Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2014, 02:53 AM   #1
37coop

Default 51 F1 cant get the hub caps to secure properly.

Hi guys ,spent ages trying to get the hub caps to fit securely and in the end left them off the truck for its first outing since resto,because I think they would fly off.
They are new repro and very thin going onto new wheels ,(both came with the truck when I imported it) ,as with all of us I,v fitted and taken off a million hub caps over the years but never had this problem ,they were fitted when the truck arrived and taken off for the restoration.
scratching my head a bit on this one ,anybody else had this problem? ,its not a good look without them . thanks Jim.
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:02 AM   #2
Barry-ct

Default Re: 51 F1 cant get the hub caps to secure properly.

I would try to find some NOS ones. They appear on Ebay at times. They are much thicker and won't bend like the repo ones do. It is an "art" to get them on without bending. Use the palm of your hand by the edge of the cap and pop them on gently.

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
Mart

Depending on how you fancy going about it, you could either put a couple of turns of electrical insulation tape around the hubcap, or a little bit o weld on the nubs of the wheel. I had a set where one was loose, and used the tape method to make it a bit tighter.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
blucar

As a general rule, the '40-66 Ford wheels, with the inside hubcap knobs do a very good job of securing the hubcaps.. The palm of your hand to secure the caps to the wheel is a good one.
I suspect that the "repop" caps you bought are the problem.. They are probably thin and oversize... Take the time to search out some original caps on eBay..
The tape trick might work for a short period of time, however, it's just a "band-aide" in lieu of a perminate fix..
Old 07-15-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
Teich

Sounds like my wheels. in the center of the wheel there are "bumps" that hold the cap in grind some of the hump off on the inside so the cap has a ledge to latch to did this to my wheels I also use a wooden driver about 1/2X1" 6"long to drive cap in use the small outer flange, if the latching part of the cap looks bent in use a lady finger bar to bend it out a little Laurie
Teich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
37coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Depending on how you fancy going about it, you could either put a couple of turns of electrical insulation tape around the hubcap, or a little bit o weld on the nubs of the wheel. I had a set where one was loose, and used the tape method to make it a bit tighter.

Mart.
Thanks Mart ,I did think of the welding trick but thought it was a bit O.T.T
I think that could be the answer but I will try the tape trick first ,its not a good look bare wheeled

By the way you was right about the thread of the temp gauge bulb to the V8 pilot ,I received an adaptor today ...to n.p.t, spot on ,Many thanks Jim.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #7
37coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teich View Post
Sounds like my wheels. in the center of the wheel there are "bumps" that hold the cap in grind some of the hump off on the inside so the cap has a ledge to latch to did this to my wheels I also use a wooden driver about 1/2X1" 6"long to drive cap in use the small outer flange, if the latching part of the cap looks bent in use a lady finger bar to bend it out a little Laurie
Thanks Laurie I think the problem could also be the wheels ,they are new and the holding lugs seem a bit smaller than I,m used to seeing , thanks JIM.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
B-O-B

37coop,You might try a dab of silicone on the edge of the hubcaps.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote