nervous enough just with me watching her every move without me pointing a video camera at her too. So, in this instance, I'm afraid my wordy description/story is all I got. Sorry.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:26 PM   #24
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree View Post
I get a kick out of some of the remarks at a car show. I have had some point to the radio dial and say 'What's that?' I tell them it is my cruise control. One person said `Wow, you have it set on 90.'
Why wouldn't you just tell them it was your radio control if they had asked an honest question?
Old 03-08-2014, 02:16 AM   #25
Mike B

Things that happened to old henry are funny, but we have to keep it in perspective

I had a similar thing when I pulled my '59 Chevy PU in the tire bay for rear tires..

I wasn't allowed "past the customer line"...after the tires were on, I was hollering at them "from beyond" about the foot starter...but i couldn't get upset, as it reminded me of some 20+ years earlier...

My grandpa was a farmer, raised cattle (beef and dairy) and grew 40 acrs of rice on his place.

I think around somewhere in the late '50's he traded in his Ford 8N for a new tractor-either a Major or a Jubilee...whichever had just come out with overhead valves...

Anyway...after 15+ years, the old girl was losing power, he was pretty sure he had a bad valve or two...he started taknig the engine down...he pulled the head, set it aside...then called my dad.

"Ford didn't put any valves in this motor!"

I recall exactly what he said when my dad rolled the head over on it's side and showed him the valves...

"I'll be darn, why did they do that?"

So, Young doesn't know older...and older doesn't know newer...suppose it'll be like that forever
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:52 AM   #26
1952henry

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Ever see the clip from 'Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader ?' where that ditzy blond is puzzled over the capital of Hungary? She thinks Europe is a country, and it goes down hill from there. Check it out on YouTube.

I thought 'Can somebody who went thru the U.S. school system honestly be this stupid?' then to my horror, I realized 'yes they can.' People are getting dumber and dumber as time goes by.
As a reformed school teacher, I can tell you public education in some areas of the US is getting to be a joke. Kids can put a condom on a banana, but can't spell, multiply (teachers in many areas are strongly discouraged from making them learn basic facts), or even identify high profile government officials. I had a student once (well, many) who didn't do a cotton-pickin' thing all year. We had a meeting about retention (after many conferences throughout the year). Mom came up with the excuse that I looked like his brother-in-law who wouldn't let the kid see his newborn nephew, that's why he wouldn't do his math. Was he retained? Or was there any consequence for doing nothing, wasting everyone's time (and tax dollars)? NOPE!!

The middle school I taught at had a science teacher who showed the movie "Day after Tomorrow" as part of his curriculum. Just helps create more useful idiots.

Events that unfold daily, unchecked, could be considered proof that the Constitution is not being taught.

Of course not all the blame can be place on schools; more and more, parents are culpable as well. Too busy with Facebook, dating, etc. to exhibit an interest in their children's education. And let's not forget unions that insist on seniority lists when districts have to make staff cuts. Also, there's the leftists' opposition to school choice curtailing parents' desires to get their kids out of failing schools and into environments that promote learning.

Okay, off the soapbox!

Last edited by 1952henry; 03-08-2014 at 03:38 AM.
1952henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:54 AM   #27
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
You obviously weren't a regular at watching Jay Leno's "JAY-WALKING". Don't forget...these people vote, too! DD
Guess which party???
Old 03-08-2014, 03:54 AM   #28
Mart

Don't trip over the line into getting political, fellas.

Personally I don't let anyone work on my stuff, unless it's stuff I can't do like balancing tyres or boring a block.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:10 AM   #29
BILL WZOREK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Moore View Post
I love it, reminds me of the time I was in Texas wiring money to Alaska, the girl couldn't make the computer program work because she entering Alaska as a foreign country, I was just smiling and enjoying the show, then she finally calls her supervisor over who does the exact same thing.
Ralph:
You never said how old the girl was maybe she was old enough to remember when Alaska was part of Russia
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:02 AM   #30
BILL WZOREK

You Know we sit here and point and laugh but there is a saying ( I am sure I don't have it exactly correct but ) IT TAKES A VILLAGE TO RAISE A CHILD
My thinking is Life is a education & we should learn every day.

