Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
Ross6860

Default What Value is Originality in a Driver?

I'm new to this era of vehicle.

I have never been concerned about tearing a car apart and building it the way I want. I have also never had a vehicle that anyone would consider to have any real collector value. They were/are just my toys.

So I now have this '36 Tudor that appears to have a lot of original, or at least period correct replacement parts. Motor, trans, still has mechanical brakes, stock dash and mohair interior, stock suspension, etc. It also has had some very minor mods - Mallory ignition, Red's headers, duals.

It's been restored and I would call it a 2-minus vehicle. It has some mechanical and electrical issues, but looks very good, plus.

I've now driven it enough to know I wouldn't want to drive it 400 miles.

Am I doing any disservice to the vehicle if I rip out the old cloth wiring and install a custom wiring harness? Get rid of the steering wheel control switches, install a T5, juice brakes, tube shocks, anti-roll bars, seat belts, etc.

Tell me there are plenty of these cars original and well preserved and not to worry about performing some tasteful mods to make this one a more practical and comfortable driver for today. Or tell me to leave it alone, it's a piece of history. I can always sell it and just get a Mustang

I'm not too concerned about re-sale either way. If I mod it up I'll probably keep it until I pass (unless my wife finds a coupe or roadster she likes better).

Great site BTW, and thanks to all that make it so.

Tons of info and smart folks here with lots of vintage Ford experience.
Ross6860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
Strick

Default Re: What Value is Originality in a Driver?

Anti-roll bars? If you're serious, sell it! Will probably get more favorable responses on the HAMB than here...
Strick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
tierod

Do the brakes and seatbelts, leave the rest as is.
tierod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
19Fordy

Post a couple of photos showing exterior and interior for more helpful replies. I would say that unless it's a pristine car, make the changes you want to and enjoy the ride - especially if you plan to keep it.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
ford38v8

I hold a different point of view. An antique car, no matter the make or model, should impart to the owner a feeling of the history gone before. A radio, for instance, should take a few minutes to warm up, have a hum, static while tuning, all the things that have been improved upon over the years. If it's modern convenience and horsepower you want, buy the Mustang. Legroom and history, continue being then caretaker for the '36.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

Here's the post you made a few days ago.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114809

I think you were given lots of ideas on what you could do without making major modifications to determine how the car would perform/handle. I gave you a list of things that I have done to improve performance/handling on a basically original car. I doubt you have made any of these changes in three days that would tell you how the original suspension would work if it was brought back to original specifications. I believe you said you wanted to drive your car for a year before you made any major changes.
So many of these basically original cars have been modifi;ed with modern engines, transmissions, rearends and suspensions. Exteriors customized and painted some wild bright colors. In short order the owner gets tired of this "me too" approach street rod and the car goes up for sale in places like eBay, Craigs List, etc. Or, in many cases, these cars get cut up, modified, and partially finished when the owner loses interest in the project and tries to sell it as an unfinished basket case.
So, bottom line is...IMO, I would suggest keeping it as original as possible, BUT, it's your car and your call as to what you want to do with it. Nobody here can really make the decision for you. JMO

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 08-20-2013 at 06:44 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #7
koates

Its only original once and so is the experience of driving a car as it was built, and reliving the history.Preserve the history for others to enjoy . Any backyard mechanic, hotrodder, etc can ruin all that in one afternoon. Plenty of other modified cars, bodies, chassis, components around to play with and to build what your heart desires. Thousands of variously modified cars and hot rods around but not so many original vehicles now. MY VIEW, LEAVE IT ALONE. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #8
Vic Piano

If it were mine I'd keep it close to original, the dual exhaust are a nice add-on, Flatheads make beautiful music that way and the '36 (like most "Fat Fenders") is a beautiful car. Bottom line... It's your car... Do as you please. Have fun with it.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #9
Bruce in southern OH

Ross, depends with the people you run with, cheaper to find one that is modified, lots of cars for sale, keep us updated, Bruce
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:42 AM   #10
jimTN

You have not said what year and model the car is. Mech brakes are easy to fix with floaters that are better than the average shadetree hyd conversion. The original wire harness with repop new wires is IMHO better than a rats nest of visible plastic. You can add signal lights without destroying anything original. A T 5, that is getting into butchering the frame into a non restorable mod. Why not buy a stovebolt and cut it up if you want to midify a antique car?
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #11
Henry Hopper

Upgrade the brakes,service all the running gear and see how it drives......if the wiring is shot you can get new cloth covered looms ,if the steering is in need of updating you can fit 1940 steering box......a lot of the pleasure in owning an Early V8 Ford is the fact that it has an old car feel and smell to it...don't rip the soul out of it and make it a sheep in wolfs clothing.
Henry Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:51 AM   #12
coupe5w36

Ross, this (obviously) is a rather contentious issue. Bottom line is "it's your car". Having said that, let me tell you about my '36. Body is standard & I would seriously discourage anyone from messing with Henry's style & shape. I'm running a flathead with a 5-speed behind it. My car also runs a Jaguar XJ6 front end with good brakes & steering. I also have a BW rear axle on parallel leaf springs. I drive the car everyday in some fairly serious traffic. Every modification made is a "bolt-on", even the front end. In other words, the car can be put back to stock & the only evidence would be a small number of extra holes in the chassis (which could be plugged if a new owner wanted to). If you're going to use the car heaps, it must be "nice" to drive, otherwise you'll soon stop driving it. If you choose to make changes, try to do things in a way that doesn't destroy anything, then there is always the option to return it to standard should you desire to in the future. I almost forgot to add I'm using a new wiring loom which is cloth covered like the original.
coupe5w36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #13
Marv

If it were mine i would go with safety issues and swaybars would be one, for me. Unless they want to lay under it they will not see them anyway. If they are that nosey let them go for it. Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #14
Fe26

Are you sure you're on the right forum? Seems to me you are a prime candidate for our sister site HAMB.

IMO Buy yourself a Mustang rather than try to convert an old car into something you'll never be happy with. Let someone else take ownership or stewardship of this car, someone who will appreciate it for what it is, someone who understands the part of history it occupies, and will accept her for what she is.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #15
4t8v8

I did modify my '48 F1. Only to update the original drive train (flathead) and make it more dependable, comfortable and add a little power as I use it as a daily driver and a truck to haul anything I want to. Everything is bolt on. Didn't do any welding or chopping so it could go back original fairly easily except for the T5 transmission. Kept the old parts. I will never part with it as I've owned the drive train since new. I guess it depends on if you are going to keep it and use it, show it or sell it.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #16
Charlie Stephens

I would buy the Mustang. I used to drive a '66 GT Mustang as an every day car for 10 years, I drove a '57 T Bird every day for 5 years and have owned early Fords between 1931 and 1937. It sounds like war you really want is the Mustang, why start with a good '36 and try to build a newer car (that will never quite get there) when it is easier to just buy one and it will be better for what you want. The road you are planning to go down will destroy much of the "charm" of the old car and not give you the comfort of a newer one.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 08-20-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #17
Ross6860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick View Post
Anti-roll bars? If you're serious, sell it! Will probably get more favorable responses on the HAMB than here...
Why? That's one of the more innocuous mods one could make. It does no harm, but has positive impact on handling and ride, and can be removed in 30 minutes.

I don't want favorable replies, just cogent ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
I hold a different point of view. An antique car, no matter the make or model, should impart to the owner a feeling of the history gone before. A radio, for instance, should take a few minutes to warm up, have a hum, static while tuning, all the things that have been improved upon over the years. If it's modern convenience and horsepower you want, buy the Mustang. Legroom and history, continue being then caretaker for the '36.
1964 1/2 isn't really modern

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Here's the post you made a few days ago.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114809

I think you were given lots of ideas on what you could do without making major modifications to determine how the car would perform/handle. I gave you a list of things that I have done to improve performance/handling on a basically original car. I doubt you have made any of these changes in three days that would tell you how the original suspension would work if it was brought back to original specifications. I believe you said you wanted to drive your car for a year before you made any major changes.
So many of these basically original cars have been modifi;ed with modern engines, transmissions, rearends and suspensions. Exteriors customized and painted some wild bright colors. In short order the owner gets tired of this "me too" approach street rod and the car goes up for sale in places like eBay, Craigs List, etc. Or, in many cases, these cars get cut up, modified, and partially finished when the owner loses interest in the project and tries to sell it as an unfinished basket case.
So, bottom line is...IMO, I would suggest keeping it as original as possible, BUT, it's your car and your call as to what you want to do with it. Nobody here can really make the decision for you. JMO
Thanks for the honest reply.