Henry, You say that you want some one to work on your car,Then you have a situation where a little Girl is working ( that fact alone should be praised ) < not the Girl part BUT the working part>
She is working in pretty much a Mans domain ( CARS )
You had the opportunity to Teach her & in turn have some one that you could go back to & know the oil change would be done as you wanted.
You thought it funny that they did not know every thing about your 47 / HECK the car was probably built before she was a twinkle in her parents eye!

Henry is a car of your generation yet you have to ask / what is this / how does this work,
what is this noise / & you get disturbed if there are snickers at your Questions.
I am sure that if we were to follow you with a video camera when you are doing your maintenance we would get a good chuckle .

My comments are not meant to be a dig at you but how there was a lost opportunity there.

One of my children was having problems with there history home work. I could not under stand why he was having problems understand it Then he said Dad there was a lot less history when you were young!!!

How many of us could jump right in and properly maintain one of the new cars now ??

EVERY DAY IS A EDUCATION ~ HECK THERE WAS A TIME THAT THE U.S. PATTEN OFFICE WAS CLOSED BECAUSE THERE WAS NOTHING ELSE TO INVENT !!!

GO FIGURE

BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #31
Old Henry

On this subject I thought you all may enjoy this video of a college student trying to figure out how long it takes to travel 80 miles going 80 miles per hour. 9½ million people have. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhm7-LEBznk
Old 03-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #32
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK View Post
You had the opportunity to Teach her & in turn have some one that you could go back to & know the oil change would be done as you wanted.
This was the same girl that changed the filter last time. (She couldn't believe I was back so soon and how many miles I'd driven since last time.) That's why she got removing the lid and changing the filter OK. I just added the draining of the oil out of the canister this time and taught her that so hopefully, next time, she'll be able to do that without any coaching. I will provide the proper end wrench or socket for that little plug though.

I had been underneath several times coaching the greaser on that fine art so he's got that down pretty well now. I still provide the diagram for him to follow. I also grease the king pins myself with the front end in the air while turning the steering wheel back and forth to work it in.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #33
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
On this subject I thought you all may enjoy this video of a college student trying to figure out how long it takes to travel 80 miles going 80 miles per hour. 9½ million people have. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhm7-LEBznk
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here. Dumb blonde? Commentary on the educational system in this country? Poor cognitive reasoning? As a professor I would expect you could recognize satire when you see it and clearly TCHappenings is a comedy duo with many YouTube posts.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #34
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here. Dumb blonde? Commentary on the educational system in this country? Poor cognitive reasoning? As a professor I would expect you could recognize satire when you see it and clearly TCHappenings is a comedy duo with many YouTube posts.
No point. Just funny. Sorry you didn't like it. My wife and I did. Hope it was acted. I'd hate to think it was real. If it was acting they did pretty good in this later interview about the video as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ordps6MbPhg

Last edited by Old Henry; 03-08-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #35
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK View Post
Ralph:
You never said how old the girl was maybe she was old enough to remember when Alaska was part of Russia
Maybe it was the girl who could see Russia from her front porch?
Old 03-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #36
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Maybe it was the girl who could see Russia from her front porch?
What's Tina Fey got to do with it?
Old 03-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #37
FL&WVMIKE

I wouldn't even try to work on the modern cars. Maybe to change the oil.
I would be the dumb white headed fellow.
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #38
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
I wouldn't even try to work on the modern cars. Maybe to change the oil.
I would be the dumb white headed fellow.
MIKE (mikeburch)
You have to remove acres of plastic to even see the engine on our 2013 Explorer.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #39
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952henry View Post
What's Tina Fey got to do with it?
Obviously, you're one of the very few that understands the REAL story there. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #40
jim1932

The fact that they had to go looking for the standard tools is exactly why they keep stripping the head of my drainplug in my modern american pickup. Using metric on standard size plugs.