I'm not going to make any major changes for quite some time, but I plan way ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Its only original once and so is the experience of driving a car as it was built, and reliving the history.Preserve the history for others to enjoy . Any backyard mechanic, hotrodder, etc can ruin all that in one afternoon. Plenty of other modified cars, bodies, chassis, components around to play with and to build what your heart desires. Thousands of variously modified cars and hot rods around but not so many original vehicles now. MY VIEW, LEAVE IT ALONE. Regards, Kevin.
Thanks for your input. It would certainly be easier on my wallet to keep it vintage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe5w36 View Post
Ross, this (obviously) is a rather contentious issue. Bottom line is "it's your car". Having said that, let me tell you about my '36. Body is standard & I would seriously discourage anyone from messing with Henry's style & shape. I'm running a flathead with a 5-speed behind it. My car also runs a Jaguar XJ6 front end with good brakes & steering. I also have a BW rear axle on parallel leaf springs. I drive the car everyday in some fairly serious traffic. Every modification made is a "bolt-on", even the front end. In other words, the car can be put back to stock & the only evidence would be a small number of extra holes in the chassis (which could be plugged if a new owner wanted to). If you're going to use the car heaps, it must be "nice" to drive, otherwise you'll soon stop driving it. If you choose to make changes, try to do things in a way that doesn't destroy anything, then there is always the option to return it to standard should you desire to in the future. I almost forgot to add I'm using a new wiring loom which is cloth covered like the original.
Thanks. This is the approach I've taken with my other cars. All so far most were 60's and 70's vintage, but I stick to bolt-ons that can be removed, and I don't cut and tub anything.

I will never cut this car up. If it can't be bolted on or fit without serious mods it won't get done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe26 View Post
Are you sure you're on the right forum? Seems to me you are a prime candidate for our sister site HAMB.

IMO Buy yourself a Mustang rather than try to convert an old car into something you'll never be happy with. Let someone else take ownership or stewardship of this car, someone who will appreciate it for what it is, someone who understands the part of history it occupies, and will accept her for what she is.

Why do you assume I will never be happy with it, or that I have no appreciation for what the vehicle is?

You don't know me, what my expectations are, or what skill-set I possess. The Mustang thing was supposed to be a joke...I've already had a couple.

I'm definitely on the correct forum. I wanted to ask the opinion of folks that are "experts" on this particular vehicle era. I know most here are devoted to vintage correct restoration or preservation, but that doesn't necessarilly leave out folks that perform "restifications".

My Torino is running modern A/C, a modern stereo, radial tires, front and rear ant-roll bars, KYB shocks, PST suspension, and has 2008 Pontiac bucket seats in it. No, it won't win a concourse show because it's not original and it's not even all Ford, but it runs and handles better than new, and is more comfortable to drive. It's also a 40-year old car that still has its soul and can be driven anywhere, by anybody.
Ross6860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #18
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross6860 View Post
I'm new to this era of vehicle.

I have never been concerned about tearing a car apart and building it the way I want. I have also never had a vehicle that anyone would consider to have any real collector value. They were/are just my toys.

So I now have this '36 Tudor that appears to have a lot of original, or at least period correct replacement parts. Motor, trans, still has mechanical brakes, stock dash and mohair interior, stock suspension, etc. It also has had some very minor mods - Mallory ignition, Red's headers, duals.

It's been restored and I would call it a 2-minus vehicle. It has some mechanical and electrical issues, but looks very good, plus.

I've now driven it enough to know I wouldn't want to drive it 400 miles.

Am I doing any disservice to the vehicle if I rip out the old cloth wiring and install a custom wiring harness? Get rid of the steering wheel control switches, install a T5, juice brakes, tube shocks, anti-roll bars, seat belts, etc.

Tell me there are plenty of these cars original and well preserved and not to worry about performing some tasteful mods to make this one a more practical and comfortable driver for today. Or tell me to leave it alone, it's a piece of history. I can always sell it and just get a Mustang

I'm not too concerned about re-sale either way. If I mod it up I'll probably keep it until I pass (unless my wife finds a coupe or roadster she likes better).

Great site BTW, and thanks to all that make it so.

Tons of info and smart folks here with lots of vintage Ford experience.
So far as I am concerned, you can do as many modifications and upgrades as you like and not do a disservice to the vehicle, just don't do a disservice to yourself buy missing the opportunity to do so. Satisfy yourself not someone else's vision of what they like.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #19
oldblue

Bottom line . It's your car do whatever you want so you will enjoy it.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #20
BILLF/TRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe5w36 View Post
I agree with coupe 5W36. Keep the car as original looking as possible but if you are going to drive it a lot you'll need to modify a bit. I have done what coupe5w36 has on his except my front end is stock with reversed spring eyes and less 2 leaves--still very stiff. To me a 200-300 mile trip is still an "adventure" as the bouncing and wind noise with windows down and cowl vent open make the ride still far different than a modern car.

If you want to drive to the local Dairy Queen or around town, than leave the car totally stock. If you are doing some serious driving than you will eventually want to modify it slightly.
BILLF/TRF is offline   Reply With Quote